Thursday 26 October 2017

Spaghetti Aglio Olio with Luncheon Meat


Can, ah? Use luncheon meat to make spaghetti aglio olio? Of course, can. Just google and you will see lots of people doing this way ahead of me.

For me if there is one more thing that evokes childhood memories besides this one, it would be luncheon meat, that pink salty and oily delicious slab of meat that comes out of a can. 


Grandma did wonders with it - fried luncheon meat (coated with beaten egg), luncheon meat omelette and luncheon meat sandwiches, doused with copious amounts of tomato ketchup.

What I like is luncheon meat fresh from the can, I think it tastes delicious at room temperature. Ooohhh.... Well, I used to buy luncheon meat until my partner gave me a gentle lecture about the health hazards posed by canned/cured meat.


So I laid off luncheon meat for a while until Kris did a post on omelettes and one of them was a luncheon meat omelette. Well, that did it!

So I sneaked into the oink oink shop and got me not one but two cans of luncheon meat (it was on offer and comes with a plastic container).


After using the luncheon meat to make omelette, I suddenly had a craving for spaghetti aglio olio and since I've already cooked that with bacon, naturally luncheon meat should be next.

You don't need a recipe for this. But just in case any greenhorn wants to cook this, I'll just narrate what I did.

Just before I started, I put the spaghetti to boil. While all that was going on, I cut 2 slices of luncheon meat into cubes. Then I chopped up 4 cloves of garlic and sliced up some baby portobello mushrooms.


Heat a small amount of oil in a non-stick pan and when oil is hot, fry the luncheon meat first. Fry until they are lightly browned and remove from pan.

Next fry the garlic briefly until aromatic (don't brown it) and add mushrooms. Fry until the mushrooms are wilted. Hopefully, by this time, your spaghetti is done and just use a pair of tongs to transfer the spaghetti into the pan. 

Toss the spaghetti with the garlic and mushrooms and add the fried luncheon meat. Season with salt and pepper and add chili flakes if you like. Transfer to a plate and enjoy!

28 comments:

  1. ok you can add this dish into the menu of your bakery and cafe. I am sure it will be a hit as almost every oink oink lover will like to eat luncheon meat. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to try and cook pasta aglio olio but I never got down to it. Sometimes, the spirit is willing, the flesh is weak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. Happens to me too.

      Delete
  3. I love Aglio Olio! Yes, I used to enjoy luncheon meat. Whenever we need to add extra dish, it was always the luncheon meat to the rescue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so versatile but I try not to eat it hee..hee..

      Delete
  4. ooo, i haven't tried this combo before. not sure i'd favour it ... i think i wouldn't mind trying fried bee hoon with luncheon meat tho ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hhmmm..with fried beehoon..that should be interesting :)

      Delete
  5. Oh dear, looks like I'm the cause of you going out to buy not one but two cans of luncheon meat! O_o Ooo, I'm liking this generously laden aglio olio already...they put bacon, we put luncheon meat...same what! ;) I hate to tell you this but I might be doing a post on luncheon meat in the near future...wuahahahaha! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee... bring it on! I wanna see your luncheon meat dish!

      Delete
  6. Yelah LL, tengok spaghetti u ni, I pun dah macam sampai masa teringin nak makan spaghetti ni nampaknya hihi...Tak de reason lagi malas masak ek kalau bahannya semua dah tersedia

    Selalu buat spaghetti bolognese....jarang sangat buat sendiri Aglio oglio kat rumah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL jarang masak spaghetti sebenarnya. Lebih suka nasi hee..hee...

      Delete
  7. Maybe you can consider setting up a cafe in Singapore, I will be your die hard supporter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aiyo I gotta move to Singapore....LOL!

      Delete
  8. Luncheon meat is one of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't say I'm a fan of luncheon meat, but spaghetti aglio olio I have a fondness for ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have come to love spaghetti aglio olio and make that when the craving hits.

      Delete
  10. I add bacons and chicken meat in my aglio olio. Never thought of adding luncheon meat to it. Nice one,PH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rose. I usually do it with bacon.

      Delete
  11. Hola! You read my mind. I bought so many tins of different luncheon meat from NSK between RM4 to RM8 to experiment the tastes & quality. I would fry them for all meals but never thought of spaghetti. I will ask my China friend which brands really added cat and dog meats inside their luncheon meat. Bluek!

    #BabiBesta #HongPandai #Cat&DogLuncheonMeat #Bluek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alamak, now you mention cat and dog meat, I lost my appetite already LOL!

      Delete
  12. Love the fusion treat, dear! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great combination, I bet this is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lucheon meat make everything extra delicious! Which is your favourite brand? I like Yige for its texture and flavours :)

    ReplyDelete