Thursday 19 January 2023

January 2023 Challenge : Day #18 (Cheaper Beef)

On Wednesday I forgot that I had some extra food in the fridge. It was not much, just two sausages and four hard boiled eggs.

So for lunch, I ate out at the foodcourt.


I went to Li Wei (CLOSED) at around past 12:00pm and it was very busy. I had to wait very patiently because the customers ahead of me (senior citizens) were taking a very long time to decide on what they wanted.

Sometimes there are customers who ask 1,001 questions on each dish on the menu before making a decision. 

The only thing I can eat is meat, so I had this roasted meat platter.


There is siew yoke, roasted chicken (I requested for drumstick) and char siew. I'm afraid the only thing good on my plate was the char siew

The chicken was dry, like it was from the day before. The char siew had a rancid taste. I think I experienced this before. As far as I can see, this stall is quite popular and at lunchtime, I see long queues. So I would expect that the food is fresh.

I think I will give this place a miss and go to the chicken rice shop instead.


Downstairs there was a busker doing his thing and he has a very good voice. I stayed for a while to listen to the songs from the 80's and 90's. Before I left I put a little something into his collection box.

I headed to Jaya Grocer to look for meat.


I found this brisket slice and it costs RM39.63 for a pack of 456g. Brisket is a tough cheaper cut. For that price, you could get a ribeye weighing just slightly over 200g.


I cooked both pieces in the air fryer and although it was on the chewy side (as expected) it tasted pretty good. 


Yes, I ate both slices, fats and all.


These days Girl stays out at night and comes back inside in the morning.


After her breakfast, she will go into a deep snooze. 


As for Belle Belle she is the opposite. After dinner, she runs upstairs and settles in for the evening. The next day after breakfast, she goes outside. But she is not consistent. Some days, she chooses to stay out.

10 comments:

  1. The roasted meat platter looks good! I was thinking of buying one chicken, one duck and a slab of siew yoke for Chinese New Year...but in the end, I don't think I will do it. So lazy to go out and go around doing this and that. Just be happy with what we have in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, going out in the traffic and then struggling with parking etc might not be worth the trouble.

      Delete
  2. Overnight meat maybe, not fresh. They shouldn't serve that!! Horrible!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both Girl and Belle Belle are so adorable! 😻Thanks for their photos! I stuttered to think about rancid meat. Did you let the staff know about the rancid meat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! No, I did not say anything to them. They are foreign workers and I doubt if my comments would make any difference.

      Delete
  4. So generous of you to give the busker some encouragements. Good 👍

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gong Xi Fa Cai! I went to The Starling on Chor 1 for lion dance performance, hehe :P

    ReplyDelete