Friday 19 April 2019

Rawsome@Damansara Uptown : Squeaky Clean Eating


I did not know anything about Rawesome until one day when I was scanning my Fave app to see what other places at Damansara Uptown accept Favepay.

That's when I saw Rawsome@Uptown 3. Eh? This is new. Haven't seen it before. So I decided to investigate.


This place is fairly new and it is located just next to Tabung Haji. There is no signboard (as yet) and this space used to be occupied by a florist.


What I saw pasted on the glass door looked rather attractive, the food and the lunch promotion.


It looks like Damansara Uptown vegetarians have another place to have their meals besides BMS Organics and Sandalo


It was empty when I walked in and I sat down to study the menu. 


The meals in bowls look very attractive.


They even have Blood Type Bowls. How interesting!


So many bowls to choose from!


And loads of Chia Seed Puddings too.

It took me a while to decide what to eat and I eventually selected the Adobo Tempeh (RM14.40 after discount) which is pinoy style adobo cooked with tempeh, carrots, mushrooms & black fungus with a choice of brown rice quinoa, quinoa or cauliflower rice. I decided to go with the cauliflower rice.


It's self-service and you order and pay at the counter and your food will be delivered to your table.


You help yourself to the cutlery and drinking water.


My food soon arrived. It looked rather good. But I am afraid I was not loving my meal. The cauliflower rice was overcooked to the point that it was soggy. 


Although this is Adobo Tempeh, there was only one or two pieces of tempeh in my serving. The very generous portion of shitake mushrooms were overpowering. It was very difficult to eat and I struggled to finish my food.

But I am not going to judge Rawsome with just one meal. So I returned another day.


I noticed that there is another water station which I did not notice on my first visit.


I have some concerns about this type of bottles because the inside of the stopper can come into contact with fingers unless if you are like me, I try my best not to touch it.

Cross contamination can occur if customers are not conscious about the way they handle this bottle. I was once at a hotel for a seminar and I saw a participant cough (covering his mouth with his hand) and then he handled the bottle stopper. 

Sorry, I digress. Now let's get back to my food. I ordered the Nasi Lemak (RM14.40 after discount), which is touted to be their best seller. It comes with a choice of cauliflower, ramen, brown rice quinoa or quinoa with oil free chia sambal & curry soy meat.


The first thing that caught my eye was the discolored long beans. They were greyish green which meant that they were covered when they were still hot. That's what my late grandma taught me. When you cook long beans (or any leafy green veggies), do not cover them when they are hot or else they will change color.


No santan is used and as expected, there was no aroma or taste associated with nasi lemak. The curry was quite light in flavor.


The sambal tasted remotely of sambal and though quite fiery, was lacking in punch. I have had better vegetarian sambal and nasi lemak like the one at BMS Organics where the curry and sambal taste almost like the real deal.

This is just my opinion and I trust that there are many who may not agree with me. I understand that Rawsome has a few branches which proves that their brand of clean eating has a significant following. It's just too clean for me.

24 comments:

  1. Thank you for trying out this eatery for us. Guess you will not be going back because you prefer more flavourful food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess not and I wish them all the best!

      Delete
  2. Too clean, too light. I also prefer flavourful dish. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel a bit guilty about it hah..hah...

      Delete
  3. Too clinically clean for you. I too prefer more flavourful food. Looks like bms organics would be a better choice but at least you tried, never try never know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I tried it although it was not to my liking.

      Delete
  4. You are so gracious to revisit this place. Some like their food plain but people like us like our food more flavourful. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to be fair on my assessment and it all boils down to our tastebuds and preference. No fault of the restaurant.

      Delete
  5. I think I'll have no problem finish your bowl because I like Shiitake mushroom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that there are more people like you!

      Delete
  6. No good, eh? We have a lot here like this too - not great at all but surprisingly some seem to do very well. May be something wrong with me. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe something wrong with me too hee...hee...

      Delete
  7. that tip about the long beans / veggies is something i didn't know - so thanks for teaching me something new today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! As I got older, I started to appreciate all those things my grandma taught me,

      Delete
  8. Sekali pandang seperti hidangan bibimbap, rupa-rupanya bukan. Cantik2 hidangannya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meman cantik tapi tak memenuhi citarasa PH.

      Delete
  9. Have you tried La Juiceria's rice bowls? They have a couple which are really tasty despite them sounding really healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet but I would like to try it one day.

      Delete
  10. They're sure colourful.

    But not for me lah, hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me neither. We have naughty tastebuds :D

      Delete
  11. At least you went back to try the second time even though you did not really like the first visit, that is very fair of you. :) I think it is unlikely for me... hahhaa..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must give chance lah, not easy to run a restaurant. As far as possible I try to support the newcomers :)

      Delete
  12. There's one over the Ampang side of town too that I've eaten at a couple of times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is your type of food, healthy and wholesome!

      Delete