Tuesday 23 April 2019

Marta's Kitchen


After our less than stellar pre-Chinese New Year tapas and paella experience, I told my brother that we must look for an alternative to enjoy Spanish food.

My brother did some research and that's how we ended up at Marta's Kitchen last Saturday.


Marta's Kitchen is located at The Signature in Desa Sri Hartamas. We parked by the roadside and made our way up to the restaurant via this walkway (we later found out that if you parked inside, you can get your ticket endorsed and parking fee is RM5.00 for the first 3 hours).


That was our pre-lunch workout and being not-so-fit, we were huffing and puffing away. Besides it was a very hot day.

Once inside, we contemplated where to sit (it was early and there were lots of seats) when we saw Marta bounding energetically out of the kitchen to say hello to us (actually she was on her way to their private room at another wing of the restaurant).

This lady is so charming, warm and friendly. She told us that it was a very busy day for her as they were hosting a private function. Then she made her way out, leaving us star struck and very impressed.

That's Marta on the left in black t-shirt. 
The restaurant is very spacious and I love the decor. This is a nice place to hangout with family and friends. As the hour progressed, we saw many families making their way inside.

The server brought us the menu and honestly, I am still quite unfamiliar with Spanish tapas but I knew that we had to have paella. With my brother's help we decided on our orders.


As usual, coffee! My brother had his favorite Latte (double shot, RM14.00) which was excellent. We love places that serve good coffee and good food.


I had the Mocca Coffee (RM14.00) and though it was nice and chocolaty, I should stick to my usual Long Black. The Passion Peach Tea (RM11.00) which I shared with my brother was very refreshing, though I found it too sweet for me.


The first of our tapas was the Marinated Pork Kebabs (RM20.00) comprising 3 skewers of very tender and juicy meat.

Though we enjoyed the succulence of the pork, we were not endeared to the spice seasoning which was predominantly cumin, a flavor perhaps more suited to lamb.


My brother made me take this photo to illustrated the juiciness of the meat. 


Next was the Chilli and Garlic Prawns (RM29.00) served with a basket of bread.


Look at how generous they are with the garlic. The prawns were cooked just right and my oh my, the garlic oil was so delicious that we were tempted to ask for more bread to soak up all the garlicky goodness. But we refrained from doing to make sure we had enough stomach space for more food to come.


If you are wondering where are the chilies, well, they are there. They look like goji berries (kei chee) and when you bite into them, well, you will feel the effect.

My brother told me that the oil tastes very much like our mum's fish garam kunyit. We made sure to fish out all the yummy garlic before we were done with this dish. It seemed such a waste to let all that oil go....


Next up was the Iberico Pork Ribs (half rack, RM85.00) served by a gentleman whom I found out later is Marta's husband. He is equally warm and kind like his lady.

The half-rack of ribs is a very generous portion. Gee, how are we going to fit our two plates of paella (and desserts)? Well, eat first, worry later.


The ribs, were tender, juicy and well marinated. We were so impressed.  We have never had such succulent moist meat. The flavors were so good that the ribs did not need any extra sauce.


When we ordered the paella, we were informed that there will be a 30 minute wait. That was a good thing as it meant that we would be getting freshly cooked paella.


See? The chef was busy working magic with two paella pans.


The Paella Valenciana (RM37.00) was to die for. Seriously good. It blew us away. I have not forgiven that other place for their wet and soggy paella. Marta's Kitchen is where we should come from now on to get our paella fix. 


The Iberico Pork Paella (RM37.00) was rich with smoky flavors, porky but in a good way. I was wondering what those green vegetables were (looked like kangkung to me) and my brother told me that those are French beans. Oh! 

In spite of our love for bacon and our appreciation for Iberico pork, we found ourselves gravitating more towards the Paella Valenciana


In addition to the beautiful big solitary prawn and mussel perched atop the paella, you can expect loads of smaller prawns, squid and chicken as you dig in. This paella is without doubt cooked with a rich seafood stock. You can taste seafood in every mouthful. If you can have only one paella, make it this one. 


By this time, we were feeling the stress in our tummies (though we did not at any time want to stop) and my brother asked me if I brought my trusty container. Well, I left it at home. So we trooped on and finished our paella


I was delighted when I saw that Burnt Cheesecake was on the menu. This is something I have always wanted to taste (though I have baked my own) and it did not disappoint. 


It was rich and creamy, with the right level of sweetness and no cheesy smell (my greatest fear). 


And of course we had to have churros! We chose the Churros with warm chocolate (RM17.00). The churros here are very crispy and crunchy.

Although we enjoyed it very much, my brother prefers the ones at Molten Chocolate Cafe where the exterior is crispy while the inside was chewy.

Well, that was another of our epic lunches and we plan to return very soon. There's lots more to explore of the menu and then there's the Paella Valenciana which we must eat again.


On our way out, we passed by the private room. Going down  the walkway was a lot easier in spite of our full stomachs heh...heh....


Many thanks to my brother for the scrumptious treat. Our next treat at Marta's Kitchen will be on me.


And to Marta, we can't wait to come back!

26 comments:

  1. Their Iberico ribs are truly amazing and to die for... the taste is still fresh in my mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a coincidence! Last weekend both of us ate tapas and paella but in different restaurants and I feel that the food you had here is better so I am going to visit Martha's Kitchen soon and order the pork ribs and Paella Valenciana! Yummy! So delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes! Go visit, you will not regret it :)

      Delete
  3. The long walkway looks so inviting that I can't wait to walk on it, hehehehehe to burn off some fats I hope. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice place. Look inviting and cosy. Paella Valenciana for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one is the best paella I ever tasted!

      Delete
  5. yummy paella and iberico pork ribs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just those two orders would have been satisfying already!

      Delete
  6. Every dishes you guys ordered look so good and I'm amazed by how good you and your bro's appetite was to finish such plenty of food!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Paella Valenciana looks so good! And so does the prawns in Garlic and chili oil. Will be paying a visit very soon as we all love Spanish food :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do visit. I am sure you and your family would enjoy the food as much as we did!

      Delete
  8. I must try spanish food one of these days after seeing both you and mun posting about tapas and paella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spanish food is delish! Hope you get to try soon.

      Delete
  9. Spanish food is something I hope to try one day. Everything looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if there is any Spanish restaurant in Ipoh or you can try when you come to KL!

      Delete
  10. The garlic in the shrimps dish looks like it was taken a bit too far while the churros needed a bit more colour. Other than that, everything you ordered looks downright yummy! ;) When you showed the bill at the end, I was jolted from my seat to see the 11 item count! :O You both had a drink, starter, main & dessert individually...and shared another (massive) main and a drink. Really hats off to you guys (and so early in the day too)! The advantage of having such good appetites though is that you don't need a big eating party or more than one visit to showcase many dishes...haha! ;P So, like that you had to fast for how many days after that epic meal? Kekeke! :D I should bookmark this place for the paella & ribs. ^_~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garlic was quite brown but not bitter and I agree that the churros are a bit pale. Yes, my brother and I can really eat hah..hah... We basically shared all the items and it was not that bad. I do hope you find your way to Marta's Kitchen. You will love the food!

      Delete
  11. Boy, you both had a marvelous meal! All your selections look terrific!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aha!!! I knew I saw this place somewhere before - I remember those logs in the decor and yes, I am right. The instant I saw the over-RM80 ribs, I remembered right away. Goody Foodies blogged about it...and of course, I had to mention the lovely ribs I had here for half the price...and got a lot more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the same place! Well, these ribs were Iberico, hence the hefty price tag.

      Delete