Sunday 15 October 2017

Grub By Ahong & Friends


Who is Ahong? Is he famous? Well, if he isn't, he will be. I got to know about Ahong from R.A.G.E. Food Fight back in 2015. 

I thought he had personality + +, he had humor and obviously he had some serious chops in the kitchen. I was rooting for Ahong but sadly he did not win. But hey, there are many instances where losers are the victors post-competition. 


So when I got wind of Ahong's new place in Section 17, I had to visit. It has been ages since I visited Section 17 but I need not worry as my brother did the driving. 

These days with Waze and whatnot, you can get to your destination even if you have no sense of direction. Parking is quite a challenge but we were lucky to get ourselves a spot not too far away from Grub


In terms of ambiance, well, the place looks like those old school grocery shops (the ground floor anyway) but that did not bother me at all.

I love down to earth places like this where I feel most comfortable (my selipar Jepun won't look out of place here) and the most important factors to me is service and the food.


We were there slightly past 12:00pm and seated ourselves at table number 4. Lucky number, eh? It looks like somebody did not like the number and vandalized it.


First up, house rules. Read this message from Ahong first.


hah..hah...

The menu is printed on plain A4 paper and placed on a clipboard. You order by ticking your choices on the order chit. As I have mentioned before, I love this method of ordering. No need to talk!


My brother and I were greedy (ok, I was the greedy one) and we ordered 3 mains and an Iced Black Coffee (RM7.00) each. 


We could not resist the Ribeye, King of Cuts (RM35.00). How did we express our wish for how it was done? No worries, it's on the order chit - medium rare/rare. So I just circled medium rare (note that you don't see "well done" as a choice).


The steak was very well seasoned, tender with none of the  annoying sinewy bits that I have encountered elsewhere.


Saturday is cheat day and I want carbs. Loads. So I got us the Chicken Char Siew Rice Bowl (a steal at RM15.50, can easily feed 2). It is a very generous bowl, you get lemon rice topped with a princely portion of grilled chicken char siew, salad and half an egg. Although the char siew sauce is unlike conventional char siew sauce (to my tongue), I had no cause for complaint.


I decided to save my half of the Chicken Char Siew Rice Bowl for my partner (something I have seen Mun doing hee..hee...) and I packed it into my container.


Our third main is the Grilled Lamb (RM30.00) served with potato salad, Mesclun and lemon rice. Underneath the lamb is the percik sauce.


My brother commented that the percik sauce tasted more like peanut sauce (satay), perhaps this is Ahong's interpretation of percik which we liked. I would have loved to have more sauce :)


I must say that I enjoyed the lunch immensely. I told my brother that we must come back. This was met with a resounding yes!


There is more seating upstairs to cater to larger groups of diners as I discovered earlier. You see, I had to take a leak in spite of having gone to the bathroom twice just before coming out. Bah! I think I have a prostate problem but the thing is, I don't have one 😳

I did get lost a bit looking for the bathroom upstairs.
We were quite full but we could not leave without having dessert. Due to limited stomach space, we ordered only one slice of cake and we made that a Carrot Cake.


It was lovely, not too sweet with some salty hints. 


We were very pleasantly surprised to be treated a plate of fruits on the house. 

I am so glad we came to have a taste of Grub. Prices here are fair with generous portions and I say we give our support to Ahong & Friends. Then who knows, they may be able to afford lenglui waitresses.

Nothing disappointed me except for one. Ahong wasn't there :(

Ah, well, the man can't be there all the time and I must say that his team capably took care of us in his absence.


No GST, no service charge.

22 comments:

  1. So did your partner like the taste of the Chicken Char Siew Rice that you packed for him? :) Sounds like a place worth visiting. I hope to visit it soon. Is the lamb tender? If yes, I would be ordering that. Thanks for introducing this place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did not say anything, so it must be all right :) Yes, the lamb is tender and does not have that strong gamey smell.

      Delete
  2. Sound like a gem for you. Discover new place with good food and nice ambiance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love their letter to guests. Corkage charge is fab and I'd be happy to share a glass with someone with that much personality too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice simple place with good food. Worth a visit.

      Delete
  4. Quite a pleasant place to dine !! Nice food there !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, I've heard of this place with very affordable prices...must bookmark this place then. When I saw that there was quite a fair bit of fatty parts on your ribeye, I was apprehensive but since you mentioned there was none of those annoying sinewy parts, I'm relieved. I thought you asked for medium rare but it says rare on the receipt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Section 17 is not too out of the way for you. The neighborhood is not pretty, rental here is probably more affordable. I liked the fatty bits hee..hee... I ordered medium rare, maybe lack of space to print on the receipt.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a nice comfortable place. I miss a delicious carrot cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very comfortable and down to earth. The carrot cake was very nice.

      Delete
  7. Memang betul betul cheat day nampaknya tu LL haha... psst....Make sure jangan sampai mimpi Ahong hihi....kang ada yg jes tu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah...mimpi masakan Ahong aje, Hainom :)

      Delete
  8. OK, food looks good as well as the price, I'll visit this place soon :)
    PS: from other reviews I've read, the owner will only give complimentary fruits to the customers he like, hehe :P Some even with a beautiful ice igloo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that fruits will be given if you spend RM50 and above. The owner wasn't there when I visited hee..hee...

      Delete
  9. I follow him on Instagram and he's really funny!

    ReplyDelete