Wednesday 4 October 2017

My Favorite Roasted Chicken


Whenever I have no idea what to do with a bunch of chicken legs, I always turn to my favorite marinade. There's nothing like the freedom of not following a recipe and throwing in whatever sauces that you fancy.

Since I had some potatoes and carrots in the fridge, these were enlisted to accompany the chicken but not before being steamed for a short time to ensure that they cook faster in the oven.


I combined 3 chicken thighs which had defrosted in the fridge together with 5 drumsticks which were freshly purchased from the supermarket.

I put all of them into a mixing bowl and threw in minced garlic (lots!), pepper (lots!) and a bunch of sauces from the fridge. I also added a tablespoon of oil and mixed everything up and let the chicken sit on the kitchen counter until the chicken pieces were no longer cold to the touch.


Just before they were roasted, I tossed the steamed potatoes and carrots with some oil and arranged them in a single layer together with the chicken. 

It didn't take long to cook. Just 25 minutes at 200C. I did not even bother to flip the chicken, I only basted them with the oil and juices that oozed onto the pan.

I did rotate the pan though, to ensure that the chicken pieces were evenly roasted. 


This recipe never fails. What comes out from the oven is  always delicious, moist and tender. 

Favorite Roasted Chicken
Recipe source : Phong Hong

Ingredients :
- 3 chicken thighs and 5 drumsticks
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced (I used a garlic crush)
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp chili sauce
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tsp freshly cracked pepper
- a dash of Maggi seasoning sauce
- 1 tbsp oil

Toss together :
- 3 chat potatoes, steamed till half cooked and quartered
- 1 carrot, steamed till half cooked
- 1 tbsp oil

Method :
1. In a large mixing bowl, mix tomato sauce, oyster sauce, chili sauce, light soya sauce, pepper, Maggi seasoning and oil.
2. Add chicken pieces into the bowl and mix to coat the chicken with the marinade. 
3. Leave the chicken to come to room temperature and give a good mix every now and then to evenly distribute the marinade.
4. When the chicken is no longer cool to the touch, roast together with the potatoes and carrots at 200C for about 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. While roasting, baste the chicken every now and the with the pan juices.

45 comments:

  1. Ooooo...they're such beauties!!! Hmmm...I wonder if there are any drumsticks in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you find some and make roasted drumsticks :)

      Delete
  2. Oh they are just glistening and calling out, "Eat me, eat me." You can hear them too right? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely and tasty. I am going to grill some potatoes and chickens for dinner tonight. ^^ So coincident.

    Happy mid-autumn to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever I have no idea what to make and want to make something that takes the least effort, roast chicken is always my 'go to' too...and they always turn out tasty. The best thing is you can throw anything you have in the fridge as part of its marinade. And 200C and 25 mins is my magic number too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another thing we have in common, right down to cooking temperature and time hah..hah..

      Delete
  5. golden skin looks so good. I will have the potatoes please. thank you. :) Happy mid autumn festival to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the potatoes! Should have put more hee..hee..

      Delete
  6. Your Roast Chicken looks so yummy! Happy Mid-Autumn Festival to you & family! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Ah Hong Chee, your ayam looked sedap & yummy! The recipe is so easy to follow as I have all the ingredients at home & more.... I might use butter instead & pineapples for added fragrance and just learnt today that need to steam the carrot & potatoes! This Saturday I have parti rumah & ajak Ah Hong Chee with her dahling to makan this Ayam. I will get a bunch of Bunga Kantan ready for your dahling. Oh yeah, I want to make your potato skin recipe too.

    #AyamHongChee #Ayam&PotatoSkin #BungaKantanReady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aiyah! I forgot to add butter LOL! Put some butter on every piece of the chicken and the taste and aroma is even better. Thank you for the invite. You are so kind. Bunga kantan? aiyo...LOL!

      Delete
  8. Haha, I like to throw in any sauces for my marinade too, without any specific measurement LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Luckily I had my lunch already hehe...

    Makan panas2 sedap tu PH. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when still warm it is really sedap!

      Delete
  10. Long time have not roasted chicken. Mostly baked only. Yummy drumstick la

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now my fridge not much things, see this makes me drooling...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the home improvement can make lah...

      Delete
  12. It looks so tasty and...autumnal:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delicious, moist and tender - this sure looks like it, from your photos! I had a disappointing chicken experience last week, trying the new 'unfried fried chicken' at kenny rogers malaysia ... it turned out to be dry, one-dimensional in its saltiness and not particularly delicious ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That must be air fried chicken, if I had to guess. Had it once at the now closed Salad Bar. Can't say I was impressed. If you want tasty fried chicken, it mus be fried!

      Delete
  14. I'm very hungry now by looking at your delicious roasted chicken. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks so delicious and mouth watering! Good idea to use up the sauces from my fridge. Every now and then I have to throw expired sauces away, so wasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow, the rojak sauces turn out delicious hee..hee..

      Delete
  16. Hihi...menu paling senang jugak ni LL... bila bila teringin nak buat jugaklah hihi...

    Sambil sambil nak diet... yelah nak diet tu hihi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Menu paling bestlah kiranya sebab pakat lebur2 gitu hee...hee...

      Delete
  17. PH, because of your baking and roasting, I bought a KHIND oven liow... now waiting for the free moment! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am anxiously waiting for Reana Claire's cakes and roast chicken LOL!

      Delete
  18. These roasted chickens must be very tasty and aromatic with all the garlic, pepper and sauces, yums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can your roasted chickens look so beautiful, mine turned out so messy LOL

      Delete
    2. Tasty to the max! The secret is I transfer to another tray before taking photo LOL!

      Delete
    3. Ha ha... I like that idea PH....transfer to a nice clean plate before taking the pictures... Lol...

      Delete
    4. hee..hee... sneaky me :D

      Delete
  19. Delicious Recipes. Excellent blog you’ve made here.. It’s difficult to find high-quality writing like yours nowadays. I really appreciate individuals like you! Take care!! Welcome by Favorite Food opportunities and teaching Commercial to Residential Conversion.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, my favorite! I like roasted chicken and whenever I don't feel like cooking too many dishes, I just do this. Suddenly feel like making roasted chicken today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your roasted chicken turned out great and all sapu habis hee...hee...

      Delete
  21. Yummy! Made it today for the boys and they loved it....also a fantastic way to finish up all the left over sauces.... next mission is your Moroccan Chicken...:)

    ReplyDelete