Sunday 29 September 2013

Coconut Pandan Cheesecake


Boy, am I late! The theme for this month's Little Thumbs Up is Pandan (which is another brilliant theme!) and hosted by the very talented Joceline of Butter, Flour and Me. And here I am, limping to the finishing line just a day before the end of the month! I feel like a tardy student handing up her assignment right at the last minute :)



I have been admiring Joceline's blog and she has a great repertoire of delightful bakes. And I love her beautiful photos. Joceline blogs in Mandarin and I do follow a handful of blogs written in Mandarin.



And I've got to tell you, Google Translator is of no help at all. Why? Because this is a sample of what I get - "I remembered the days of studying in the horse" Huh?? Or how about this one "In the horse the night before, Mom killed four keep a year of big fat chicken". Wahahahaha!! So friends, not only do I learn new dishes from you, I also get a good laugh along the way. Sorry, ah.......not your fault lah but thanks to Google Translator. My grandpa very wisely taught me that every language has a beauty of it's own, some of which may be lost in translation. Or end up hilarious in this case. How true!


My cheesecake base was a disaster. Crumbly and hard.

I regret playing the fool during Mandarin class when I was in primary school. Me and my cohorts used to giggle and pass around salted peanuts during the afternoon class. Our "lao tze" (teacher) was a very kindly man. I have fond memories of him checking my homework. We had to match sentences on the left to the ones on the right. "Lao tze" shook his head as he gently chided me "Aiya, your mother can wash mosquito, ah? And after we have our dinner, we have to run?". Even my grandma could not help laughing.



You see, I couldn't read and I simply "hantam" and mismatched the sentences. And of course they turned out nonsensical.  As a Chinese who can't speak Mandarin, I am often looked upon as strange. I don't speak Cantonese either and I get this a lot "Eh, you not Chinese ah??" When that happens, I can only respond in Hokkien with "Gua beh heow thiah" (I don't understand) or "Lu kong hamik?" (What did you say?). So, I am not that hopeless after all, eh? But when all else fails, this is the last resort "Lu tau cakap Melayu?" (Can you speak Malay?).


Messy!

Sorry for this late entry, Joceline! But as they say, better late than never! Pandan is mostly used in desserts and cakes which are not my strong suite. The only savory dish I can think of is nasi lemak and pandan chicken but these are too much for me to handle especially with my bad back. So to my relief, I found this simple pandan cheesecake from the book Cheesecake Mania, a perfect book for cheesecake maniacs like me :)


My two 6" cheesecakes in non-removable pans. Had to line with aluminum foil and baking paper.

My only disaster here is the cheesecake base. I only had something like 6 pieces of digestive biscuits and I used cornflakes to make up for the shortfall. Bad idea as it did not work out at all. To add to this shortcoming, both my 8" and 8.5" springform pans are no longer usable. The 8" is bent out of shape (don't know how that happened) while the 8.5" is rusty! Grrrr.....Determined to bake my cheesecake, I used two 6" pans with no removable base. I had to line them with aluminium foil and baking paper to enable me to remove the cheesecake once baked. Although the base turned out crumbly and hard, the cheesecake itself was delicious! Initially I was worried if cream cheese worked with pandan and coconut milk and my fears were unfounded. Highly recommended for cheesecake lovers who love pandan and coconut!


Coconut Pandan Cheesecake
Recipe source : Cheesecake Mania page 32
(My notes and adaptations in red)

Ingredients :

Base :
- 160g crushed digestive biscuits
- 80g melted butter

Cheese Layer :
- 450g cream cheese (I used 500g)
- 100g caster sugar
- 3 eggs (I used 2 large eggs)
- 150 ml coconut milk (I used 200ml)
- 60g pandan juice (I omitted)
- 1 tbsp corn flour (I used custard powder)
- 1 tsp pandan essence (I used 1/2 tsp store bought pandan paste)

Topping :
- A few drops green coloring.

My method of marbling :
- reserve a small bowl of the cheese filling and add a few drops pandan paste for a deeper green colour.

Method :
1. To make the base, combine all ingredients and press into a 18cm (7 inch) cake tin.
2. To make cheese layer, beat bream cheese and sugar until soft and smooth.
3. Stir in coconut milk, pandan juice, corn flour and essence until well blended. Pour cheese mixture into prepared tin.
4. Add in green coloring with 1 tbsp of cheese mixture, mix well. Drizzle over the surface. Draw marble pattern with skewer. 
5. Bake in preheated oven at 170C for 40 minutes or until cooked. (I baked my two 6" cakes at 140C for 40 minutes)
6. Remove cake from oven and leave to chill in fridge.

Photobucket

This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Joceline of Butter, Flour and Me


This post is also linked to Cook-Your-Books #4 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.

66 comments:

  1. Welcome to join LTU Pandan Sept. Thanks for your sharing & link. This pandan cheese cake look so nice, must fully with pandan aroma. Friend , thanks your support ~ : ) : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joceline! I am very happy that I baked this pandan cheesecake :)

      Delete
  2. Hi PH, firstly let me wish you a speedy full recovery to your injured back. Despite your bad back you still managed to make such a lovely cheesecake. Loved your marbling swirls. Must be a very fragrant cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veronica, thank you for your good wishes! My back is much improved. This cheesecake is very fragrant and so very delicious!

      Delete
  3. Ooo.....cheesecake I like. But I'm still have not master my skill in baking cheesecake. I love the idea of this pandan cheesecake....great for change of flavour. And love the marbled effect. I guess it is time for you to get new pans...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, ya lah I got to buy new pans. I don't understand why it rusted, must be poor quality. You should try this pandan cheesecake. It didn't crack at all.

      Delete
  4. Although I cannot comment about the translation problems I can only say that this cheesecake looks like a piece of art! Beatiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ola! I am sure glad that you blog in both Polish and English!

      Delete
  5. PH, pandan+ cheese sure taste nice lo.... The cake sure sapu habis already ...hehe... Nice marble looking effect. Can make this for St Patrick's day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Li Shuan, I was surprised that the taste was really good. I thought that it might taste funny with cream cheese.

      Delete
  6. Hi Phong Hong, I love this post... sounds funny definitely not your problem, it's the google translator problem :D
    Your cheeesecale looks awesome and my dear friend, you're not the last to join LTU. I still have one more post for LTU tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , Ann! I wish I had more time to do more pandan bakes and dishes. But I guess, I can do it at other times too :)

      Delete
  7. PH, i had a good laugh and that's because i can totally relate to it! Guess we can only admire the gorgeous photos and drool huh. Can i have a piece of your delicious looking cheese cake please, now that i am hungry after all the laughing? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, since it is a small cakes I give you two pieces! The Mandarin bloggers are talented photographers too.

      Delete
  8. arhaaahahaha...sure the mosquito very clean and wangi huh? you are hilarious la PH..
    gua eh heow chiak this cheesecake only la! sure ho chiak! I dont care messy ker tak messy, if give it to me semua gua boleh kasi hantam sampai licin...

    thanks for the laughter PH....haduii terubat penat akak ni...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooops sorry dear lupa nak tanya...tulang belakang you dah okay ker?
      msti selalu berhati2 ya...badan kita takder sparepart....
      semoga you cepat sehat dan boleh bekerja seperti biasa dgn happy dan boleh terus berkongsi resepi dgn kami di sini...:)

      Delete
    2. Hi Kak Q! Wah, lu pun eh hiow kong Hokkien wa :) Hee..hee...Cheesecake pandan very ho chiak loh! Kak Q mesti cuba, OK? Thanks for asking, tulang belakang PH dah beransur pulih. Masih sakit sikit-sikit. Mudah-mudahan dalam 3-4 minggu lagi boleh pulih sepenuhnya. Barulah boleh lompat-lompat kat dapur :D

      Delete
  9. Hi, Phong Hong! I like the marble cheesecake top that you make, it was so lovely especially when it is green! I love green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jozelyn! Green is also my favourite color!

      Delete
  10. Hi Phong Hong,
    As usual, your post makes me smile. I have a secret too, "gua beh hiao kong hua yee"!! We are in the same boat! My Cantonese, half-past-six, my Hokkien, half-past-quarter!! Hahahaha!
    Your cheesecake looks wonderful, must be very fragrant from the pandan paste.
    And your marbling looks super cool!
    Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce! Hah! Hah! Hah! So, I guess you are like me - have to speak in rojak language when buying stuff at the grocery shop or hawkers. This cheesecake is delightful and I am thinking of baking it again once I get more digestive biscuits :)

      Delete
  11. The color is gorgeous!! I want to save this recipe for St. Patrick's day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathleen! Hope you can get pandan essence where you live :)

      Delete
  12. yes, i do had a couple of big laughs after transalation from google...but not that really bad, at least can get the picture what the script actually says. i cant speak hokkien, if you speak hokkien to me, i will tell you, lu cakap apa? but can speak cantonese perfectly..haha...if you want to learn cantonese, i teach you..hor bor? hmm..cheese and coconut milk..creamy and luxurious! beautiful one, phong hong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lena! Yah, I need Cantonese tuition!

      Delete
  13. Hi Phong Hong, love the marble effect. Flavours must be awesome with coconut milk, pandan so more with cheese...........hmmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmy, this cheesecake did not disappoint. If only I had done a proper base, it would have been perfect. If you like creamy cheesecake, I highly recommend this one!

      Delete
  14. Very interesting take on cheesecake, PH! I also cannot read Mandarin but I follow a few Mandarin blogs cos I love their photos. I tried using Google translate too, and it always comes out funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yen! Do try this cheesecake because it is very good. Yeah, the Mandarin bloggers sure know how to take great photos!

      Delete
  15. Lovely cake! I have officially become a translator for some of my non mandarin speaking (or writing) friends. Depends on how the sentences are constructed sometimes google will make sense. But there are words and phrases that simply cannot be directly translated to English. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, I have given up on the Google Translator :( But I still visit the Mandarin blogs and admire the sights.

      Delete
  16. Same here, cannot read Chinese and can totally relate to your experience with GT LOL! Good job on the marble effect my dear. I wonder how a pandan cheese cake taste. HINT! HINT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quay Po, that was a very loud hint! No problems, you will be able to ace this cheesecake and do a much better job than I did!

      Delete
  17. You have an interesting sense of humor,,, now I know where to go when I hv a hard day ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks, Victoria! Glad I made you smile :)

      Delete
  18. Hi Phong Hong, cheesecake look awesome. Your baking skill now score A already. 2 thumbs up for you. Can share a slice with me, I go make coffee for you. :))

    Have a nice week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia! Not score A yet hee..hee...still needs more work. I think I cook better than I bake. Make sure you put ice in my coffee :)

      Delete
  19. Hi Phong Hong, beautiful and yummy. Take care and cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivy, you will love this cheesecake!

      Delete
  20. If my children see this awesome cheesecake of yours, sure they will bising me to bake one! Trying so hard not to bake these ' love and hate' cheese cake too often. This photo is a 'torture' le...... haha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine, this cheesecake is very easy and sure "kacang" for you! Bake lah for your kids, they will love it and so will you.

      Delete
  21. Lovely texture cheesecake and beautiful marble swirl too. Must be very fragrant with the coconut milk and pandan in this cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vivian! The cake was very fragrant and so tasty!

      Delete
  22. Oooo...must be nice. I love pandan santan swiss roll or sponge/chiffon cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pandan and santan is a great match. Makes the kueh or cakes taste and smell so good!

      Delete
  23. Phong Hong, sure this is very good taste. i like pandan and coconut and this combination just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xing hui, I hope that you will try it and enjoy the cake as much as I did!

      Delete
  24. Hi Phong Hong,

    I always get a shock at the end of the month with LTU... Last minute got like 40-50 entries...pwoof! Like magic!!! I'm trying to visit all of them but always struggle towards the end :p

    Glad that I can still make it to visit yours!!! Like the green pretty swirls on your cheesecake! Very nice!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe, appreciate you hard work and visit! This LTU event is very motivating :)

      Delete
  25. Aiyoo... I cant stop laughing ... your lao tze read your blog or not ? Anyway is really fun to know you thru here.
    Cp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cp! My lao tze will pengsan if he reads this. I must have been quite a headache for him :D

      Delete
  26. Phong Hong, I do share the sentimental hahaha... I tried to use google translation when visit Malay blogs but all came out funny funny translation that beside scratching my head, I give a good laugh too :P. Your cheesecake looks so delicious, I always wanted to bake a pandan cheesecake and hope I am able to try this out :D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, hope you bake the pandan cheesecake because it is really good!

      Delete
  27. Hi Phong Hong,

    Tak apa you hand in homework lambat, as long as you managed to hand in on time. Saving the best for last! Hihihihi.... The cake looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MamaFaMi! This cheesecake is so sedaplicious!

      Delete
  28. OMG!!!! Google translate make me sakit perot ketawa. M late to pick up my son. B right back PH. And those cheesecake, OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Drooling and salivating from just looking at the cheesecake. So creamy!!!! ♥ Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo! But it pales in comparison with all your yummy desserts!

      Delete
  30. Phong Hong, I just love the heavenly aroma of the pandan, and to make a creamy and totally droolworthy cheesecake with it...is so irresistibly super awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elisabeth! I wish I could let you taste a slice of this yummy cheesecake!

      Delete
  31. Hi PH, mcik baca resipi 2-3 kali, just wondering.... what happened to the eggs?very sorry,,,just asking,tq

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I have just checked the recipe, the eggs are listed in the Cheese Layer (3 eggs).

      Delete
  32. Hi there.

    Did u bake it via waterbath method?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tasneem! No, I did not bake using the waterbath. It turned out OK.

      Delete