Monday 23 September 2013

Herb Roasted Whole Chicken and Roasted Potatoes (Ree Drummond)


I have always been intrigued with chicken roasted with herbs and the name Herb Roasted Chicken itself already makes it sound so delicious. I found this recipe while browsing Ree Drummond's collection of chicken recipes. I love chicken and any chicken dish will get my undivided attention. And I reckon this would be a great dish to cook for a family lunch or dinner. 


This recipe comes from Ree's friend, Ryan, whom she affectionately calls Pastor Ryan. It looked easy enough. Just chop up some fresh herbs, mix them with salt, pepper and oil and rub this mixture all over the chicken. For additional aroma and moisture, the cavity of the chicken is stuffed with lemon, onions and garlic.


I did something additional that is to let the chicken lie on a bed of sliced onions and carrots. Gordon Ramsay mentioned this tip on his show but I can't remember what it is for. It made good sense because you get roasted vegetables with your chicken too. I had some carrots and potatoes in the fridge and they would not last for another week. Hence, I decided to let them join the chicken in the oven.


I simply sliced a big onion and the carrots and lined them in the middle of the roasting pan. And I let the chicken lie on top of the vegetables. As for the potatoes, I cut them into two and tossed them in a mixture of crushed garlic, dried rosemary, thyme, parsley, salt, pepper and olive oil. I used dried herbs because didn't have enough fresh ones. 


I did not truss the chicken and followed Ryan's method of making a cut in the chicken to tuck the chicken legs in. I also tucked in the wings and the chicken looked very neat.

The end of the chicken legs are tucked into a slit made at the side of the chicken.

Rosemary and thyme have a very strong aroma and quite honestly I find it too strong in their raw state. However, as they cooked in the oven, the smell became very aromatic as they mingled with the garlic, onions, lemon and oil. So appetizing!


My chicken was roasted at 180C for 1 hour 20 minutes. The potatoes were done after 1 hour. I originally set the oven for 1 hour as that is the usual time taken for my other roast chicken. I think this one took longer because I roasted the chicken whole instead of the usual butterflied.


I love the roasted chicken as it was very tasty and lip-smackingly good. And don't get me started on the accompanying herb roasted potatoes! They were so good eaten warm from the oven. I wish I had roasted more potatoes. As it is, I have gone totally bonkers with my carbohydrate intake ever since this Ree Drummond thingy started. 


This herb roasted chicken is a keeper and I forsee roasting this chicken again and again. Next time, I'll throw in some garlic cloves so that I will have roasted garlic too. Now, how yummy is that!









Herb Roasted Whole Chicken
Recipe source : Adapted from Ree Drummond's friend Ryan

Ingredients :
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 whole lemon, cut into 2
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 big onion, thickly sliced
- 1 medium sized carrot, peeled and thickly sliced

Method :
1. Clean chicken and pat dry. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, mix rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil.
3. Rub the mixture all over the chicken, including the cavity. You can roast the chicken straight away but I prefer to let the chicken marinate for a few hours or overnight.
4. Arrange the sliced onions and carrots in the middle of a lined baking pan.
5. Stuff the cavity of the chicken with lemon and garlic
6. Place chicken on top of the carrots and onions and roast at 180C for 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes or until the chicken is browned and fully cooked. 

Note : After 45 minutes, I basted the chicken with the pan juices every 15 minutes or so.

Herb Roasted Potatoes
Recipe source : Adapted from Ree Drummond's Roasted Potato Wedges

Ingredients :
- 6 chat potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 each (or any potato that you usually use)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced (I crushed mine using a garlic press)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried roasemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- some black pepper

1. In a bowl, mix salt, garlic, dried herbs, olive oil and pepper.
2. Add the potatoes and toss to coat.
3. Arrange the potatoes around the chicken (if roasting together with chicken) to roast for 1 hour or until browned and tender.




I'm linking this post to Cook Like a Star, an event co-hosted by Zoe of Bake for Happy KidsBaby Sumo of Eat Your Heart Out and Mich of Piece of Cake. The featured chef for the month is Ree Drummond.

73 comments:

  1. This juicy roast chicken is a one-dish meal with poultry, potatoes and carrots. Finger licking good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheah, it is perfect for a family weekend lunch or dinner. I love the yumminess and simplicity!

      Delete
  2. This is Yummy! Easy recipe yet the chicken and vegetable looks so juicy and yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, very little effort involved but fantastic results. Try it!

      Delete
  3. Hello, I'm Francesca. Your blog is very nice and this recipe is definitely very good. I Imota to your members. If you want to follow me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Francesca! I am following you too :)

      Delete
  4. WOW! I love herb roasted chicken, in fact all the ingredient you added in it! Looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I can't wait to roast another chicken!

      Delete
  5. Hi Phong Hong,
    I am drooling big time just looking at your scrumptious, mouth-watering roasted chicken! Looks so good! We love roasted chicken too. Rosemary and thymes are two of my favourite herbs, I got lots of favourite herbs! Haha! I can imagine how good the potatoes are too. And yes, next time, throw lots of garlic in, you would love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, I am now loving rosemary and thyme. I used to get dizzy from the smell hah! hah! I am thinking of adding more in my next roast :)

      Delete
  6. Omg! Your roasted chicken looks super good! I wish this juicy roasted chicken is in front of me now (not only in screen)hehe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esther, why don't you try roasting one of the weekends? I recommend more potatoes!

      Delete
  7. Hi Phong Hong,yummylicious chicken. You are good with roasting chicken of various flavours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kimmy! I love chicken and roasting is one of the easiest way to cook. I am actually finding lazy ways to cook hah! hah!

      Delete
  8. I am drooling over your roasted chicken and feeling hungry now. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cecilia, I hope that you try this recipe. Simple but the result is stunning!

      Delete
  9. Roast chicken is always very inviting to anyone. Any simple ingredients would just taste absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Mel! Any leftovers can be turned into sandwich filling or mixed with a salad.

      Delete
  10. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com23 September 2013 at 22:56

    Hi Phong Hong, the pic itself already sees me drooling.... This is indeed finger licking good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivy, roast chicken always makes me very hungry!

      Delete
  11. Phong Hong, this is very yummy chicken, i just looking at you photo and drooling. i want to keep your recipe, thanks. really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, xing hui! You will not be disappointed with this chicken :)

      Delete
  12. Wish I could have some... looks sooooooo goooooooodddd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vimitha, if you are going to have chicken, I suggest you try this roasted chicken. I am sure your family will enjoy it very much!

      Delete
  13. PH, your roast chicken looks so so delicious. I can imagine the fragrance of the herbs. Mouth-watering good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veronica, the smell was amazing! I ate quiet a lot hah! hah!

      Delete
  14. I've got fresh rosemary only, no thyme. I wonder if I can just use that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur, rosemary by itself is good enough. Try it!

      Delete
  15. This is an amazing recipe! Love the bed of root vegetables you placed below the chicken! Yes, some garlic would be good addition! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alvin, I will be roasting again and I will not forget the garlic. I love garlic!

      Delete
  16. PH...PH...
    why la akak masuk sini pagi-pagi...sedapnya...
    serius cakap, akak tak pernah panggang ayam sekor2...mesti buat ala butterfly tu..
    tapi bila tengok ni, rasa confident nak buat pulak...taktau la boleh sabar ker tak nak tunggu 1 jam 20 minit tu...tentu bau dari oven sangat meggoda, kan. Akak bayangkan, bila dah masak tu, lenyek garlic yg dah lembut tu kat jus ayam, then makan..whuaaaa....telan air liur ni....sob!

    aritu akak pi Aeon alpha angle, ada banyak fresh herb kat situ, teruja sangat, takpernah nampak rosemary fresh..ada beberapa lagi yg akak nak sebut pun tak pandai....tapi sbb taktau nak guna, akak cuma tengok jer la..dlm hati cakap, lainkali senang la...kalau nak masak ni, boleh cari kat Aeon Alpha Angle jer....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selamat pagi, Kak Q! Biasanya PH suka buat butterfly sebab cepat masak. Kalau panggang sekor-sekor, kekadang bahagian dalam tak berapa masak. So kena testing dan tambah masa memanggang. Tapi cantik kan nampak ayam sekor macam tu? Dulu PH tak suka bau roasemary dengan thyme. Rasa pening-pening gitu sebab bau dia kuat. Tapi bila dah masak, wangi pulak. Kak Q kalau ada masa lapang, boleh lah try. Berbaloi you!

      Delete
  17. Hi Phong Hong,

    Can you come to your place for dinner? Your roasted chicken with roasted potatoes look perfectly delicious!!!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe, of course you can come for dinner! If you ever roast this chicken, add more potatoes or else you will regret it :)

      Delete
  18. Wow wow wow another finger licking good chicken recipe! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Replies
    1. Thanks, cquek! Thumbs up for roasted chicken :)

      Delete
  20. I'm bringing my Pinot Noir over.... Save the breasts for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria, I will gladly save the breasts for you because I prefer the legs!

      Delete
  21. So long I did not bake a herbs chicken like this, look at your tempting roasted chicken, I wish to cook this very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonia, I like this type of cooking, Very senang :)

      Delete
  22. Hi Phong Hong, very well baked... look inviting. I want the chicken wings. :)

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amelia! Aiya, I wallop the wings already hee..hee...

      Delete
  23. Hi PH! Your roast chicken looks very tempting, fat and juicy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Phong Hong, Wow...and wow!!! your herb roasted chicken is so GORGEOUS...succulent, perfectly roasted. Can someone be in love with a ROASTED CHICKEN?...Well, I must be crazy, but I adore your chicken with the perfectly seasoning, and the amazing herb crusted...and the roasted potatoes and veggies, as well! This has to be my all-time comfort food. I am pinning this on my Pinterest board, and will come back to let you see it! Great job, my dear friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. OK...pinned it on Pinterest, on my 'Chicken, and...more Chicken' board. Check it out; don't know if you're signed up on Pinterest, even if not...you can just use the url:

    http://www.pinterest.com/foodandthrift/chickenand-more-chicken/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.pinterest.com/

      just scroll down, and you will see your photo, and link back to you!

      Delete
    2. Elisabeth, thank you so much for your compliments and pinning my humble chicken on Pinterest! I am such a dork, I don't have a Pinterest account. Tell you what, I'm signing up! You are so kind and supportive, my dear friend!

      Delete
  26. this sounds and looks seriously good! The sounds of the herbs together with farlic, onions already make my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. PH, your roast chicken seems to be everyone's favourite. Sad to learn that you got slip disc and do take care. I went for my slip disc operation in '77 and recently pains come back. Went to TAGS for traction and rehab, cost me a BIG bomb. My weight is the main cause and well, it runs in my genes.
    Miss you at your Uncle SKY's birthday dinner. Met your Uncle Kim Hee whom I didn't meet him for more than 40yrs. Remember to bend your knees when you pick things on the floor. Happy Cooking then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chek Loon, bad back runs in the family! Oh, so you are a slip disc sufferer too and you know the agony we go through from that. If we ever meet up, we can trade stories hah! hah! Yes, I was disappointed to miss Tua Pek's birthday party. Was looking forwards to meeting my long lost cousins and relatives. I will be mindful of my back at all times from now on, thanks!

      Delete
    2. Suffered the torturing pains for a year before the surgeon operated me and he was a drunken.Like that! Your PH's blog helps my wife to cook kay hong yesterday. Family dia di KT tak pakai sarong! Told her to check up yr PH Bakes. Ages she cooks this dish. She avoids cooking kay chak yiam to reduce my salt intake. Again, runs in the genes......HBP! Hahahaha!

      Delete
    3. Chek Loon, glad you got to eat Kay Hong :) It is my all time favorite. Oh yes, high blood pressure comes from my mum's side. I haven't got that yet, touch wood!

      Delete
  29. Phong Hong, your roasted chicken is really looks appealing, wish I am yr neighbor then everyday I have goooooood food from you! hahaha......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine, ya lah! Then I can eat all sorts of Ogura cakes in return hee..hee...

      Delete
  30. PH, do u believe that smells can transmit thru screen? I'm smelling your chicken now & I'm so hungry! This reminds me of a joke......

    My hubby had a pot-luck party some yrs back & as usual, every guests had to bring some food. One guy brought a chicken & claimed that he baked it. But when all of us tried, the taste seemed very familiar. There was only 1 thing on the guests' minds. Guess what? That baked chicken was from Cold Storage supermarket!! Lol! He finally admitted & all of us had a good laugh! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley, your mind is playing tricks on you! Hah! Hah! Your guest got found out. Too bad for him you people have tasted Cold Storage roast chicken :D

      Delete
  31. PH!!!!!! Aduhaiiiiii bestnyaaa.....so sedapppp.....you are Genius PH. M glad you feel better now with your therapy and all. Please take care okay, orang tua kata, jangan lasak sangat. I can tell you ni tak boleh duduk diam and kadang sure forgot and just do stuff spontaneously. So becareful ye, as I don't want you to crack your back again :) !! Anyway, this herb roasted chicken. memang sangat sedapp..OMG....the last time I did rosted chicken was Thanksgiving. Pheww!!!!...took me 3 hours to masak my Turkey...this coming Thanksgiving, I will sure put up my recipe and take some pictures, and share with you. And yes, couldn't agree more with you when you said that Thyme and Rosemary have such a strong smell, and yes, bila we bake it, my oh my, that smells, smell so goood :) ....Owh wow, and yes PH :( I dah lama tak masuk blog and update it, and yes, please smack my head all the time to update my blog PH..Please!! hahah...love you PH....take care !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuss, ketuk kepala!! Hah! Hah! Wah, you roasted a whole turkey? My God! Tabik lah! I belum lagi rasa turkey. Macam ayam ke? You should share short posts if you are busy. Tangkap gambar the dishes you cook for hubby and kids with some short narration pun cukup. At least I can see what my little sister is cooking :)

      Delete
    2. Aiya, you are right PH.....well, yo are indeed my inspiration...!! Love you just for that encouragement. I will do it soon. And yes, I baked the whole Turkey, and yes, it tasted like chicken. First time I did it, I call my friend almost 4 times just to make sure i did not go over board, and the last call i made, she told me " Yuss, do't worry, you won't burn your Turkey! Relax!! " LOL...then after that i just check every 30 mins, and after the first hour, I cover the breast part with aluminium foil, just to make sure it won't dried out. Thank goodness it turn out great, phewwww!!! But this chicken of yours, i am very very tempted to do. :)!!!

      Delete
    3. Yuss, if you can handle a turkey, you can make the chicken a success! And don't forget to post!

      Delete
  32. Oh gosh we love roast chicken too and this looks so good! I always put a sliced onion under roast chicken/beef too, apparently the flavour will seep into the roasted meat. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yen, I love roast chicken a lot and I reckon this particular recipe will feature often in my home.

      Delete
  33. Huhuhu... how come eh, when I roast chicken, my chicken tak nampak jelita like this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sebab MamaFami tak letak make-up untuk dia.....

      Delete
  34. when u say stuff the cavity with lemon and garlic is this the whole lemon and whole garlic cloves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the whole lemon (that has been cut into 2) and whole garlic cloves.

      Delete