Friday 22 March 2019

Bacon It


You know I love bacon. Anything that can be baconed, I bacon. Like pumpkin, healthy salads and even prunes. So when I read about Bacon It in The Star, of course I was interested.

Let me be clear, this is not a paid post. I am not paid or offered any inducement to blog about Bacon It, ok? Just sharing and kepoh-ing and giving my honest to God opinion.

From the many bacon laced products made by Bacon It, I tried the popcorn, candied nuts and chocolate chip cookies.

I am not a big popcorn fan though I do enjoy it when at the movies. As for candied nuts, yes and chocolate chip cookies, definitely. So let's take a look at my initial modest and yet indulgent online order of three items.


How could I resist Bacon & Chocolate Chip Cookies (RM35.00)? I had to try it.


It comes with a freshness seal but no expiry date is indicated. Meaning? They don't expect this thing to last once opened hee..hee... 

The first thing that hits you is the wonderful aroma of chocolate. No, you don't smell bacon (at least I didn't).


The chocolate chip content is quite generous with flaked sea salt and when you bite into it ........


Ah!!! Bacon! Let me be honest. If I was not told that this cookie contains bacon, I would not have guessed because even though I did detect an aroma (not usually associated with regular chocolate chip cookies), it was not what I expected of smoked or regular bacon.

Maybe the taste of bacon mingled with cookie dough/chocolate alters its original taste. Though I enjoyed this very crunchy and chocolaty cookie (enhanced with the salty hit of sea salt), I'm afraid I was not feeling any love from the bacon. But still...these are very good chocolate chip cookies which I love, bacon or not.


Now how about a spot of bacon popcorn? Bacon Bourbon Caramel Popcorn (RM17.00, 100g). Just the name itself, I am quivering hee..hee...


You will find a packet of bacon among the popcorn when you tear open the pouch. The bacon is not crispy, it is more like bak kwa.


I ate a popcorn first. Oohhh... lovely flavor and very crunchy. Then I took a piece of bacon to try by itself. I understand that this is homemade smoked bacon and I'm afraid the taste and aroma did not endear itself to me.

Don't get me wrong, it's just that this is not smoked bacon that I am accustomed to/hoping for. I reckon my tongue has been compromised by the commercial stuff which resulted in this homemade one becoming less friendly to my tastebuds. 

However, when I ate the bacon together with the popcorn, it worked. The sweet and salty dynamics made for a dangerously addictive snack.


Another day (yes, on a different day, I have good self control. Hah!) I tried the Bacon & Rum Butterscotch Popcorn (RM17.00, 100g).


The popcorn itself was da bomb (just like the previous one) and of course I must not ignore the bacon which complimented the sweet popcorn. This one comes with perfectly roasted whole almonds (not seen in the photo) that made the experience all the better.

And then I got the case of itchy mouth. The following week this happened ..............

and this ...............


Between the two, I very much prefer the Bacon & Sambal Ikan Bilis.


It had a spicy pungent kick to it. The packet of ikan bilis and bacon sambal enhanced the taste even further. It's quite spicy hot this one. Totally addictive.


Loved it! 


And of course I had to have the nuts.


This sweet-sticky-spicy-savory nut combo reminds me of kam tui mooncakes. Perhaps the spices used are similar. Another addictive temptation.



The popcorn have a short shelf life (about 2 weeks) because they contain no preservatives. So if you are buying these as gifts, don't buy too many days in advance. Delivery is quite fast, within 2 days after placing and payment of your order. Check it out here.

All in all, I loved the popcorn (even without the bacon), the chocolate chip cookies (though I was not in love with the bacon) and the nuts (finally I loved the bacon).

It's ironic that I wasn't thrilled by the star ingredient but overall, the products by themselves (even without bacon) are already awesome.



Seeing that these are premium products, I would not indulge in them too often but I would not hesitate to order them as gifts.

I imagine that anyone who receives these Bacon It creations would be delighted as these goodies are beautifully packaged and they taste really good.

32 comments:

  1. Bacon and chocolate chip cookies? A savoury snack??

    Bacon and popcorn, I would like to try that.

    Very nice packaging. But I am not sure I would be thrilled to taste it. For me, bacon is not meant in such food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... I never thought of that too until I tried these products. They also have bacon ice cream!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Thank you very much for the review because I don't think I will ever buy them to try because I am not a bacon lover though my spouse is. Now we know what gifts to get you, hehehehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Maybe you can get this for your spouse as a birthday gift :)

      Delete
    2. Hahahaha, not going to encourage him, hahahaha!

      Delete
  3. hmm....i'm not so much into bacon (just like lapcheong), though I eat it once-in-a-while. I like popcorns and I can finish the whole pack in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. LOL! Never imagined it in popcorn or cookies :)

      Delete
  5. Gifts? Did somebody say gifts? #getsdownonkneesandstartspraying

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at rum... rum popcorn... I don't even need the bacon. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, even without bacon it was fantastic!

      Delete
  7. Bacon in cookies? Wow that is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I read about it too in the Star, a lady started this popcorn with bacon, inspired by her brother or something like that...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's disappointing that bacon didn't turn out to be the star of the show when the name is Bacon-It after all. >_< I'm surprised to see the bacon bits packaged separately from the popcorn. Like that, how can the popcorn get any bacon flavour? ;P I think you enjoyed the candied nuts coz this one had the bacon mingling with the nuts...finally. Since you already know how to make chocolate chip cookies, bet you can make your own bacon chocolate chip cookies...and much cheaper too! ;) By the way, how does this compare to those bacon snacks from fivetwofoods?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was a bit disappointed but overall the products are good. So far the only snack I tried from fivetwofoods is their candied bacon which is awesome. I noted that they have revamped their website and offer many more products.

      Delete
  10. I like popcorn, very addictive. I am interested in the spicy popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spicy one is very good. I was quite surprised.

      Delete
  11. bacon is so versatile, yeah, it can be partnered with so many different ingredients. i've had bacon-laced cocktails, and those are pretty fun too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how bacon can be incorporated into so many things I never imagined like cakes and even ice cream!

      Delete

  12. Here are some youtube videos on bacon

    Bacon chocolate chip cookies
    https://youtu.be/6BAQF5FF6r8

    Bacon popcorn
    https://youtu.be/ml6gwcWgsHQ

    Bacon donuts
    https://youtu.be/u7V4HSBZAIw

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bacon in cookies? Hmmm.... Will hunt for it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The world is going nuts with new recipes to add bacons. They have started to sprinkle bacon bits onto ice cream too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, also into chocolate cakes. LOL!

      Delete
  15. Those popcorn bacon,I initially thought it is bacon flavoured popcorn but it's actually just popcorn + bacon which can be easily duplicate at home! >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually yes, can make at home but I won't bother hah..hah..

      Delete