Monday 2 October 2017

Tasty Tuna Cakes


I found a can of tuna in the pantry. It was purchased quite some time ago and was meant for my partner's tuna sandwiches. But since he does not want to eat anymore canned tuna, I have to find a way to use it.

Quite frankly, I do not like canned tuna and sardines. Sardines especially. I have had my fair share of sardine sandwiches and sardine puffs when I was a kid. And I lived at a time when you do not say no to what your mother puts in front of you.


Then I remembered a recipe for Spicy Tuna Cakes from the book Nom Nom Paleo Food for Humans. That recipe combined canned tuna with mashed roasted sweet potatoes and seasoned with herbs, salt, pepper and chili flakes. 


Then the mixture was baked in a muffin pan. How convenient. It took about 25 minutes for the tuna cakes to be cooked and I made the mistake of not greasing the muffin holes. So I ended up with the tuna cakes which stuck firmly to the pan. 


As shown in the book, I inverted the pan onto a wire rack and had to give it a hard whack to remove the tuna cakes. Luckily they came out in one piece.

I let them cool and bit into one. Oh my, it was very tasty. Even better when eaten with sweet chili sauce. So I guess I may be replenishing my stock of canned tuna after all just for these tasty tuna cakes. 


Tasty Tuna Cakes
Recipe source : Adapted from Nom Nom Paleo Food for Humans

Ingredients :
- 1 can (135g) tuna packed in water, drained
- 250g sweet potato, steamed and mashed
- a handful of thinly sliced spring onions
- a handful of finely chopped coriander
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 egg

Method :
1. In a mixing bowl, break tuna into fine flakes using a fork or your hands.
2. Add mashed sweet potato, spring onions, coriander, onion powder, salt, pepper and egg.
3. Using your hand, mix the ingredients to combine.
4. Grease a 6-hole muffin pan and fill each hole with the tuna mixture.
5. Bake in the oven at 180C for 25 minutes or until the top of the cakes are crusty and slightly browned.
6. To remove tune cakes, invert muffin pan on a wire rack.

29 comments:

  1. U should have share some with me, lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...looks very tasty...terus lapar

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess you overdosed on sardines when you were a child. Sardines are my backup choice for meat at chap fan eateries. Your tuna cakes look so tasty and convenient to eat. I can eat them for lunch in the office every week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen sardine at the chap fan stall and I will never eat it hah..hah..

      Delete
  4. I don't like canned sardines but I do love canned tuna. I just threw away a can that expired the other day...haiz :( I think I'm gonna try this as it looks super easy to just stick them into a muffin pan. Was there any chilli spices added to the recipe or did that bright orangy colour come from the sweet potatoes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The orangy color is from the sweet potatoes. The original recipe contains chili flakes. So feel free to add whatever strikes your fancy!

      Delete
  5. Once in a while I do enjoy canned sardine and tuna sandwiches. Thanks for this yummy recipe. Good to make for my small group meetings when we meet in my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do make these because I find them very tasty.

      Delete
  6. Wow! Your tasty tuna cakes looked so delicious with its reddish colours. I love to eat canned sardines and tuna till now. Since you will replenish your canned tuna stock, I plan to be your neighbour. My property agent will contact you for your home address soon. Adios!

    #KekTunaSedap #AhHongBijak #BeMyneighbour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... welcome to the neighborhood!

      Delete
  7. My girl made something like this the other day, very nice, no canned tuna taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved these so much that I want to me some more.

      Delete
  8. Okay! Okay! This one I will try! I love tuna and potatoes. I never out of stock of these stuff. So, maybe in a near future (which takes days, weeks, months or if I totally forget about this, YEARS) I will try to make these tuna cakes.

    Ishhh... tak tengok resepi pun I can make it by heart. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alamak! Sweet potatoes? Laju sangat baca. Never mindlah, I will change to potatoes only, suit my tastebud better ^_^

      Delete
    2. No worries, MD. Potatoes will also work for this recipe :)

      Delete
  9. I like canned tuna but I seldom eat. Tried not to eat too much canned food.

    Baked tuna cakes. That sound tasty and different to me to enjoy tuna. I would like to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. they look tasty and I believe it was a good recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good recipe and you will like it.

      Delete
  11. Would like to try these

    Same as you, I also do not like canned sardines, I find them too fishy and a lot of bones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuna is better. I think you will like these tuna cakes.

      Delete
  12. Wahhhh.... menariklah LL. Macam senang je nak buatnya. Style dia mcm buat bergedilkan...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, sebijik macam bergedil hah..hah... Senang nak buat, Hainom. Lebur2 gitu jer dan sumbat kat muffin pan dan bakar dalam oven. Siap!

      Delete
  13. Actually I doubt on the sweetness from the sweet potato goes well with tuna? @@

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The taste wasn't that sweet in the final product :)

      Delete