Tuesday 24 January 2023

January 2023 Challenge : Day #24 (Feeling Down)

Today is day three of Chinese New Year. I was feeling a little low thinking about my dad.

My dad is a cancer survivor and has been so since his diagnosis in 2001. I won't go into detail but my dad is now facing another health challenge. My mum is his sole care giver and the strain she is going through is breaking my heart.

My dad is slowing down, low energy and tires easily. My mum told me that he has lost a lot of weight and his mood has not been agreeable, he gets angry over petty matters and has not been very pleasant to her. It saddens me.

I am sure I am not alone, we feel sad to see our parents grow old and infirm. Is it inevitable that when we grow old, we have to become sick and weak?  

My mum thankfully is still relatively healthy in body and mind. She is still strong and is very capable in nursing my dad. Her nursing qualification has come in very handy. She is also well read in subjects relating to health and nutrition. 

Mum is also resourceful and she did a lot of research when dad became ill. I credit mum for dad's positive road to healing and he survived cancer for the past 22 years with mum's loving care in spite of losing his bladder and colon. 

However, she is experiencing caregiver fatigue and she is finding it very difficult to cope. I think it is time that my parents relocated to live with either me or my brother. We will have to have a conversation about this.

I have already fixed an appointment for my dad to consult his primary physician and my parents are expected to fly over soon. 

Worrying will not help and I will stay positive and continue to pray for divine guidance and intervention. All is in God's hands now.


Today I ate two meals - breakfast and lunch. Breakfast is simply bacon and eggs. Simple and good.


Last night I had a case of itchy mouth and I was tempted to eat oranges. There is a basket of mandarin oranges on my coffee table and in past years, I would eat 4-5 oranges while watching TV. But no. I didn't eat any. I mean I could but for now I choose not to.


After I cooked the bacon, I cooked two packets of beef trimmings that I stocked up the Sunday before Chinese New Year.

I seasoned the beef in Season All Seasoned Salt and some curry powder. I also added curry leaves and kaffir lime leaves when I air fried the beef.


It was, as usual, delicious. 


This is mommy and Girl on Chinese New Year eve. I had a bit of fun with her but she was not pleased hah...hah....

12 comments:

  1. I feel for you. It is tough to see our parents growing old and getting sick. Your mom is a strong and capable person and she alone has taken care of your dad for so many years. She does need some time off to refresh herself and some encouraging words to strength her. Difficult time for the patient and the care giver. Hope you and your brother can reach a win win solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comforting words, I also hope to find a resolution soon.

      Delete
  2. Yes, so sad when one is unwell like in my case for much of last year, so miserable. Thank God I am much better now, hopefully, it gets better and better in the Rabbit Year. Pray that your dad will be blessed with strength to get through this difficult time. God bless, all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind word. Yes, I pray everyday for my parents.

      Delete
  3. Very nice photo of you and Girl! 👍You are right about getting your mother some help, best if they could be in klang valley where you or your brothers could let her take a break. Please take good care. 🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope that my parents will consider relocating so that my brother and I can look out for them and help in any way we can.

      Delete
  4. God bless your mum and dad. Yes, I believe relocate them nearer to you or brother is good idea. Or having a live-in nurse also another option but nothing beats family care and support. I feel you, my fil also same case and my mil has been a strong pillar to him. But he has passed on and in better place now. Didn't feel pain anymore.

    You take care and be strong for both your parents. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for you comforting words. I hope my parents will consider moving over here so that my brother and I can help. A live-in nurse is ideal but cost wise it can be quite heavy.

      Delete
  5. So sorry to hear about your dad's health concerns and your mom experiencing caregiver fatique. Yes, getting them to relocate to stay with you or your brother is the right thing to do (which will eventually happen one day anyway) . That way there are more hands on deck to help out. Hope everything works out for you. Stay strong and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, appreciate your kind and encouraging words. I hope that things work out too and that mum and dad agree to relocate.

      Delete
  6. "Jia You" and I believe the condition will be better after they move to stay with you and your brother! At least you guys can lessen the burden of your mom and with the companionship from son and daughter definitely can cheer up your dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you and I hope my parents will consider the idea.

      Delete