Monday 16 October 2017

Coffee + Chocolate = Mocha Muffins


I am a little slow to catch on to this Mocha business. I have heard the term many times before and to me it was just some kind of coffee.

I also came upon chocolate cake recipes where you add a little bit of coffee to enhance the chocolate flavor. But all this was lost upon me until my auntie gave me a packet of coffee that had a hint of chocolate. Now that, opened my eyes.


Coffee and chocolate, they enhance each other and therefore they make a good flavor team. So it was with this in mind that I baked these Mocha Muffins. Another recipe to use up buttermilk. Yay!


These Mocha Muffins were topped with chopped walnuts and  I thought they were really good. My partner ate them with no comments. Silence....

Which is a good sign. If no good or cacat, sure got comments. Too sweet lah, no taste lah, too wet lah, too whatever lah. This fellow, very kedekut with compliments. So when he doesn't say anything, that is a compliment.



Mocha Muffins
Recipe source : Adapted from Joy of Baking

Ingredients :
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 150g brown sugar
- 120ml buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup black coffee
- 120ml grapeseed oil (or any vegetable oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips,tossed with 1 tbsp flour
- 12 walnuts, each cut into s maller pieces (to be placed on top of each muffin) 

Method :
1. Sift flour and cocoa powder together into a mixing bowl and then use a whisk to mix them together. Set aside.
2. In another mixing bowl, add sugar, buttermilk, eggs, oil, vanilla extract and coffee. Use a whisk to mix them together until the sugar dissolves.
3. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the wet ingredients.
4. Using a spatula, gently fold the mixture until evenly mixed.
5. Fold in the chocolate chips.
6. Using an ice-cream scoop, scoop batter into a lined 12-hole muffin pan.
7. Bake at 160C for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.


33 comments:

  1. I like coffee flavour in desserts so sounds like a recipe for me:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be grateful to be blessed with a bisu partner who is kedekut with comments. When I opened my mouth to comment, my wife would have stuffed my mouth with old stockings!! My sarcasm and filthy mouth has banned me from entering the kitchen's perimeter even she is baking or cooking. She believes that my mouth could radiate disasters upon her food!! Wakakaka

    Mocha is always yummy to drink cos it is neither coffee nor chocolate!
    On my knees, I am begging to get a bite of your mocha muffin pleaseee.... Christmas is coming!

    #PartnerBisu #TMdisasterMouth #OnePlease?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah..hah... perhaps if you have nothing nice to say, just keep quite lah, right? Aiyoyo, begging me for food again :D

      Delete
  3. Coffee is a must for me everyday, chocolate, I like, if you send me, I will be the happiest person in the world and I will be the most grateful person...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't take coffee so no mocha muffins for me. Lol

    But your muffins are so beautiful. Like the idea of walnuts on top. Nutty, coffee and chocolate. Best combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can leave out the coffee and make it a chocolate muffin :)

      Delete
  5. A partnership made in sweet coffee heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matchinglah rupanya coffee dengan coklat eh? Kalau tidak, tak kan wujud air Neslo or Mocha kan...

    Haiii....untungnya dpt girlfren rajin baking ni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Untung? hee..hee.. agaknya lah, Hainom. Kalau dia makan sambil membisu, sedap lah tu...

      Delete
  7. these would go very nicely served warm with a glass of plain milk :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Empty vessels make the most sound.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your muffins look fab. I'm a big mocha fan - coffee and chocolate - perfect pairing. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great with a mug of hot coffee!

      Delete
  10. I am waiting for you to retire and open a bakery so that I can buy muffins and cakes from your bakery! These mocha muffins sound so tasty! Next time you can bake Neslo muffins just like Inside Scoop has Neslo ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Ah Hong Chee is still strong like an Ox. I think she would retire at 70 and we may not be able to bite her cakes anymore. She might have to open porridge shop for us.

      Delete
    2. LOL! You guys crack me up!!

      Delete
  11. Actually all partners should learn this...be silent (if you have no positive comments to give) if they want to continue to eat the food we make...wuahahahaha! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have tasted mocha coffee and I love it. So these mocha muffins should taste great! "Silence means compliment!" - thumbs up for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were good, hence the silence hah..hah...

      Delete
  13. I'm 'weird' person, everything with coffee smell I don't like :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I see hah..hah... Then just leave out coffee and get chocolate muffins.

      Delete
  14. Tsk! First time in long long time I read blogs, and you show me chocolate muffins. I hoped it would be a masak-masak post instead one...

    I always thought mocha = cocoa, some sort like Milo. Whenever I had mocha drink, I could never taste even an ounce of coffee in it. My tongue is broken, as expected :/ ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, ah... I know you prefer masak2 post. I think for most mocha drinks, the coffee is quite subtle.

      Delete
  15. Ekceli baking is not my interesting. Tapi I percaya apa saja yang you cakap, maybe bila sometime I Ada masa and minat I can try this one. Hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's OK ticer. Lain orang, lain minat, betul tak? PH buat baking pun kena ikut mood. Kalau mood ke laut, no baking :(

      Delete