Wednesday 25 October 2017

Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries


I baked these not because I think they are healthier than regular fries. It was just a case of curiosity. So are they crispy? Are they yummy ? Are they better than french fries? No, yes and maybe.

OK. It all depends. If you cut the sweet potatoes thinner, maybe they will be crispier. Mine were crispy around the edges as I had sliced them thicker. Some were burnt at the ends (but I like these).

As for the taste, if you like sweet potatoes, chances are you will like these. Seasoning plays an important part, of course. I simply seasoned the fries with salt, black pepper and smoked paprika. 


In comparison with french fries, they are like night and day. Like apples and oranges. You either like one or the other or both. In my case, I liked these sweet potato fries and I also like french fries. If I had to choose? hmmm.... french fries wins hands down.

Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Recipe source : Phong Hong

Ingredients :
- 2 orange sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil

Method :
1. Peel and slice the sweet potatoes into sticks. The length and thickness is up to you.
2. Sprinkle salt, pepper and smoked paprika over the sweet potatoes and pour in the olive oil. Mix to coat the sweet potatoes.
3. Pour the sweet potatoes in a single layer onto a lined baking tray.
4. Bake at 200C for 30 minutes, stirring after the first 10 minutes and then every 5 minutes to ensure even baking.

28 comments:

  1. Oh!!! If this post had been a day earlier, I could have cooked the same. My missus bought a whole lot and they were sitting on the counter in the kitchen. One had started rotting and one or two were sprouting roots. I steamed the rest...and I had it with peanut butter. Nice! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can try this the next time you are confronted with loads of sweet potatoes hee..hee..

      Delete
  2. Maybe will try it out if I am not lazy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like both equally but if need to choose one I would choose the cheaper one, hahahaha! Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sweet potoes and adding paprika to it enhance the taste. I love paprika and sometime use in my normal fries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paprika makes a lot of difference by giving it that smoky flavor.

      Delete
  5. nice pairing of sweet potato fries with chicken. how about pumpkin fries next? :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think we can expect the sweet potato fries to be crispy since they're baked. I like both but for fries, I'd need them to be fried and crispy but can accept sweet potato fries baked instead as baking releases the sweetness in them. I recently 'invested' finally in two bottle of spices...cayenne pepper and smoked paprka, so I can make these with the latter! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I am looking forwards to seeing what you will be doing with your "investment" hee..hee...

      Delete
  7. Love that you added smoked paprika to these sweet potato fries, bet this was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a bit a healthy nut so would definitely bake rather than fry. I do love sweet potatoes. They do a great version at Fittie Sense - baked not fried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too and they are supposed to be lower in carbs, but I eat way too much, so there is no difference hah..hah..

      Delete
  9. Wah, what a scrumptious dinner! I would love to munch on your sweet potatoes fries! And the chicken and coleslaw looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a very good combo. So satisfied :)

      Delete
  10. I baked this before and they definitely not crispy but I felt less guilty when savouring them :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though not crispy, they still taste good.

      Delete
  11. I have bookmarked this recipe! That would be a marvelous & healthy snack for my next gathering at home. I have been reluctant to fry so much oil and it never crossed my mind that we could bake it till crispy. What am I so stupid sometimes?

    #TMbodoh #PandaiPrincess #YummySnack #Paprika???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aiyo, not stupid lah LOL! Try it, but it is not crispy like fries. But still sedap.

      Delete
  12. I jarang beli keledek walau pun i suka jugak keledek ni. Kalau ikutkan statistik makanan yg berkhasiat, keledek mmg duduk tangga terataskan....

    Teringin jugaklah nak try buat mcm ni. Healthy pun ye jugak kan...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL pun jarang beli tapi hari tu teringin nak try resipi ni. Boleh tahan sedap.

      Delete
  13. Something nice to snack on without the oil.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I don't know keledek can bake like this, selalu I rebus je,I selalu beli keledek pepel, tapi selalunya I rebus I makan sorang2, mylaling and myanaks Tak suka, maybe kalo bake like this then put some rempah seasoning dorang suka kan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like keledek especially dalam bubur caca hee..hee..

      Delete