Friday 13 September 2013

Avocado Egg Salad (Ree Drummond)


Last weekend, my partner bought me some avocados and they have ripened. It was therefore perfect for me to try Ree Drummond's Avocado Egg SaladThere are a few ways of serving this tasty creamy salad (other than eating spoonfuls right out of the bowl) and Ree has served the salad as a sandwich and also topped the salad on slices of tomatoes. 


I was at home recuperating from my backache and this seemed like a very simple lunch to prepare. I had only a tablespoon of mayonnaise in the bottle and used all of it in the salad and had none to spread on my bread. But it didn't matter as it was not necessary. The salad itself was already very moist and creamy.



This is my hastily put together sandwich. I asked my partner to buy me Gardenia's Canadian Purple Wheat bread but it was not available so he got me the Raisin Oatmeal instead, which was quite nice as it is sweet and has a nice aroma.



I had some Roma tomatoes in fridge and I decided to make a tomato boat and stuff it with the salad. It tasted very nice. I love this creamy egg salad and it is really good as a sandwich filling.



Avocado Egg Salad
Recipe source : Ree Drummond
(My adaptations and notes in red)

Ingredients :
- 8 whole hard boiled eggs, peeled (I used 3 eggs)
- 2 whole avocados, pitted (I used 1 avocado)
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise (I used 1 tablespoon)
- 3 teaspoons red wine vinegar (I used 1 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt (I sprinkled some to taste)
- Blackpepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon chives, chopped (I used about 1/2 teaspoon)

Method :
1. Combine all ingredients (scrape avocado from skin) except for chives in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times, scrapping the bowl once or twice if necessary. Continue pulsing until salad reaches the consistency you want : chunky or more smooth (I just used a fork to mash).
2. Remove blade from bowl and stir in chives. Check seasoning and adjust as necessary.
3. Serve on a sandwich (spread bread with a mix of Dijon and mayonnaise)(I omitted this part because I had none) or serve on a thick slice of tomato as a cool salad. Sprinkle on extra chives to make it pretty.




I'm linking this post to Cook Like a Star, an event co-hosted by Zoe of Bake for Happy KidsBaby Sumo of Eat Your Heart Out and Mich of Piece of Cake. The featured chef for the month is Ree Drummond.

44 comments:

  1. Looks so good. I am sure gonna try this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vimitha, go ahead and try this because it is simple but super delicious!

      Delete
  2. What a healthy meal! Quick and simple meal. Continue to have ample rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel! I am going to have good rest during this long weekend.

      Delete
  3. So Good So Gonna Try This... cos got one avocado sitting in the fridge... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, it is a good way of using up your avocado. I think I also have one more in the fridge :)

      Delete
  4. Eggs and avocados really go well together! i love it as a sandwich filling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mich, I am now loving avocados even more than ever!

      Delete
  5. I think I would like this very much! Not really a fan of baked avocados with eggs, this might work better for me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phong Hong Phong Hong, aiyoh, I so long didn't eat this already, looking at your avocade egg salad makes me salivating over here. Since you like chilli, I have a small suggestion here, I have seen a sandwich shop here selling this with curry powder version. How's your back now? Still need to do physio or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessie! Good idea to add curry powder, more oomph!! I went for another 3 sessions of physio and I feel a lot better. Hope to recover completely soon!

      Delete
  7. I must save this recipe for next Easter! interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ola, you will not regret trying this recipe. Super creamy and delicious!

      Delete
  8. complimenti ottima preparazione e molto belle le varie presentazioni!!!!un saluto...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Phong Hong,
    Next time when I make my filling for each sandwich, must add avocado! This looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, it is very yum! I did eat some straight from the bowl hah! hah!

      Delete
  10. Looks good, sounds good, must add some avocado the next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Highly recommended! The avocados made the egg filing so creamy :)

      Delete
  11. Phong Hong, this is really good and I know I can eat this everyday without getting bored! Have a great weekend ahead and cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Ivy! Can just eat it on it's own. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  12. That sandwich looks delicious although I like the stuffed tomatoes too! Yum! I havn't cook or bake anything from Ree Drummond to submit yet:S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, still got time to cook or bake from Ree's recipes!

      Delete
  13. Yuhuuuu.. drooling already.. Eggs & Avocado.. something new for me..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ogyep, try it because it is so so sedap!!

      Delete
  14. Avocado and egg - I love both!!! Yummmmm!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur, they are a great combination for a creamy sandwich filling.

      Delete
  15. Phong Hong, I love avocado. this combination is great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very good and healthy recipe. Thanks for the recipe. I have avocado in my fridge and will make it for tomorrow breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks & sounds yummy !I've never tried avocado and egg before , now I would love to try this ASAP for lunch ! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kit, I highly recommend this recipe to you. I am sure you and your family will love it!

      Delete
  18. Next time I also can add some avocado in the Japanese egg sandwich liao..Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Phong Hong,

    Hope that you are recovering well... This quick, healthy and delicious avocado egg salad must be helping you recovering well :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zoe! I am very much recovered. I was very happy with this avocado egg salad. It did cheer me up!

      Delete
  20. Phong Hong, hope your back is much better now. I've never tried avocado in this form before. Now is probably a good time to try ;) Your egg salad looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Grace! My back is lots better. You should try this avocado egg salad when you get the chance. It is really good!

      Delete
  21. PH, how are you? Hope yr back is much better. I've never thought of mixing avocado and eggs together - so simple and sounds delicious, this is definitely going onto my list of healthy lunch options :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esther! My back is much better, thanks! I have just come home from physiotherapy and keeping up with replying comments. Do try this avocado and egg salad. It is really good.

      Delete
  22. Hi Phong Hong, that's a very appetizing egg salad. The sandwich look really delicious.

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete