Friday 13 October 2017

Blueberry Muffins


These are the most expensive muffins I have baked. The blueberries alone cost me more than RM30 but it was worth every cent. Where else can I find delicious blueberry muffins that are packed with juicy blueberries?


It wasn't the blueberries that prompted me to bake but rather a carton of near expiring buttermilk. Does this sound familiar? Yeah, I still can't break the habit of buying buttermilk whenever I see it on the shelves.

Buttermilk Chocolate Cake, Ranch Dressing, Buttermilk Fried Chicken and all sorts of delicious buttermilk recipes come into my head. Then I buy the buttermilk and let it sit in the fridge.


So this time, fresh blueberries from Jaya Grocer came to the rescue for me to bake with the buttermilk. I bought 4 packets of blueberries at RM10.90 per 125g but used approximately only 3 packets to bake. The rest, I just ate them straight.


I love these muffins! There is nothing like biting into a warm muffin with loads of plump blueberries and feeling the juices burst into your mouth. Heavenly!

So every time I feel a dark cloud come over my head at the office, I tell myself, if you want to be able to afford blueberries, just get on with it and work! That's how I motivate myself hee..hee...

Blueberry Muffins
Recipe sources : Once Upon a Chef

- 240g self-raising flour, sifted
- 115g butter, melted
- 180g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 120ml buttermilk
- 375g fresh blueberries


Method :
1. In a mixing bowl, mix melted butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and buttermilk.
2. Put flour into another mixing bowl and make a well in the centre.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour and using a spatula, gently fold the flour into wet ingredients until you don't see anymore flour (it is OK if the batter is lumpy, do not overmix).
4. Fold in the blueberries.
5. Using an ice cream scoop or two spoons, fill a 12-hole muffin pan with the batter.
6. Bake at 160C for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.

38 comments:

  1. Oh so this is your secret that motivates you in dark times! Must be so delicious to be worth the effort. TM and Somewhere in sg would be in q for them so no point for me to join the q la. :D Freezed some or gasak all d or gave some to friends/family?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These muffins are yummy and I love to bite them with the juice of blue berries oozing out! I ate someone's muffins and she used the Ocean Brand dried berries to save cost. It tasted chewy like fresh ones after baking.

    It is 10 weeks to Christmas! You can start taking orders now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder will Phong Hong remember u and me during Christmas when she's doing her bakes, hehe...

      Delete
    2. If her fat muffins looked like your face and mine, maybe she might freak out and remember us. Otherwise she would eat 8 muffins at once like how she swept 8 potato skins. She is scary and eat like sharks.

      Delete
  3. Wow, gojesnya.
    Jap ek, nanti ai datang balik, lo ning Ada kelas dah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love blueberry in cakes and muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It almost hurts to see how expensive blueberries are here. They grow around where my parents live in Australia and when in season you can get them for as little at $1AUD a punnet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, so costly and is an indulgence over here. I hear that they grow wild in Australia and other parts of the world.

      Delete
  6. I would love these muffins too :) I can see why they're the most expensive muffins you have made coz there are more blueberries than there's batter! O_o So, 3 pkts of blueberries got you 12 muffins...that's around RM3 a muffin..or RM1 a bite...hehe. I can deal with that. I should so make this since I love blueberries. By the way, how long is the shelf life (or should I say fridge life) of buttermilk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buttermilk generally has a shelf life of 2 weeks but I have stretched it another week or two to no ill effects (but I have a steel stomach hee..hee..). If you want to bake muffins, you can substitute buttermilk with yogurt and you will get similar results - fluffier muffins.

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness.

    Just look at all those bluberries you put in the muffins.

    Yums!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loves muffins, good for tea break time, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Phong Hong, your blueberry muffins look so yummy. Can I have some, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! Of course you can have some :)

      Delete
  10. Not a fan of blueberries, I think I can try the plain version and it's good enough for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can substitute with other ingredients like raisins or dried cranberries or choc chips.

      Delete
  11. I like blueberries.. not so sweet, just pop a few into the mouth at one go! Saw one packet in Jaya Jusco selling at around RM10 per small box but worth buying cos it is still in season.. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones we get here not sweet, in fact sometimes so bland.

      Delete
  12. I just had a blueberry muffin before dinner today! Lol. Bought from bakery of course. I would like to have one of your muffin nevertheless. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee.. you can try baking them as they are easy to make.

      Delete
  13. Can I have some for tea time?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Phone Hong,
    Yummy muffins. My big kids don't fancy blueberry cakes or muffins. Wish I could join you for tea ^_^!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! You can bake a small batch for yourself :)

      Delete
  15. Don’t ever come to my country, here buttermilk is in each single shop probably 😀muffins look perfect, i also like berries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, if it is always available, then it won't be so tempting :)

      Delete
  16. Sedapnya PH!

    I wish I could bake them just like you did. But I'm not good at baking huhu...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sedapnya PH..
    Dah lama CH tak membaking..
    Bila lah CH nak rajin mcm PH..
    Dlm esbok dah lama rasberry di frozen kan..
    Masa tu beli masa ofer juga..
    RM16/kg..
    Semangat konon nak membaking..😆😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, CH :) PH ni sebenornya tak lah rajin sangat hee..hee... kadang2 aje ada mood. Sometime mood ke laut. Sekarang ni cuti sekolah, kan? Buatlah muffin rasberry untuk anak2 CH. Mesti dorang suka :)

      Delete
  18. Cantiknya mini muffin ni LL...geram tengok surface muffin tu, gebu gebas, warna pun tempting sangat. Rasa nak jilat skrin hp ah memalam ni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah.. jilat skrin tak dapat rasa, Hainom. Jangan sampai mengigau :)

      Delete