Friday 12 April 2019

Siew Yoke and Siew Kai One Pot Rice


My partner brought home some frozen siew yoke (Chinese roasted pork), siew kai (Chinese roasted chicken) and siew ngap (Chinese roasted duck) last weekend. 

So much meat! As you know, once these are frozen, they are not as good once defrosted and reheated. I mean, they still taste good but not as good as fresh. 

Since I am now looking into the lazy way of cooking a more or less complete meal, I thought it might be a good idea to use these roasted meats to cook a one pot rice meal. These roasted proteins are very flavorful and they save me a lot of time because I need not prepare from scratch.


So I took one roasted chicken leg and some roasted pork to defrost in the fridge overnight. The next day, I deboned  the chicken leg and cut the meat into cubes. I also cut the roasted pork into cubes.

Just like how I cooked Dirty Rice, I used celery, carrots and onions to flavor the rice. Then I added seasoning, rice and the chopped up roasted meat and transferred everything into my rice cooker. 


After that, just add water, switch on the rice cooker and let it do its thing. This is such an easy meal to prepare. I love being lazy heh...heh....


Look at that. Rice with meat and veggies. All in one. No fuss. And it's a good way to use up any leftover roasted meat.


It sort of remind me of "chye boey" soup where leftover roasted meat and vegetables are cooked together with salted mustard greens. Maybe we can call this chye boey rice? heh...heh....

One Pot Rice with Roasted Pork and Chicken
Recipe source : Phong Hong

Ingredients :
- 3 cups basmati rice, soaked for 20 minutes and drained
- 1 whole roasted chicken leg, deboned and diced
- 100g roasted pork, diced (agak-agak heh..heh...)
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 big onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cups water

Seasoning, mix together :
- 1 tbps vegetarian oyster sauce
- 3 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tbsp thick soya sauce
- 1/2 tsp pepper

Method :
1. Heat oil in wok and saute celery, carrot, onion and garlic until aromatic and softened.
2. Add the roasted chicken and pork and stir to mix.
3. Add seasoning and rice and stir to mix everything together.
4. Transfer to rice pot and add water. (I like to use a spoon to stir the contents just to make sure everything is evenly mixed before)
5. Switch on the rice cooker and cook the rice like usual.

22 comments:

  1. your rice must be very flavourful! My spouse will cook leftover roast meats with mustard leaf vege to make chye boey. I like chye boey cos it is sourish. Maybe cook a sourish one pot rice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! Good idea, maybe I add some kiam chye into the rice, but not too much hee..hee...

      Delete
  2. One pot rice, easy and tasty, why not?

    ReplyDelete
  3. One pot meals are a God-send when we don't have the luxury of time to get something on the dinner table. I like your statement...I love being lazy! Who doesn't? Hehe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salivating,Phong Hong, I have yet to invest in Basmati rice. I hope my family will like it .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola! This lazy aunty is sharing another cooking tricks! I will gladly learn this and start throwing leftovers into my rice pot soon and name it "Aunty Hong's Lazy Meal".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agreed. Roasted meats once frozen, it wouldn't be as tasty when reheat them.

    Why frozen? Where he got so much meats from??

    Your dirty rice is getting more creative and colourful. Good idea to use up the meats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been cooking this type of rice lately and it saves so much time!

      Delete
  7. Makes me think of claypot chicken or pork rice. Yummm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will do the same too. One pot rice very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Short on time but still want a delicious meal? Ah hong chee one pot rice is here to the rescue! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'll take two bowls of this! but how come you didn't add the roast duck too into the pot, ya? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you will see why soon! hee..hee..

      Delete
  11. Yeah, I love one pot cook dish... just dump in all the leftovers! I did just that yesterday, cooked all the leftover vegetables and meat in the fridge, add in some seasoning and cilipadi, a bit of this and that and my sister commented.. "That's You!" hahahaa..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part is that it tastes good, right? hah...hah...

      Delete