Friday 21 July 2017

I Wore My Selipar Jepun To The Ritz Carlton


I am terrified of wedding dinners mainly due to the time overrun. And especially if the event is held on a Sunday evening. 

I am not a night person. I am the early to bed early to rise type and if the following day is a work day, sleeping late would really mess me up.

But when your cousin invites you to her son's wedding, you are inclined to attend. After all, a wedding (besides Chinese New Year) is the only time when relatives get together to catch up and have fun.

Honestly, my enthusiasm that day was rather flagging due to the following :

1. Sunday evening is the time when I sit my fat ass on the sofa with my dinner to watch a few episodes of CSI;

2. After which I curl up in bed at 9:00pm for a good snooze; 

3. I was still recovering from backache; and

4. I had nothing to wear.

But my parents were in town and would be attending the happy occasion as well. So that cheered me up.

I'm not the dressy sort, so I wore an old thing and I had a small problem. When you have backache, you cannot wear heels. Even a slight elevation of 1/2 inch would cause great discomfort.

I did not have time to buy a pair of flats so I had no choice but to wear my trusty slippers. That's really bad, isn't it? But the welfare of my back was paramount.

When I got to the reception, I saw many pretty ladies in pretty gowns and shoes. I felt very self-conscious. 


So I started snapping pictures of their lovely heels (discreetly of course).

That's my mum on the left.

I hoped no one noticed my feet.


That's me. Tsk!


Drinks were served outside the banquet hall and everyone was happily chatting away. 


Did you see that? "Dinner will start promptly as the next day is a working day". Do you believe it? Of course not. This is Malaysia. Wedding dinners never start on time.


Mum and I decided to walk into the hall to get seated. By then it was almost 7:30pm. 


By the time the first course was served, it was past 8:00pm, which is considered pretty good because I have been to dinners that start past 9:00pm.

There was even one that started at 10:00pm and had me swearing I would never attend another wedding. Ever. 


The Ritz being a posh place, we were individually served which was nice. But we (my brother and I) sort of miss having the big platter plonked in the middle of the table and we scramble to serve ourselves. That way, the big eaters get to eat more hee..hee...


The double boiled soup was rather good. I seldom get to drink this sort of soup.


The steamed seabass did not fare so well. It could have been better.

Mine.

The roasted duck was alright. My brother's plate looked better than mine.

Bro's.

There were speeches in between which resulted in a pause between courses. I felt that the guests could have been served during the speeches to save time.


This is the golden prawns, which were excellent though they did not look like prawns and the serving size was really minute.


The beancurd was cold by the time it was served. I noticed the servers waiting for a speech to end before delivering the plates. As I mentioned before, they could have delivered the plates of food during the speech.

I was really looking forwards to the carbs but bah! I forgot to snap a pic of the fried rice. It was good and I loaded the remainder of my pickled green chilies into the rice.


This crispy sesame ball was very nice and yes, we got only one each. Two would have been more balanced, no?


This last dessert was lovely, not too sweet and I would have preferred it chilled.

It was past 11:00pm by then and I was feeling sleepy. My double dose of coffee earlier in the day was wearing off.

After saying our goodbyes, we went on our way. It was past midnight when I reached home. That reminded me of Cinderella. But I had no glass slippers on me. Just my good old selipar Jepun.

34 comments:

  1. Cinderella with Selipar Jepun hihi...

    Takpe LL... orang tak perasan punya. Diaorang sure tengok muka u yang comel like Cinderella tu dulu, mungkin tak sempat pun tengok kaki u....selamat!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah.. takde lah muka LL comel. Hainom jangan imagine banyak sangat hee..hee...

      Delete
  2. Wow! Your feet is so pure white, bony and small. You are not anything near the Fat Aunty as you claimed. Now I must try to imagine you as the fairy from the Moon who loves to eat and eat.

    This Ritz hotel is really a fabulously nice and posh place except for its award location being tucked in a crammed street. Wedding dinners that are late should be blamed to the wedding hosts. Mine was punctual on the dot and many late guests walked in blushed & embarrassed with food waiting for them on the table. Oh well, we had a dinner & dance with several floor shows, no late excuses.

    #PuteriBulanPH #KakiPHcantek #DongengPuteriSelipar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't let my feet fool you. I got use camera tricks hah..hah... If only all wedding dinners are so punctual and well organised like yours.

      Delete
  3. Those are classy, your slippers. Not the blue and white rubber flip flops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are my favorite slippers. How nice you thought they are classy hah..hah...

      Delete
  4. I only saw PH beautiful feet, but not PH beautiful face, sobsssss....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just look at any old moon cake boxes and just imagine the printed fairy drawing is beautiful PH. Now stop crying ok.

      #PHdayangBulanPurnama #DongengBulanPH #KakiPHCantek #KakiTiadaBulu

      Delete
    2. Laugh die me at your hashtags! ;p

      Delete
    3. Me too laughing hah..hah....

      Delete
  5. Your narration about the wedding dinner is so cute! Lol

    Selipar jepun to a posh place means you're so filthy rich you don't need to show off. Hihihi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Aiya, if only what you said were true!

      Delete
  6. Phong Hong, your selipar Jepun looks okay to me la....Its not the common blue white rubber type of Japanese slippers. You have fair pretty feet. My big feet will not look nice in slippers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, I am so flattered you think my feet are pretty. LOL!

      Delete
  7. Aiks, when you said selipar Jepun, I thought it was those Daiso-type...hehe! ;D Recently I had to buy a quick pair (from Daiso) when my sandals broke when I was at Starling...haiz! :P Hey, these ones with design look ok what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you went to Starling! Luckily your sandals broke in a mall where you could easily get a replacement :)

      Delete
  8. PH I also selesa with sandal goes everywhere hahaa...
    Shooting pun bantai sandal jee asalkan dapat bergerak selesa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kan, Lina? PH pun gitu. Ada sekali tu sebab sakit belakang, pakai selipar ke seminar. Nasib baik tak kena sound :D

      Delete
  9. The Cinderella thingy makes me want to laugh, confidence is not about outer physical appearance, it is how you carry yourself and I am sure our PH carries herself well that outer appearance does not mean anything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thank you for your kind words, Libby :)

      Delete
  10. ooo, your selipar looks more elegant than most of my shoes! i admit, i actually don't look at shoes, so i generally don't realise what people are wearing. as a result, i tend to think that nobody looks at what's on my feet as well, so i just wear generic sports shoes cos they're the most comfortable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose you are right. People are more concerned about themselves to care about our feet LOL! I love sports shoes and I feel very comfy in them. If only I could wear them to the office.

      Delete
  11. You are so cool! Did you buy the selipar just for this occasion because it looks so pretty and presentable? Havaianas? My selipar at home looks like ham yu (salted fish) and smells like one too. Blek!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Those were my old selipar bought at Tesco. I wear them everywhere :)

      Delete
  12. No syiok to be served individually. Might as well eat western meal where it makes better sense to be served each course individually. Good that you made the effort to attend the wedding dinner in spite of your bad back and early sleeping habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, self serving is lots better as you can have seconds if the rest of the party did not eat much hee..hee...

      Delete
  13. First time I see camera snapping shoes and legs instead of dresses with low cuts! hahahaa... You are really entertaining, PH..from the top to the bottom of the post, hilarious! Your Japanese Slippers are not too bad la.. I was thinking of my house slippers, that is really the Japanese type with chinese words on them! LOL..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Just that people don't usually were slippers to wedding reception. So I felt so awkward!

      Delete
  14. You know what, at first I bayangkan selipar with blue or red kaler tu, haha..
    Never mind la, kalau kita fikir apa org cakap, kita yg susah.
    Yg penting time together gather with family member, right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betul tu ticer. Kasut tak penting :)

      Delete
  15. Nay. Dont worry too much. Everyone busy looking at the newly wed to look down and see your feet. ^^

    Posh hotel, luxurious food.

    I do agreed. Can catch up and gather with family members during weddings other than CNY. Now everyone busy with family commitment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thanks, Rose. You are right, nobody cared about my slippers :D

      Delete
  16. Lesson learnt:- Must get ready a nice pair of flats just in case you need it :P
    PS: Hopefully you are recovering from your backache now and feeling better~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! Must go shopping one of these days. Thanks, I have fully recovered!

      Delete