Thursday 18 May 2023

Seeking Comfort In Karipap And CCF

Every morning for the past 3 or 4 weeks, I wake up with a heavy heart thinking of my dad. I am also concerned about my mum.  I love both of them very much.

I draw strength from prayers and I know I must have faith in the Lord. With that, I shall not wallow in worry (though inevitably I still do) and I must understand that life goes on and whatever will be, will be.

I thought I would stay away from blogging for a while but I know that posting is a good distraction for me. It brought me so much joy then (when I was severely depressed) and it should bring me (some) joy now. 

Carnivore diet be damned (wahahaha..), I paid a second visit to Yitcha Kaw Kaw Kopitiam, Damansara Uptown. I wanted to try more pastries and chee cheong fun. This might cheer me up, no?


After looking through the pastry menu, I selected the Crunchy Siew Pao and Curry Puff. There is something about curry puffs, maybe childhood memories that make it irresistible. My late grandma called it "kalipok" heh..heh... My mum made curry puffs when I was a kid and hers were so good! Nothing beats homemade.


I also have a thing for Chee Cheong Fun. I chose the Ipoh Sweet Sauce Chee Cheong Fun with Fried Ingredients (Crispy Beancurd + Fried Tofu + Fishball).


This is the first time I am served chee cheong fun with soup on the side.


Well, well, I loved this chee cheong fun! Sedap, eh! To me lah. The sweet sauce was of course sweet but not sickly sweet and they were quite generous with the fried shallots. The crispy beancurd added a nice crunch and I love this sort of beancurd in soups.


I'm afraid I did not care much for the soup. It was sweet as if there was sugar added. As for the fried tofu and fishball, it was just ordinary. I am not crazy about fishball or fishcake.


I kept the pastries for last.


The curry puff was just ordinary. The filling was curried potatoes and a wedge of hard boiled egg. Not something I would come back for.


As for the crunchy siew pao, it was also unremarkable. 


I guess their pastries are not really a standout. The ones I had on my first visit (egg tart and kaya puff) were nice enough though not outstanding.


As for the iced Kopi C, I liked this one very much. 


Yitcha Kaw Kaw Kopitiam remains popular as a breakfast and lunch spot and I think they will do well as long as they keep up with the good service and food quality. Besides they are located at one of the more busy and bustling spots in Damansara Utama/Uptown.

In case anyone is curious, my diet is still predominantly meat but I am not so strict and allow some deviations here and there.

12 comments:

  1. I thought it was raining heavily outside. Actually my heart and eyes were all tears thinking of both my parents who left me, back to back in less than 2 years. The good memories live on forever. 😭 😭 😭

    This week I grabbed potato curry puffs from I Love Yootiao and a Malay stall as I was lazy to eat a proper meal..some days I just had no appetite and the smell of meat made me wanna throw up πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sadness and the pain will never go away and I know you love your parents very much. I have to prepare myself mentally and emotionally to face the inevitable.

      I sometimes get tired of meat too. That's why I allow some flexibility in what I eat. No need to be super strict.

      Delete
  2. Ya, I agree that their pastries are ok ok only, last resort only when craving for pastries and no other pastries shops around. Praying πŸ™ that your father feels ok and not in pain. Please take good care of your health, both physical and emotional. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  3. That's life! Both my parents are gone now but I am happy that they lived very good lives and we did all we could to make it so for them. My dad was ill for around 2 months which was not as bad as my mum - though she was not very ill, she was bed ridden for over 10 years. We had to be there for her to keep her company and make her feel happy. Good thing I had retired when it happened, 2007...but I had to turn down lucrative offers to give private tuition to spend time with her. No regrets! All her life, she cared for us - the least I could do in return.

    I did have some nice curry puffs recently but no, I am not into these siew pao like the celebrated ones in Seremban - I only like the ones from Kai Joo Lane in Kuching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing about your parents. Yes, I also do not want any regrets and I will do whatever I can to make my parents comfortable and cared for while they are alive.

      I have pretty much given up on curry puffs as they are not nice.

      Delete
  4. I only tasted such sweet sauce CCF when in KL last year. Can't find this over here.

    A big hug to you. Stay strong for your parents. I know it is hard, but got to accept God's plan. Whatever it is, have faith in Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I seek comfort in prayer. It really helps.

      Delete
  5. Many years ago i could still find good currypuffs being sold at roadside stall. Nowadays all seems crappy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, not worth buying these days.

      Delete
  6. I wonder what's special about Ipoh Chee Cheong Fun (as per stated in their menu in Chinese) because they look same with the KL version. :P

    ReplyDelete