I suddenly had a craving for meehoon goreng. Malay style with lots of chilies. Besides, I had an awesome Sambal Jate that would go brilliantly with the meehoon goreng.
So I soaked a handful of meehoon while I went about deboning a chicken thigh and marinating the meat. I had earlier made some blended chili paste and it is really convenient when cooking spicy stuff like this.
My meehoon goreng had simple ingredients, just meehoon, chicken and cabbage. Of course I had to go through a bit of trouble to pound some garlic and onions.
The end result? I thought it was awesome, if I may say so myself. What made the meehoon even more awesome was eating it with Sambal Jate. Wow, it was so appetizing.
Recipe source : Phong Hong on a whim
- a handful of meehoon, soaked to soften
- 1 chicken thigh, deboned and marinated with 1 large clove of garlic and a tablespoon of light soya sauce
- some cabbage, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 big onion
- 1 heaped tablespoon chili paste
- About 2 tbsp kicap manis + 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- a little bit of water for simmering
1. Pound garlic and onion finely and mix with the chili paste.
2. Heat oil in wok and saute the spice paste until aromatic.
3. Add marinated chicken and stir fry until cooked.
4. Add kicap manis,light soya sauce, cabbage and meehoon.
5. Stir to mix all the ingredients and add a little bit of water to simmer, covered.
6. Stir fry every now and then until meehoon is cooked and slightly dry.
7. Dish out and serve.