Wednesday 3 May 2023

Too Many Carbs @ Yitcha Kaw Kaw Kopitiam, Damansara Utama

As you all know, posts of me eating carbs are now few and far between. Currently, I only allow myself "normal" food once a month.

Yes, yes, it is not fun because I can't share many eating experiences at restaurants like I used to.  But this is for my health since I don't do well (especially mentally) on carbohydrates and as such, I am prepared to sacrifice.


So a while back I mentioned seeing this new kopitiam - Yitcha Kaw Kaw Kopitiam newly opened in Damansara Utama/Uptown. If you come at lunch time, you will see a queue outside (that's what the red barricade is for).


You will also see many people coming to tapau their freshly baked pastries. That day I visited around 10am because I was very hungry. I didn't eat enough the day before heh..heh...


There were a few tables occupied when I arrived and I only managed to take photos of the interior when the other diners left.


I find the place quite cosy and I can understand why this is a nice place to come and chill out on your own or with friends.


This was my view from where I sat, right at the front.


And now the menu. There are the pastries and noodles...


... more noodles and rice...


... chee cheong fun and add ons...


... bread/toast and beverages.


I wanted to try their Ipoh Authentic Curry Mee, Ipoh Kaw Kaw White Coffee and pastries, so that's what I had. 


heh..heh..heh... tu dia!


As usual, my noodle of choice is kway teow (most people choose mee/meehoon). They have the usual things in the curry mee - beancurd sheet, tofu puff, wanton, sliced pork, beansprouts and long beans (alas no cockles). At first I thought the pork was char siew but upon tasting, it turned out to be nam yue pork slices. A bit strange in curry mee.


The curry gravy is thin but flavorful and if you ask me, I still prefer the one at Annie 1. I can't help it, that one is the gold standard for me although I know there are better ones that I have yet to taste. Taste and preference is subjective, so you have to judge this yourself.


And now, on to my dessert. I had the Kampung Egg Tart and Bursting Kaya Puff.


The egg tart is nice enough with very flaky pastry. If you have had TK's egg tarts then this one will not excite you.


As for the kaya puff, very flaky pastry as you can see and the kaya filling is generous. The kaya is thick, not too sweet but falls short in terms of creaminess and smoothness that I expect of good kaya. It also lacks the aroma of pandan and santan


You get kaya all the way through and I can't say that I did not enjoy this kaya puff.

Now what about the (iced) Ipoh Kaw Kaw White Coffee? It was less sweet as requested but I am afraid it was nowhere near the one at, you guessed it, Annie 1


Since this was a carbo overload, I did crash after the meal. I felt tired and sleepy and bloated. That was to be expected since there was very little protein that I could use as a head start to prevent a glucose spike.

Will I come here again? Yes, why not, but not so soon. There are many things on the menu to try next time.

13 comments:

  1. The menu and setting very much remind me of one of the kopitiam that I blogged before - Restoran Kaw Kaw Pakkopi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, they are very similar in what they serve.

      Delete
  2. Ah, I think I also should pay a visit to the branch in Sri Petaling. Did you drink all the curry gravy like you drink all the curry gravy at Annie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not drink all the curry gravy because it was not as good as Annie 1's.

      Delete
  3. Ya...the pastries look kinda disappointing! I am not into curry mee in the early morning (though I do take our Sarawak laksa) so you would seldom see me going for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the pastries are just all right, nothing exceptional.

      Delete
  4. Look clean and nice place to hang out and enjoy food. The Kaya puff sure look good, something I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kaya puff is not bad. I won't mind having it again should I revisit.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I'm one of those people who would always choose mee + meehoon for my curry coz I need the meehoon to soak up all the lovely flavours of the curry. I would enjoy a good kaya puff too since I love kaya ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, my mum and my brother are like you, mee+meehoon with curry mee. Ah, we share the love for kaya puffs!

      Delete
  6. Yea, definitely will feel bloated with the pastries & sugared drink, after the heavy loaded curry mee. I have tried the pastries, including the egg tart & kaya puff, both are quite ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you that the pastries are ordinary.

      Delete
  7. My heartfelt apologies for Claire's ER visit and Cora's rash! Sounds like a packed week for you all. I hope you found some time to relax and recharge this weekend.

    ReplyDelete