Tuesday 24 October 2017

Burnt Cheesecake


You might have thought, oh no! PH had another cheesecake disaster! Actually this cake is meant to be burnt. Cool, right?

You gotta love this Burnt Cheesecake because for the first time in your life, you can let go, relax and not be all anxious about leaving your cake in the oven for too long. 


I learnt about this cheesecake from Mun and Kris and of course I was curious. But since I don't have a chance to visit those places anytime soon, I reckon I just had to bake one myself.

The ingredients are easy - cream cheese, double cream, eggs, sugar and flour. You don't even have to prepare a biscuit base. To line the pan, you just simply scrunch up some baking paper and shove it into the pan.

One more good news, no waterbath. Yay!


I found a few recipes and followed the one here. Most recipes call for 1kg of cream cheese. That is too much for me so I simply halved the recipe.

This is how it looked like just out of the oven. All cracked and wobbly.


But never fear. Once it cools, it will shrink and the cracks  magically disappear (though it will still look ugly).


I baked the cake at 180C (my other cheesecakes are baked at 140C) for 1 hour and added an extra 5 minutes for it to get that deeper brown caramelization.


I let it cool completely in the pan while I went to the mall for another round of poke bowl hee..hee..

My way of cooling cheesecake.
With the benefit of hindsight, I think it is best to cool it for an hour and then remove the cake to sit on a cooling rack (with the baking paper intact) because I found quite a bit of condensation at the bottom of the cake.


I was apprehensive about the taste because I was afraid it would be too cheesy for me (because there is no vanilla in this cake). My fears were unfounded because I found the cake delicious (to my surprise!).

It's just like having a slice of cheese tart filling and it is the burnt surface that contributes to its unique flavor. Think our local kueh bakar and you will have an idea.


I did not quite nail the texture of the cake. From photos I have seen, the texture is barely set and creamy. Mine is firm but still soft and melt-in-the-mouth. Perhaps I could tweak the temperature (say 200C and monitor the browning) and timing. 

But whatever it is, I am still quite happy with this first attempt.


Burnt Cheesecake
Recipe source : Adapted from This New View

Note : I halved the original recipe and baked the cake in an 8" springform pan at 180C (original recipe 220C, which I will attempt at 200C in future) for 1 hour and 5 minutes.

Ingredients :
- 500g Philadelphia cream cheese, at room temperature
- 170g caster sugar
- 200 ml double cream
- 4 eggs
- 18g flour

Method :
1. Line the cake pan with baking paper and ensure that the paper extends about 2 inches above the rim of the pan (the cake will rise above the rim in the oven)
2. Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and sugar until creamy.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Add double cream and beat until well incorporated.
5. Sift flour into the batter in 3 additions and use a spatula to fold until well mixed.
6. Pour batter into the prepared pan, tap it a few times to release trapped air bubbles.
7. Bake at 180 (please adjust according to your oven) for an hour or slightly more until the top of the cake is a deep brown. Do not overbake or else the top will be too dark and will taste bitter.

72 comments:

  1. Nice green! My food cover is red. Ya, looks like kuih bingka and come to think of it, they do have bingka cheese here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh? Bingka cheese? That must be very nice to eat. I wonder if we have that over here.

      Delete
  2. For a first attempt, this certainly looks like a success! I actually haven’t had the burnt cheesecakes at the two or three popular outlets that serve them in KL, but based on your effort, you can certainly do them yourself when you have your baking skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sean :) Well, when you do have them, I would like to know what you think!

      Delete
  3. Wow, the texture looks perfect to me!!! It cut like a dream. But I bet it will be exactly the way you want it next time, but I'd be happy to take the rest of this baby off your hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy! Coming from you, that is a major compliment :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, gorgeous..yummeh.
    Nak try lah.
    Kena cari ingredients dia dulu, sbb I never buy cream cheese, double cream all that, hihi..teruk kan org tak tau buat kek ni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, ticer :) Takpe, PH pun jarang beli. Just saje nak try sebab orang kata kek ni sedap.

      Delete
  5. Lama tak beli cheese cream cream bagai ni LL. Maklumlah kan allergik duk dapur hihi...
    Tp nampak sedaplah LL. Kalau rajin, senang je ni kan buatnya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Senang nak buat kek ni. Kalau Hainom tak percaya, boleh lebur2 jer kek ni. Cuba tengok rupa paras kek ni, memang ada rupa lebur habis. hee..hee...

      Delete
  6. Never knew of a burnt cheesecake but I guess with thay extra burn taste, this cake tasted different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew about it until I read from blogs. Apparently they say it is the best cheesecake. One whole cake costs RM200.

      Delete
  7. It doesn't look like the cake is so burnt. It would be more crunchy at the top and soft at the bottom...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Compared to regular cheesecake, this one suffered 3rd degree burns hah..hah..

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing! I wanna make one, I never made one in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome,Lei! Try it. Very easy cake to bake and it taste good. If it comes out burnt and ugly, you got it right. LOL!

      Delete
  9. If PhongHong can't get to the burnt cheesecake...PhongHong will 'make' the cheesecake come to her...kikiki! :D There's only one thing wrong with this cheesecake....the slices aren't big enough! ^o^ I hope you get to try the one in DC Mall some day (which I think you can get to since it's still within the area you prowl...Damansara!) ^_~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I was curious enough to be so motivated to bake my own. I must go and taste the real deal at DC Mall.

      Delete
  10. This cheesecake looks perfect to me, the way you describe the taste sounds like something I would really like. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, drooling over your first shot. As I've gotten older I eat less and less sweet things, but cheesecake I make an exception for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't say no to cheesecake either. It's always a deal breaker when I am trying to diet LOL!

      Delete
  12. I have sweet tooth, so cake, I like, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I saw your photo 1 I thought to myself that it looks like the best cheesecake in kl that I have eaten in Tokyo Restaurant, Isetan Lot 10 and sure enough it was confirmed by reading the rest of your post. It sure looks so tasty so you don't need to eat at TTR or DC anymore. The one I ate at TTR is well baked, not that soft and burnt at the sides too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to taste thw one at TTR or DC at least once so that I know if I got it right :)

      Delete
  14. Can see that the cheese cake turned out very well and if only I can get a piece of the cake. Yums!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The colour is nice and the texture looks good! I love any thing made of cheese. When will you open this shop? Terengganu needs a good bakery so badly.

    #KedaiKekHongMek #KekKejuBakar #SedapGiler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I don't want any stress to drive me crazy. So I will just bake as a hobby.

      Delete
  16. Eventhough it's was burnt (but I call it garinggg siket ajer) texture looks yummy...
    Boleh makan abes punya ni heheee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lina! Kira macam kuig bakar gitu. Tak sangka sedap cheesecake ni.

      Delete
  17. I don't mind to have a cracked cake as long as it is tasty! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like it burnt on top and soft at the bottom

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have yet visit those place for "best cheesecake in town" too but I think I can't bake it at home due to my baking skill >_<
    BTW: double cream? Which section can we find it in supermarket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get double cream at the cold dairy section where they sell whipping cream.

      Delete
    2. Double cream is different than whipping cream?

      Delete
    3. Yes, it is different. Double cream is very thick.

      Delete
  20. For this particular cheesecake, would you stick to Philadelphia or would Tatura be fine?

    Esther

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esther! I would use Philadelphia for this because Tatura is not as smooth. But I don't think it is a major issue if you used Tatura.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your prompt reply. Have a great day!

      Delete
  21. Hey. I've made the cheesecake as per recipe but I find that it weeps and has a puddle of liquid pooling at the bottom as it looks down to room temperature. Is this normal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine had some condensation but no pooling. I suggest that you remove the cake from the pan (together with the baking paper) to cool on the rack. It might help. I have yet to bake this cake a second time.

      Delete
  22. Can share where I can buy the double cream or mind to share the double cream brand and image ? Because find in Jaya grocer , Aron and baking shop . Can’t don’t the double cream . Thank u

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the double cream from Jaya Grocer. The brand is Bulla.

      Delete
  23. I tried making this cake but turns out it had puddle of liquid like the comment ����. The texture was also pudding-like instead of cheesecake. Itu makan masa suam suam lagi la. Lepas tu simpan dalam fridge satu malam. Pagi ni tiba tiba berubah! The texture became soft and cheesecake-like. Was yours like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there was some moisture and it was like yours after being in the fridge,

      Delete
  24. Nice cake, I bake for 53 minutes at 200C, love it

    ReplyDelete
  25. My top doesn't burn like yours...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh... maybe the temperature too low or not baked long enough.

      Delete
  26. Love the second last shot... superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I need to bake this cake again!

      Delete
  27. Hi, is it necessary to turn on the oven fan while baking this cheesecake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My oven is with fan, so it was turned on.

      Delete
  28. Followed through your recipe to the dot but my cake did not burnt like yours. I had to pump up the temperature to 220C for extra 25 minutes to get same look but the cake itself was not as creamy as supposed to be? Anyhow will bake at higher temperature setting next time. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My oven is quite hot, so 180C was just right but I think at 200C could be better for me. Perhaps in your next attempt, go for 220C. Your cake was not creamy possibly due to the extra time in the oven. Good luck!

      Delete
  29. May i ask can i replace double cream with whipping cream? Thks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I don't know but I think the result will be different. Best to stick to double cream as the density and fat content is different.

      Delete
  30. May I know what size is your round pan for this recipe?
    You are using all-purpose flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pan is 8" and the flour I used is self raising flour. I believe you can use all purpose flour for this.

      Delete
  31. I used yr recipe and it turned out great! I am so grateful for this. My family loves it too. Tq

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm planning to make this, using a loaf pan exactly like this, 8 inch also. https://s.lazada.com.my/s.ZImh4

    Do you think it can fit if i follow your ingredients? Or do i need to cut half of it?

    Tq

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My recipe used 8" pan, so you should be ok. Good luck!

      Delete
  33. Thanks for the recipe,I bake my
    First burnt cheesecake ,my 3 year old loving it,I’m not a fans of cheesecake but this one is just good for my taste,doesn’t taste too strong on the cream cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for sharing your burnt cheesecake recipe....may I ask which flour shall I used?
    All Purpose Flour?
    email is sl.cambell@hotmail.com

    Many Thanks,
    annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie! All purpose flour should be fine.

      Delete