Sunday 10 March 2024

Level 2 Day #3 : Carnivoring At A Wedding

On day #3 (last Sunday) I was at a wedding. Sunday is typically a day when I don't go anywhere (except to Aeon for groceries).

So Never on a Sunday is my motto. LOL! It is a day when (after I complete my chores) I sit back, relax and watch Law & Order SVU on Netflix.

But when you are summoned, well, in some situations saying no is not an option. I did swear that I would not attend another wedding for the reason that the dinner (or lunch whichever case may be) never starts on time. The last three weddings I attended were herehere and here.


So my partner and I got there 30 minutes before the appointed time. There were many guests already seated. Yes, I like punctual people.


I made a pact with my partner before we got there. There will be certain things that I won't eat. But I will still fill my plate. But you eat for me. LOL!


We were the first at our table. So first thing is always check the menu. Hah!


More guests were arriving and our table was almost complete. 

As an observation, there was a gorgeous young lady whose choice of outfit was rather daring.


You can see her on the upper right quadrant of the photo. An elderly gentleman at our table was rather disapproving. I guess he holds on to old values where we ladies ought to be modest the way we dress. I don't blame her. The weather is very hot!


There were wedding favors (chocolates) on every table. In the past I would have opened it and munched. Our table was soon complete. The invitation said 12:00pm sharp.


Here in Malaysia, the word "sharp" in reference to time has no meaning. It was close to 1:00pm and nary a platter was in sight.

Ah! The arrival of the bride and bridegroom!


Which pretty much signals that food will be served soon. The people sitting closest to the bridal couple's path get to chuck stuff at them. I mean shower them with (synthetic) rose petals.

Finally. Food.


The Forever Love Combination - Golden Seafood Roll (won't eat), Jelly Fish with Sesame Sauce and Pork Trotters (will eat), Salt & Pepper Stuffed Scallop Cake (won't eat) and Stir Fried Chicken with Capsicum & Macadamia Nuts (will eat).


That thing on the soup spoon I passed to my partner. Yes, I enjoyed the jelly fish and pork trotters to the max.


Next was this bowl of Double Boiled Fish Maw Soup with Dried Scallop, Conch, "Huai Shan" & Wolfberries (can eat). There was also chicken in the soup. Loved it!


This was my favorite dish - Crispy Chilean Cod Fish with Pomelo Sauce. The fish was deep fried to perfection. There were two young men at our table and one of them graciously served us seniors.


This was also pretty good - Fried King Prawn with Nanyang Style. I had two prawns (one was a leftover that the server transferred to a small plate).


This Braised Abalone with Prosperity Bag and Vegetables, I only ate the abalone (two) and avoided the sauce.


This one confirm I won't eat. Steamed Glutinous Rice Hong Kong Style. The smell was wonderful and my partner said it was delicious.

Surprisingly or perhaps not so surprising, the two young men at our table declined this mountain of carbs. Good, good. They know what is good or rather not good for them.


Soon it was time for desserts. Of course I did not partake.


This was my plate (so that I would look normal) and it was discreetly passed to my partner when he was done with his. 


The old me would have sapu-ed the whole lot. Yes, I can (or rather could) eat loads of desserts. Now that I know better, I stay away from these things. At least for now as I am establishing a baseline for my metabolic health.


After the beautiful couple cut their cake and poured the champagne, there was a whole lot of raucous Yam Sengs all around. 

And then it was time to sau tong. I used to get nervous and anxious (social anxiety) when attending functions like this. Well, not anymore ever since I changed my diet. I was relaxed and chill and I quite enjoyed the event woohoo!


Back home, I put the chocolates into the freezer (full disclosure, I ate them on Friday).


Dinner was air fried pork loin.


And air fried omelette. I am glad I stayed (almost) carnivore for the day. 

***Kitten Updates***


Ah Boi is very eager to come out of the box.


Caaakkk.... This fella is also showing the same tendencies.


I love seeing them playing with each other.


Aloo! Aloo! Sorry, Ah Ma is very biased towards this little girl.

10 comments:

  1. Wow!! It has been a long time I have not attended any wedding dinners. It used to be so frequent that burnt my pockets.

    The dishes served were indeed good quality selection and the Glutinous Rice HKG style is always fragrant. You were indeed a good girl and could control your eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also well behaved and did not wear my selipar Jepun. LOL!

      Delete
  2. Ah, wah, the food looks very delicious 😋🤤 I would gasak all the sweet stuffs.
    I like wedding lunches much better than wedding dinners.
    Aiyor, ah Boi eyes are so big looking at grandma 🤣😍😻what are the names of tuxedo bb n fav gurl? All of them are so cute and adorable 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I prefer wedding lunch. I will reveal the names soon.

      Delete
  3. i was about to ask the names of the kittens then I saw that Mun is asking the same too...hehehe...I also attended a wedding dinner early this year. It was a weekday (Friday) and i got to continue working (and attend work meeting) after that pulak...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adoi, gotta work after the wedding makan. LOL!

      Delete
  4. The menu for wedding banquet seem like slightly simplified if compared with last time which had 9-10 dishes (or maybe it was a luncheon?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this was a luncheon. It is my first wedding luncheon and I definitely prefer luncheon to dinner.

      Delete
  5. Oh, didn't know that these days that restaurants in a mall get selected too for wedding lunches/dinners. How to get to the venue in your wedding gown leh. Will have to pass by loads of onlookers...shy lah...hehehe! ;) Wah, you're so well behaved (and controlled) at this wedding banquet. I would have just taken it as a cheat day and indulge (only skipping the glutinous rice and dessert dishes)...lol. P/S: The two young men probably skipped the rice dish coz they want to look good (so can get a wife...hah..hah), not because it's not good for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...I didn't think about the amenities for the bride when holding a wedding do at a restaurant. Due to my lack of experience I think hah..hah..hah...

      Delete