Sunday 26 January 2014

Cotton Soft Japanese Cheesecake Again!!!


My quest for the perfect Cotton Soft Japanese Cheesecake continues with some slight improvement. Behold my latest attempt, cracks, wrinkles and all. But notice that my cake is nice and tall with nice straight sides and minimal shrinkage. I don't know what happened that day but my egg whites were really puffy and beat up to super maximum volume.


I was super calm for some unknown reason (my heart rate and blood pressure normally escalates when I bake this cake) and I took some matters into my own hands. I tweaked the recipe all because the Tatura cream cheese I bought was a promotional pack which came with 20g extra. That means instead of 250g, I was working with 270g cream cheese.


From what I read in The Kitchen Tigress' post and video on Cotton Soft Japanese Souffle Cheesecaketoo much cream cheese causes the cake to be dense and wet. She has adapted the original recipe and cut down the cheese from 250 grams to 140 grams, thus making it lighter. But I don't want to do that because I want to use up the whole package of cheese and not end up having to stash the remainder in the fridge. What I did was increase the amount of flour and milk. And this time round, I behaved myself and used a proper waterbath. 


I used an 8" pan with removable bottom and high sides. I buttered the interior and lined it with baking paper. I also wrapped the bottom of the pan to prevent water from seeping into the pan. A springform pan is the most ideal but mine was rusty and I haven't bought a replacement yet. I then placed the pan into a 9" square pan. 

Now I see that the batter is lumpy. Hmmmm.....

After pouring the batter into the pan, I poured boiling water into the square pan and popped it into the oven. Then it was fingers crossed and as usual, I ran to the oven and peeped at the batter every 10 minutes to see if it would rise. It did rise very high and of course I was happy. But not so happy when I noticed cracks starting to form. After the cake was baked, I left it in the oven for 15 minutes (door closed) and after that I left the door ajar for 20 minutes. My cake came out looking like this :

Waarrrghhhh....!!!!!

Upon unmoulding the cake (about 30 minutes after I took it out of the oven), I was very pleased as there was minimal shrinkage and my cake did not collapse. I think the additional flour gave the cake better structure and made the cake more stable. 


But there was a technical problem. Water got in between the aluminum foil and the pan (from condensation), hence the bottom of my cake was wet. If I had used a springform pan, this would not have happened. I had to place slices of the cake on kitchen towels to soak up the water.

Notice that the bottom is damp.
The texture of the cake was good. Moist and light. And the top of the cake was dry and not wet like my previous attempts. From the photo above, it is apparent that I could have done a better job folding the two batters. I will keep that in mind on my next bake. 


So there is hope for me after all and I have a feeling that I will make more improvements in my next attempt. The recipe below is what I used and I will be testing it again sometime soon.

Meanwhile, I am taking another break for the Chinese New Year. Let me wish you Keong Hee Huat Chye/Gong Xi Fa Cai and see you soon!










Cotton Soft Japanese Cheesecake
Adapted from : Diana's Desserts

Ingredients : 

50g butter
270g cream cheese
120ml milk

140g fine granulated sugar
80g superfine flour (or ordinary cake flour)
30g cornflour
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

6 egg whites
6 egg yolks

1. Melt cream cheese, butter and milk over a double boiler.
2. Cool the mixture and fold in egg yolks, flour, cornflour and mix well. Strain mixture to remove lumps.
3. Add cream of tartar to the egg whites and whisk until foamy.  Gradually add sugar and continue to whisk until stiff peaks.
4. Take 1/3 of the egg white mixture and fold into the strained egg yolk mixture to lighten it.
5. Then add the egg yolk mixture into the egg white mixture and mix well. 
6. Bake the cake in a water bath for 1 hour and 20 minutes at 140C.
7. When the cake is done, leave it in the oven for 15 minutes and thereafter leave the door ajar for 20 minutes.
8. Remove the cake from the oven and cool for 30 minutes before removing it from the pan and peeling off the baking paper.

60 comments:

  1. Hi Phong Hong, GONG XI FATT CHOY!!
    I like your cheesecake, tall and soft :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it really has a texture of cotton!:)
    have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree this is a nice tall cake.... And thanks so much for sharing your takeaways from this bake... I definitely learnt a lot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Victoria! I think I am getting there!

      Delete
  4. It is really tall and soft. Yummy. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veronica, I will be making another attempt :)

      Delete
  5. it looks yum l think by the look of it l can eat half of the cake at one go .Tengok saja tok boleh makang

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been meaning to try japanese cheesecake. This looks so good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathleen, bake this during your school break!

      Delete
  7. 恭喜发财! The texture of your cheesecake is cottony soft. Yummy! Can't wait for your next sharing on sucessful baked cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vivian! I am thinking of trying the zebra cake version.

      Delete
  8. Eh, your cake still looks good and soft, I don't know why you need to raise your heart rate & blood pressure when you are making this ~ LOL..

    Even if it doesn't turn out well (the top part I mean), the inside will still taste good and you can just ask anyone in the family to dig & eat with a spoon! (wait, spoon again?)..

    The "problem" (with me) about NOT trying to make this cake is that it uses a water bath.. I hate that piece of extra work. Oohh, and those egg whites too.. Need to whisk them first until foamy and all.. I prefer to just sekali add in those whole eggs and mix together, kekekeke (yeah, lazy fella me)..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louiz! This cake make me "goncang" due to past bad failures. But I don't know why I am obsessed with this cake. Keep trying and trying and trying. But like you said, even when the cake looks ugly it still tastes very good. I also hate water bath but it is s must for this cake or else cannot jadi. But worth the effort lah because it is a good cake.

      Delete
  9. Hi PH! I think you are almost there, tall cake and minimum shrinkage is already an achievement by itself :) Wishing you are your family Keong Hee Huat Chai!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! And Keong Hee Huat Chai!

      Delete
  10. Wouw your cotton cheesecake texture looks really soft and smooth, I just did this few weeks ago with green tea flavour, unfortunately not as smooth as yours, not sure what happened, maybe due to the way I was too rough mixing the egg whites with the cheese :( heheeee.
    For the water got into the cake, it also happened to me once, since then I won't take a risk ..... a bit kiasu here ..... since then I always put double layers for the aluminium foil. hahahhaaaaa
    Gong Xi Gong Xi to you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi DG! Yes, I saw your cake. Looks good to me and very nice green tea color and flavor! I hate the soggy bottom of my cake so I must device something to keep the water out. Should really buy a springform pan :)

      Delete
  11. Yummmmm!!!! I love this...a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Phong Hong, very few people can resist this kind of cake. So don't worry.... enjoy it first. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kimmy! No matter how funny the shape turns out, it is always delicious! Keong Hee Huat Chye!

      Delete
  13. it's like a big ass cream cheese souffle! It just makes you want to get nekkid and roll around in it! Looks abSOLutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Toby! Thank you! It is a huge souffle isn't it? Some people call it souffle cake. I'm not sure about rolling around in it but I sure want to eat the whole cake, which of course I couldn't. But one day I will hah! hah!

      Delete
  14. Gong Xi Fa Cai to you Phong Hong, and wishing you a prosperous Year of Horse! Hopefully you master this Japanese cheesecake by end of 2014. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yen, I feel like the next one is IT! Hah! Hah! That's what I always tell myself :) Gong Xi Fa Cai!

      Delete
  15. Looks nice and tall. So yummy I just wish someone would bake for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, why don't you give it a go? You could do a better job than I did :)

      Delete
  16. Very tall cake! I'm hopeless with chiffon/sponge cakes. :P Happy CNY!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, it really surprised me to get the height! Very happy :) Gong Xi Fa Cai!

      Delete
  17. I really admire your patience in finding the perfect cotton cheesecake. I can't seem to get this cake right... sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mich, I have lost count of my attempts. Too many I think. But worth the effort as even the failures tasted good hee..hee....

      Delete
  18. Your blog is such a delight, Phong Hong. Happy Chinese New Year to you & family!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yummy cheese cake!!! Mouthwatering:)
    Phong hong happy lunar new year to u and your family! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your cake looks so soft and moist! Beautiful job, I would definitely love to have a piece (or more ;))!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Phong Hong,
    You must really like eating cotton soft cheesecake alot! And very interesting observation that you've made! I have only made this cake twice so far!
    Wish you Gong Xi Fa Cai, and A Healthy and Prosperous Year of the Horse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce, I love this cake! If I had my way or if I was one of those skinny people who can eat and eat and not put on weight, I would wallop half the cake in one sitting (very capable of that). Must achieve target weight this year. Gong Xi Fa Cai!

      Delete
  22. hey, i can understand your excitement and nervousness making this cake and with all these trials and failures, i am pretty sure one day you will make the perfect one, i'm learning the tips from you too! Have a good break, enjoy your holidays and Gong Xi Fa Cai!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lena! This won't be my last cotton cheesecake post. I will bore you all to death! Gong Xi Fa Cai!

      Delete
  23. from you picture, it look like cotton, so soft ! well done PH! Wishing you a Happy CNY and Gong Xi Fa Cai!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sonia! I was happy with the cake altho got cracks.

      Delete
  24. 流口水了Happy Chinese New Year, my dear friend, Phong Hong! I must really try your 'foolproof' Japanese Cheesecake recipe; it really is so spongy, light, and super awesome, delicious...and forget the wrinkles, and cracks; it's a natural process (only telling you, that you over-beat it a little, that's all)
    Hope you have a wonderful celebration with family, and friends...wish I was there to join you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elisabeth! Oh, I would love to see your version of this cake :) I am sure you would do a much, much, better job than I did. You will love this cake for sure!

      Delete
  25. darling...darling my darling..jgn kecik ati ya kak Q lambat wish di sini...*wink
    thank you for the kind mention kat prev post hehehe...kak tertinggal keretapi nampaknya chiss! hehe
    PH ooo PH....naik bingung kepala akak bila masuk sini...sana sedap situ pun sedap...badan pun dah makin berat ni...makin ku tahan makin takleh tahan nampaknya..semua sedap2 belaka! sedap yg membawa mengidap hehehe
    psst...ini rahsia tau, kalau cheese cake setakat 500g tu akak pernah ngapp sekali seating depan TV, dua kali!!! betul ni tak tipu..lepas tu nyesal tak sudah2! kesan dia sampai sekarang masih ada tertinggal sebagai kenang2an...bila picit perut banyak lemak lembut2 tiga tingkat...itu lah dia!!!

    PH dear, berhati2 dijalanraya tau! moga tahun ini bertambah sehat, makmur dan kayaraya serta success dlm segala yg diusaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kak Q! Sorry, ya lambat reply. Dashyat tu Kak Q! Hee..hee...PH pun agaknya boleh ngap sebijik kek tapi tak pernah buat lah hee...hee...Lemak-lemak tu kalau dah lekat-lekat kat body, alahai...seumur hidup lah dia melekat. Sedih betul!

      Terima kasih atas ucapan selamat, Kak Q. PH mahukan sehat dan makmur. Cukup lah tu, kan. Tapi kalau dapat rezeki lebih sikit tu, PH bersyukur lah. Health is wealth!

      Delete
  26. Happy Chinese New Year!!!
    the jcc seems like a silky smooth, great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Phong Hong,

    Huat-wise! Your tall Jap cheesecake looks really good :p

    Your cake is not perfect enough... Nevermind. I have learned a lot from my Jap cheesecake bake too and I reckon it is the recipe that makes a lot of difference. I still like the one from Little Teochew. Not so eggy, light and very delicious.

    Hope that your next cheesecake bake is flawless with 100% success!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zoe! This cake will make it's appearance again and hopefully the next one will be near perfect hah..hah...

      Delete
  28. Hi Phong Hong,

    I just tried your recipe but I fail, the cake was dense and started to shrink the moment I turn off the oven. When it was baking it did rise very well and looks good with a little bit of crack top but looked good. The the moment the oven turn off I noticed it shrink and shrink inside the oven.
    I follow your recipe and instructions but the cake definitely unlike yours....
    I don't even know what I did wrong...!
    Was it my meringue...?
    Was it too much milk...?
    Was it my cake flour...?
    Was it the cream cheese...?

    Please advise what maybe my problem...
    Thanks,
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John! You have my sympathies. My first cake was a failure too. It shrank and became flat like a punctured tyre! I am afraid that I am not able to pin point what is wrong with your cake. What I can tell you is that practice makes perfect. I noted from experience that three factors that affect this cake is (1) your egg whites must be beaten till stiff peaks (2) the two batters must not be over mixed and (3) the water bath is a must. I am sure you did all three and all I can say is - please try again! Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Your cake is number one.Thanks your recipe.

      Delete
  29. Hi Phong Hong your blog is such a delight!
    I like your cheesecake, so tall and soft :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear! And thank you for dropping by my blog :)

      Delete