Tuesday 9 April 2019

My OMAD Steak & Rice Bowl


OMAD stands for One Meal A Day. Yes, makan satu kali sehari saja. Boleh tahan? It is one of the intermittent fasting protocols where you fast for 23 hours and eat during a one hour window.

So OK. It was a day after my two day feasting with my brother.


To make up for all the high calorie and high carb meals, I decided to try the OMAD fasting protocol the next day. My last meal on my brother's birthday ended just before 7:30pm. 

So I counted and decided to fast until 2:30 pm the next day which meant that I would be fasting for 19 hours. But no, I did not make it to 2:30pm and I broke my fast at 1:30pm instead. No big deal.

Since I finished eating at 2:00pm, I would fast until say, 11:00am the next day (21 hour fast, not quite the 23 hours I was aiming for but that's OK).

The longest I have fasted is 19 hours and since I would be doing 21 hours, I had to make sure I ate a nutrient dense meal. I figured that I would make me a Steak & Rice Bowl.


Like always, I get my steak out from the fridge about an hour or so.


Season one side generously with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.


Into a very hot pan for 3 minutes.


Season the other side.


Then flip and cook for 2 minutes.


Rest for 6 minutes. It's not easy to get it medium rare with a thin piece of steak. Most of the steaks sold at supermarkets are thinly sliced.


But I'm still happy with medium.

Remember my not so successful dirty rice? I stashed some away in the freezer and it came in handy to assemble my meal.

I sliced up some cherry tomatoes, chopped a small onion and some coriander and with a squeeze of lime and a sprinkle of salt, I made a tomato salsa.


This bowl of food was very satisfying as I got to eat rice with an awesome steak. The tomato salsa and sliced avocado made for a nice accompaniment. I know my mother is going "eh, not enough vegetables!" heh...heh... Don't worry ma. I eat loads of vegetables most of the time.

This bowl of food took me through the rest of the day and the next day without me feeling that much hunger. I broke my fast at 11:00 am with this :



See, I told you I eat lots of veggies. Not a glamorous meal but I enjoyed it all the same.

24 comments:

  1. yes, a good way to balance out after heavy feasting session. What a delicious steak and rice meal! The few hours less than what was recommended shouldn't matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your intermittent fasting method!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear that you've found a diet method that can suit you well, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a method that I love doing because it is not so restrictive on what I can or cannot eat.

      Delete
  4. One meal a day?? I wiuld die!!!


    Good to cut down on carbs. Me too, trying not to take too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not for you lah, you are a busy active mum, you need energy! LOL!

      Delete
  5. Those bowls look delicious. Really. I just love avocado. Say avocado and the rest of the ingredients get ignore. Just give me the avo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I love avocado too. Recently discovered the Shepherd avocado and it is so creamy!

      Delete
  6. It is very good to fast very often. This is my first time hearing the OMAD method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to do OMAD at least once a week but not so successful yet hah..hah...

      Delete
  7. I like that chap fan platter. Looks good! OMAD? I'd end up feeling hungry ALL the time and indulge in non-stop snacking in between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the chap fan every Sunday for lunch hee..hee..

      Delete
  8. oh...u practising OMAD...I felt that after not eating for 23 hours (or more), I dun feel hungry that much, and even so, wouldn't want to take heavy meal such as meats and rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only managed once. So far 19.5 hours pun feel dizzy LOL!

      Delete
  9. The one where you finished eating at 2pm and fast until 11am the next day, that I call fasting-lah since you skipped dinner and breakfast. But the one after dinner at 7.30pm and fast until 1.30pm the next day, that don't sound like fasting to me. Don't we do that all the time? It's called skipping breakfast and eating lunch the next day...kekeke! ;D That saya boleh buat...hihihi! ^_~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee... actually you are right. The 16/8 method, which is the easiest, it nothing more than skipping breakfast. Quite easy to do and I am now trying the 20/4 method and so far so good. But OMAD, cannot tahan. Not yet hee..hee..

      Delete
  10. with a steak that beautifully prepared, the cow didn't perish in vain :) i used to do a lot of intermittent fasting (partly to save time on going for meals), but alas, i always ate too much during the actual meal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice way of putting it hee..hee... I did the cow justice :) Ah.. so you are not new to IF. I find that it has a suppressive effect on me. I can't eat as much when I break my fast.

      Delete
  11. When i am bored, i eat, when i am sad, i eat, when i am happy, i eat, that's me, i have all the motivation to eat but no motivation to diet, good that you have the discipline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like me too LOL! But once I started IF, I have less opportunity to eat and so far, I am OK with that.

      Delete
  12. I pun suka makan vege macam macam jenis LL.... tapi protien wajiblah ada. Kalau mcm plate u tu berapa RM diaorang charge sekarang LL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tak tahulah, Hainom. Kat luar takde yang macam LL masak ni hee..hee...

      Delete