Sunday 29 October 2017

Honey Spiced Chicken Wings


Remember the Rempah Gulai Cap Bunga Rose that my mum got me? After cooking the chicken curry, I had some rempah gulai leftover which I kept in the fridge. 

I was not going to cook another batch of curry and I wondered what to do with it. Then I remembered Kak Q's Sweet and Spicy Roasted Chicken which I made a few years ago. Back then, I used a combination of powdered spices and  this time I thought the the rempah gulai would do the job.


I mixed the rempah gulai with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, honey and oil. I used this paste as a marinade for the chicken wings.

I only marinated the wings for two hours, overnight would have been best. Then these were roasted at 200C for 25 minutes.


They were nicely browned and charred at the edges and smelt divine. They tasted pretty good too, very moist and juicy. 


So if you have any leftover rempah gulai, put it to good use by roasting up some chicken wings!


Honey Spiced Chicken Wings
Recipe source : Phong Hong

Ingredients :
- 5 chicken wings (these were huge ones weighing 750g)

Marinade, mix all together :
- 1 tbsp Rempah Masak Cap Bunga Rose
- 1 tbsp Rempah Gulai Cap Bunga Rose
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil

Method :
1. Rub marinade all over the chicken wings and leave to marinate in the fridge for a few hours or overnight (I marinated mine for two hours outside the fridge as the wings were just defrosted and still very cold).
2. Roast the wings on a lined baking tray at 200C for 25 minutes or until well browned and cooked through.

36 comments:

  1. all five pieces for me please! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next round, u have to make more, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the leftover rempah use tips, PH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta look out for these rempah, dunno if they have those here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so tasty! 5 pieces of chicken wings ain't enuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! But these were very big wings.

      Delete
  6. Wonder the gulai rempah is sold here or not. Need to search around.

    Fried chicken, anytime for me. Basically so many different tastes of fried chicken around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This particular brand is only available in Terengganu.

      Delete
  7. Great idea for the left over rempah. Your house must be fragrant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My whole house smelt so nice. Like aromatherapy LOL!

      Delete
  8. My new toy oven is still in the box! Each time I come by here, I ask myself.. Bila nak open ceremony? LOL... Wait, wait... let me drool till I beh tahan first...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... Better bring your oven out from hibernation!

      Delete
  9. Although I love to eat chicken wings, I find roasting chicken wings the most cumbersome as the wing tips always get burned till black faster than the rest of the parts...and if I don't want that I have to do the extra work of covering the tips with foil...haiz! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll cut out the tips as use them to boil chicken stock :P

      Delete
    2. Kris : You right about that. But I like chewing on the burnt tips hee..hee...

      Delete
    3. Choi Yen : Ya hor? I never thought about that.

      Delete
  10. I've baked some chicken wings for my dinner last week too which is Sam & my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another roasted chicken, PH. Oh, my! Looking at the photo only can make my air liur meleleh. Should I do another round of roasted chicken?

    Sejak ikut your resepi, dah 4,5,6 kali tau buat roasted chicken versi PH tapi pantas ikut suka hati I aje!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MD! Glad to know that hee..hee.. Roasted chicken no matter how you bantai, it will come out tasting good all the time :)

      Delete
  12. Awesome picks! The wings look well executed, dear. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Next time I will try, a also have leftover rempah in a fridge, still ok kot, I think the rempah rest there more than 5 years, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This rempah can tahan lama if keep in the fridge. More than 5 years pun still bau wangi.

      Delete
  14. I can smell the aroma of the chicken wings

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a great idea. I'm curious about your photos. Do you have natural light or use a light source to get that super clear shot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use natural light. That day it was sort of gloomy and I adjusted to f3.2. Works like a charm!

      Delete
  16. Good idealah LL...dpd membazir buang mcm tu aje baik recycle hihi...
    Cukup perasa dah tu...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cukup segalanya. Just tambah garam dan madu, siap lebur dalam oven hee..hee...

      Delete