Wednesday 26 July 2017

Strange Tasting Wanton Mee


I was very hungry the other day and when it was time to eat, I decided to try the new wanton mee place.

When I got there, I made an order for the wanton mee with sui kaw and char siew. Since I was so hungry, I added 1/2 portion of noodle.

My drink of choice is predictable. Kopi-o kosong cold.


While waiting for my noodles, the couple sitting behind me suddenly ran out of the shop with gasps of "OMG!".


Parking in Damansara Uptown is notorious and people tend to double park. The poor dears almost got their car towed away by MBPJ. After a while, their car was released and my noodles were served.


After giving the noodles a toss, I took a bite. This wanton mee tastes different from what I am used to.  The sauce was sweetish and it tasted of something familiar (which I would not expect in wanton mee).

It took me a while to pinpoint what it was. Then it occurred to me that  it tasted much like Hoisin sauce or some sort of spices. I'm afraid I did not enjoy the wanton mee on account of the strange tasting sauce.

But giving credit where credit is due, I liked the texture of the noodles. It was firm and springy with a nice bite, just the way I like it. The char siew was lost upon me because I was so distracted by the sauce.


The two pieces of of sui kaw were sizeable but I found the smell of the meat filling a little strong. Even the soup had a strong porky smell.


Then I noticed something else. Chee yau char. You don't usually find this in wanton mee do you? As much as I like chee yau char (in Hokkien mee), I felt it did not belong here.

My sister-in-law is right. She mentioned to me that the wanton mee at the other place is better.

23 comments:

  1. Eeeeee...I can't stand that porky smell. Thank goodness our pork here is all right or I'd stop eating it for good.

    So sad that it did not meet your expectations - everything did look good, I would say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have been perfect had it tasted like regular wanton mee.

      Delete
  2. Actually, chee yau char do have a place in wantan mee. When I see its presence, at least I'm assured (and presume) that the noodles have been tossed in lard oil and that makes the noodles all the more fragrant. Chan Meng Kee's wantan mee at SS2 does it well with fresh chee yau char.

    I believe this is Pudu Chan Fatt WM and your seat is right at the front of the shop under their menu board...hehe! ;) And no, I weren't 'spying' on you...haha! :D I was there recently too but I didn't have the wantan mee nor taste the sui kaw (I ate something else which was rather good). I only tasted a few strands of the noodles (though I thought it tasted different from the usual ones) but it wasn't enough for me to form an opinion just yet until I have a whole bowl on my own. At least the char siew you had looked well caramelised (we got lean pinkish ones) :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you got my location right! So scary lah you wahaha!! That must be the day you went to Starling :) Ah, I am so ignorant! I never had chee yau char in wanton mee, so I assumed that it is not the norm. The thing is, the taste of the wanton mee was totally off for me. If this place rides on wanton mee, I think the owner ought to rethink her recipe. I don't know how well received the wanton mee is to other customers. I wonder what it was that you had that was good :) If you do find your way back there, do try the wanton mee. Yes, on hindsight the char siew looked good. Pity I was distracted :(

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately, the wanton mee is their signature dish (as evidenced in their shop name). I read a recent article in the papers that said that she tweaked her mom's original 1955 wanton mee sauce (which was too bland) to suit the modern tastes of customers who wanted it sweeter.

      Delete
    3. Yup, I read that too and I'll consider that her sauce is still a work-in-progress :) BTW I tried their curry laksa and it was not bad.

      Delete
  3. I was about to ask you about the name of this shop when I read ewew comment above. is it correct?

    the charsiew looks too fatty for me. but you have made me curious to try the taste of this wanton mee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you find your way to Uptown, do try the wanton mee and let me know what you think. I feel that the taste is not right.

      Delete
  4. I like wanton mee, i ever even tell them, i do not want char siew, but all wanton...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to have both wanton and char siew....

      Delete
  5. The wonton mee looks "normal" from its appearance and colour, and the taste of hoisin sauce can't really register in my mind, so I think I have to try it myself then only can know the exact taste, haha!
    Yes, just like Kris said, I have quite a few wonton mee with fried pork lard and it definitely contribute the aroma to the noodles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first wanton mee with chee yau char so I thought it was abnormal LOL! If you do there, try the wanton mee and see if you like the taste.

      Delete
  6. From the photos, the wanton noodles memang look springy, fine and not thick and overcooked. Lard is commonly seen in wanton noodles in Ipoh... more fragrant but if sweet taste, then funny la.. same with the porky smell, I also would be geli.. maybe meat not so fresh already...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything was perfect except for the sauce and the strong smelling sui kaw/soup. Otherwise, it would have been perfect.

      Delete
  7. I knew it that you landed in the "Wrong One" instead of "Annie One" to eat Wanton Mee. What a funny sauce that sounded like "Horsin Sauce". Thumbs down to that wrong shop.

    #SosLalat #WrongOneShop #MBPJf*%#@^k

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Horsin sauce! I feel that the owner ought top rethink her sauce. Change it to the usual wanton sauce that most of us are used to and it would be lots better.

      Delete
  8. I dont think I would enjoy this. Sweetness is not my thing. And definitely not on my noodle. Wahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sweet wanton mee is very strange.

      Delete
  9. The wanton noodle looks good but I too don't like sweet sauce and I don't like porky smell too. So I suppose you won't be going back to this shop again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would go back but just not for the wanton mee.

      Delete
  10. I would prefer my wanton noodles to be savory than sweet but the char siew appeals to me with its fats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like my char siew with fats. So much tastier!

      Delete
  11. wonder why peeps like this place

    ReplyDelete