Thursday 20 July 2017

Meehoon Goreng


I suddenly had a craving for meehoon goreng. Malay style with lots of chilies. Besides, I had an awesome Sambal Jate that would go brilliantly with the meehoon goreng.

So I soaked a handful of meehoon while I went about deboning a chicken thigh and marinating the meat. I had earlier made some blended chili paste and it is really convenient when cooking spicy stuff like this.


My meehoon goreng had simple ingredients, just meehoon, chicken and cabbage. Of course I had to go through a bit of trouble to pound some garlic and onions.

The end result? I thought it was awesome, if I may say so myself. What made the meehoon even more awesome was eating it with Sambal Jate. Wow, it was so appetizing.


Meehoon Goreng
Recipe source : Phong Hong on a whim

Ingredients :
- a handful of meehoon, soaked to soften
- 1 chicken thigh, deboned and marinated with 1 large clove of garlic and a tablespoon of light soya sauce
- some cabbage, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 big onion
- 1 heaped tablespoon chili paste
- About 2 tbsp kicap manis + 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- a little bit of water for simmering

Method :
1. Pound garlic and onion finely and mix with the chili paste.
2. Heat oil in wok and saute the spice paste until aromatic.
3. Add marinated chicken and stir fry until cooked.
4. Add kicap manis,light soya sauce, cabbage and meehoon.
5. Stir to mix all the ingredients and add a little bit of water to simmer, covered.
6. Stir fry every now and then until meehoon is cooked and slightly dry.
7. Dish out and serve.

31 comments:

  1. If you conduct classes, i sure sign up for it... hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy, just had it 2 days ago

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to have it again. Rasa macam tak puas.

      Delete
  3. I like to eat fried mee hoon like this especially when the mee hoon is very soft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is very soft because I soaked it longer.

      Delete
  4. Voila! Bingo! I just spotted a packet of famous Thai Erawan's brand finest mihun last week and bought it home. I told my wife that I will fry the exact fried mihun that weird freako like her eats. She wants a super dry mihun that could choke her throat. So I will use your ingredients to experiment ok?? Kamsiah Hamida Phong Hong!

    #PHwhim #MihunHong #SedapPH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can high-5 your wife! I also like meehoon fried till very dry. Yes, yes, try my recipe. hee..hee..

      Delete
  5. There's nothing like a simple plate of meehoon goreng...yum. It's also one thing I've never attempted to cook at home as I'm afraid it'll get all stuck to the pan or, worse still, all broken up with too much frying and tossing! O_o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does get stuck to the pan sometimes :( But this time not so much because I made sure to keep the pan moist by adding a bit of water and then at the end, quickly stir fry it before it got too dry.

      Delete
  6. LOL at Phong Hong on a whim mention :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like meehoon goreng too..just a simple one like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It;s lovely when something so simple can taste so good.

      Delete
  8. That sambal looks like to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A plate for me, please! Meehoon goreng for me anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh mine, just mee hoon, chicken and cabbage also can be delicious and appetizing, too bad I can't take much Chilli, if not sure will enjoy with the sambal

    You make me so hungry now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had something to eat hee..hee..

      Delete
  11. I suka makan meehoon goreng dgn sambal tumis ikan bilis LL...
    Sambal Jate ni guana yeh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hainom, kalu nak tahu, buatlah sambal jate tu. Sedap tau!

      Delete
  12. This is my kind of delicious fried beehoon or mihun goreng. Love it spicy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! More chilies give it a real delicious kick.

      Delete
  13. Bihun goreng,sup memang goes well dgn sambal jate tu kan PH,
    Kat rumah ai dah 3x restock sambal jate .Cepat betul abes hahaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah, Lina! Peminat sambal jate, ya? PH pun sangat suka. Stok dah dekat nak abes hee..hee...

      Delete
  14. I always have a packet of bihun, meehuun ready for breakfast once a week

    ReplyDelete