Friday 6 January 2023

January 2023 Challenge : Day #4 (Ate Out Again)

I know I said that I should cook my own food to take to the office but Wednesday morning I had a zoom call from 6:00am to 7:00am. So there was no time to cook even though my cooking is super simple.

I was even thinking of fasting and break my fast at dinner time but my stomach had other ideas.


I was at the basement of The Starling when I noticed a new hotpot restaurant. It is so colorful!


It is called Chao Hot Pot Bar (not in operation yet as at time of writing) and the interior is rather fancy. Maybe something like Haidilao Hot Pot. I have never visited any of these hot pot restaurants.


Outside Jaya Grocer there is a Chinese New Year fair with booths selling all sorts of snacks and goodies.


Then I went up to the food court to eat my lunch. I have to be strict and the only option for me is the bak kut teh place.


Although I did not have a good experience the last time I visited, I decided to take a risk seeing that some of these places are inconsistent (some days good, some days not so good). The uncle was not there and the stall was manned by two foreign workers.


While waiting, I took a look around. I noticed that Wishbone Fried Chicken is now called LA Chicken Lite. 


Then I saw that Pho Real will be getting a neighbor soon, Little Tree.


Meanwhile, next to LA Chicken Lite, Warung Sizzling was very quiet.


Soon my order was ready.


I have had this Big Bone four times already. The first time was good. Second time not good. Third time was good (see the pattern?). This fourth time was unfortunately not good.

The meat was hard and dry (like the second time). At least the skin was gelatinous and chewy and that, I could enjoy. Such a pity because I thought this could be the place for me to take my carnivore meals.


I don't know if you can tell from the photo - the hard dry parts.


So suffice to say, no more! Not coming back again.

Now on to dinner. Very simple only, porkie soup. 


Simply pork slices cooked in bone broth. I cooked in advance and stored the soup in the fridge. Then simply reheat in the steamer. I know. It looked awful but it tasted pretty good.

12 comments:

  1. Super early zoom. With overseas people??

    Geez, why the food isn't consistent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, with the Steak & Butter Gang!

      I suspect, left to the workers, there is no quality control.

      Delete
  2. Oooooo...did I see what I saw? Oooooo...I'm in love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, hard meat again. Sometimes I get that too in certain parts of braised pork trotters. Thanks for the updates of Starling mall. Your pork slices in pork broth sounds so nutritious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pork broth would have tasted better with fried shallots and spring onions.

      Delete
  4. the big bone looks huge, almost/longer than the length of a spoon! the starling mall foodcourt has lotsa choices and new stalls coming up. Quite happening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup but some don't have staying power.

      Delete
  5. Its a pity there is hard parts from the big bone. If it is soft enough, it will be very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had the big bone been fresh, it would be so enjoyable.

      Delete
  6. The CNY booth seem quiet and not many customers, what time you were there?

    ReplyDelete