Wednesday 27 March 2019

My So So One Pot Spiced Chicken and Dirty Rice


What's Dirty Rice? Why is the rice dirty? Before I get into all that dirty business, let me tell you why I cooked dirty rice.

It was pretty much inspired by a dish I had recently at a restaurant - Grilled Portuguese Chicken & Dirty Rice. I was very intrigued by the "Dirty Rice" part and this is how the dish looked like.


I peered closely at the rice and there was nothing dirty about it hee..hee... Upon tasting, I'm afraid I was not a fan. I found the spices too heavily applied and the flavors were simply overwhelming. This coming from a person who loves strongly flavored food. 

But still, it got me intrigued enough to find out more about dirty rice. Apparently, dirty rice is a spicy and flavorful Cajun rice dish made from white rice and it gets its dirty colors from finely chopped chicken livers and ground meat. I see!

So I searched for recipes and found many different versions of dirty rice. All of them appeared to be delicious and I settled on one and gave it a go.


Unfortunately, although the chicken tasted rather good, the dirty rice was not so impressive. It needs tweaking to suit my taste buds. Because I did not find the dirty rice to my liking, I won't share the recipe here until I find one that I enjoyed eating.


But no, this dish did not go to waste as it was still decent enough to eat. All it needed was a few squishes of Lingham chili sauce and I was all good wahahaha!!!

Well, that's how it is. There is always a risk when trying out recipes for the first time. Don't worry. I am sure I will find a good one that I can share.

25 comments:

  1. Nothing dirty about your rice either...but the chicken is. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I see you went back to Two Hands for the grilled Portuguese chicken & dirty rice. ^_* I recommended this to you as I know you love Indian flavours and spices (as well as punchy flavours), so I'm quite surprised you didn't find this to your liking. On closer inspection, yours showcased a more yellowish rice than the one I had with more tomatoey flavours (maybe they were a bit heavy-handed with the spices this time?). I didn't know what dirty rice contained (so thanks for your explanation)...did you say finely chopped chicken liver? Hmmm, no wonder I liked it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did! I also thought I would love the dish but they were too heavy handed with the spices and it was way too strong. There are many variation of dirty rice, in fact any kind of one pot rice with additional ingredients can qualify as "dirty" hee...hee.....

      Delete
  3. from the look of it, I wouldn't know it is dirty rice...looks more like fried rice to me, lol (I m so hopeless jakun!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually any rice that is not white is "dirty" looking hah..hah...

      Delete
  4. Never heard about dirty rice hehe...
    At a glance, it looks like nasi goreng to me. Will wait for your recipe to know more about this nasi :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... I am still researching..

      Delete
  5. "Dirty rice" is new to me. Learned something new today! I am sure you will be able to come up with a delicious recipe for "dirty rice" to share with us soon. That drumstick looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to buy chicken too before I try the dish again. LOL!

      Delete
  6. Your dirty rice looks like nasi tomato. I would like to try the dirty rice you ate at two hands to see why you didn't like it. I like spices in general so I think I should like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you try the dish, let me know what you think :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing, now i know what is dirty rice

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one way to grab attention - through a name like that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing dirty. It is colourful.

    Yours definitely look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought too hah..hah...

      Delete
  10. imagine tarpau-ing this dish for our parents and telling them, nah, try this dirty rice :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The look on their faces would be priceless! LOL!

      Delete
  11. hahaha..first time I heard of it.. Dirty Rice.. I only know how to do One pot rice... everything dumped in and the meal is done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One pot rice is actually very delicious!

      Delete
  12. Oh chicken liver in it, sure I'm not going to enjoy this =.="

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all versions contain liver. Mine doesn't.

      Delete
  13. Hihihihi... suspen betul nama dia kan.... See dirty dirty pun org still nak makan jugak kan.
    I tak pernah dengarlah this type of nasi LL, maybe mcm nasi briyani jugaklah buh spice spice dalam tu, cuma nama je berbeza

    ReplyDelete