Who loves baked beans? Me! Me! There was a time when I lived in a rented room and I used to eat baked beans straight from the can.
Not only that, I used to steep instant noodles (the landlady did not allow cooking) in hot water and then drain the noodles as best I could and mix the noodles with baked beans. That was my pathetic version of pasta.
I'm glad those days are over and I can now prepare nice meals for myself. My favorite way to eat baked beans is with bacon, eggs, sausages and buttered toast.
This Meatballs with Baked Beans is not my original idea. I got it from The Fussy Palate and I thought it was very nice just because I love anything with baked beans. Combining it with fried meatballs is perfect when you want a convenient dish.
Meatballs with Baked Beans
Recipe source : Inspired by The Fussy Palate
- 250g minced meat
- 1 big onion, minced and divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 2 small cans baked beans in tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
1. In a mixing bowl, combine minced meat, 1/2 of the minced big onion, garlic powder, egg, salt, pepper and tapioca flour.
2. Mix until the mixture is gluey and comes together.
3. Form into balls and fry in hot oil until cooked and browned. Drain on paper towels.
4. Combine tomato ketchup and light soya sauce. Set aside.
5. In a pan, heat oil and saute the remaining minced onions until soft and translucent.
6. Add baked beans and the tomato ketchup and soya sauce mixture.
7. Bring to a boil and add meatballs. Mix to coat and dish out to serve.