Sunday 22 January 2023

January 2023 Challenge : Day #22 (Happy Chinese New Year!)

Gong Xi Fa Cai! Today is the first day of Chinese New Year. My brother and I stayed back while my other brother and his family returned to Kuala Terengganu to celebrate with our parents.

So today we had lunch at Marta's Kitchen. The last time we were there was also during Chinese New Year with our parents.


As usual, coffee for the two coffee lovers. Yes, I made an exception today to drink coffee and it was so good!


Not only did I drink coffee, I ate carbs! hah..hah..hah... These Patatas Bravas were so very good, crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. I also loved the combination of the tomato sauce and garlic mayo. Nyum!!!


We loved the Gambas Al Ajilo (our all time favorite) and wished that there was more bread to soak up the garlic infused olive oil.


The crispy garlic chips were wonderful. 

Next up was the Juicy Iberico Pork Ribs, available in two portion sizes - half or full rack. We were considering a full rack (which we would have been able to manage heh...heh...) but the well meaning server assured us that half rack is adequate for the two of us. 


Ooohh..la..la... the meat was tender and juicy, even better than the one we had on our very first visit. The tomato sauce which is similar to the one served with the Patatas Bravas enhanced the riblicious experience. We regretted not going with our gut feeling of getting a full rack. Next time!


Of course we had to have more carbs the Valenciana Paella and it was as good as we remembered.


I find that these days I can't digest carbohydrates as well as I did before. Too much leaves me bloated. But I can't help eating more than I should.


Dessert is a must! This is the Flan De Huevo which is homemade egg flan flavored with orange. It is something like creme caramel.


Another desert we got was the Crema Catalana - caramelized catalan custard cream with cinnamon and lemon, pretty much like creme brulee. I did not detect any cinnamon or lemon. 

Although we enjoyed the dessert, my brother and I found both too sweet for our tastebuds.


Many thanks to my brother for the lovely lunch. I am so stuffed that I might not need dinner.

12 comments:

  1. No fish? "No nian nian yu yee"? We had TWO for our Reunion Dinner. Blogpost on it coming up real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wah, so tasty! I prefer the prawns more than the ribs. What a wonderful meal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. Patatas Brava looked yummy. A nice little celebration and break from your carnivore diet.

    Wish you a Happy and Blessed Lunar New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Happy and Blessed Lunar New Year to you too! I enjoyed the carbs LOL!

      Delete
  4. Happy CNY! I hope this year brings you much happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope the same for you.

      Delete
  5. Ah, this is a proper cheat meal lah....from patatas to paella to sweet desserts to coffee...wuahahahaha! :D I see you came back and had the same few dishes (you must have truly enjoyed them) and some new desserts. P/S: I'm confident that you and your brother would have been able to handle a full rack of Iberico ribs...after all, these ribs usually aren't very meaty but can also understand why the server told you that half a rack would be enough since you both ordered a starter, main and dessert (the usual 3-course is what a person with a good appetite can eat). These days I can't handle 3 courses, sometimes not even two! ^_~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee...it was a wonderful cheat meal! These were the few dishes that were suitable for us, the rest not really to our liking. The next time we visit, it will be a full rack of ribs and perhaps only paella and desserts!

      Delete
  6. Why the meat of the middle part of the pork ribs fall-off like that? o.O"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the meat shrunk. If they BBQ the whole slab of ribs, it won't happen.

      Delete