Thursday 21 March 2019

Fujisawa Izakaya@A Foodie's Nest The Starling (CLOSED)


I have been having my meals every now and then at the food court (A Foodie's Nest) at The Starling. So far I have only stuck to one side of the food court which is the one that houses my favorite chee yok fun heh...heh....


I wanted to eat a more well balanced meal and I figured that a bento would be a good idea. Besides, I have been curious about this Japanese kiosk.


Fujisawa Izakaya, it's called and I checked the menu.


There is an assortment of udon/nabe, bento and donburi. Hmmm.... not bad.


Then there are the sashimi/sushi, appetizers, salads, dessert and beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic). Choices in each category are limited but that's to be expected of a kiosk at a food court. 

For my first meal, I had the Tori Teriyaki Bento (chicken, RM18.90). 


The only item I disliked was the tako yaki (octopus ball) which was sitting on my rice. It was floury and had an unpleasant taste. Other than that, I enjoyed my meal.

Then on another visit I tried the Ika Teriyaki Bento (squid, RM19.90).


Again I disliked the offending tako yaki. The squid was just so so. Not going to order this again.



I also tried the Saba Shioyaki Bento (RM17.90).  Wah so big the fish!

But don't get too excited. 



It was only half a fish heh..heh... and it was good.


I later realized that Fujisawa Izakaya has a restaurant proper nearby, above the now closed Pudu Chan Fatt Wanton Mee

Then on my latest visit, I had what I spotted (and coveted) on my earlier visits.


Feeling extravagant, I told myself, what the heck. Life is short. 


Yes, the tako yaki was still there and since there was half a calamansi lime in my tray, I squeezed that over the octopus ball and that made it somewhat palatable.

Was the wagyu beef any good?


Yes, it was. The beef was well executed and very tender. I liked the ginger/garlic sauce that dressed the meat. It was a pricey meal and luckily it was good.

I guess I can come back whenever I want Japanese food and the fact that they accept Favepay (where I get cashback from each visit) makes it even more attractive.

22 comments:

  1. Oooooo...what lovely bentos! I wish I could get one decent one here, a complete meal by itself. None at the franchise place that we frequent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love bentos as as get my protein, veges and carbs all in one tray. Saves me the hassle of cooking too hee..hee...

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review. Favepay is like a loyalty programme where the next time you go there, you will use the cashback from your previous visit. Good to use for places that you like to frequently eat at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Favepay as it doubles up as e-wallet and loyalty card. There are lots of perks and now I favor places that accept Favepay.

      Delete
  3. The food pictures are making me hungry and now I have to go look for something to eat! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I hope you had something nice to eat :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, I initially thought the wagyu was rather cheap. Then I looked again at the menu and saw the little Australian flag...no wonder lah...hehe! :D I had the same experience as you with the saba. I thought they were so generous to give me two fish once only to realise it was one half each! >.<

    Oh dear, Pudu Chan Fatt. Founded in 1955. Called it a day in 1996. Revived in 2017. Called it a day again in 2018. Closed for good hopefully...kekeke! :P No new eatery in its place yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... yup, Australian wagyu. It's not bad actually. Pudu Chan Fatt has been replaced by a cafe called After Meal or something like that. I have yet to investigate hee..hee...

      Delete
  5. Good choices of bento but I guess not all is nice. I tasted tako yaki once in a fusion cafe and like you described, it was floury. From then onward, I don't order it anymore. And I don't visit that outlet too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I just leave the tako yaki aside LOL!

      Delete
  6. wah, wagyu beef bento!! so premier!! now I m craving for it....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good that you found another lunch place other than the pork noodles :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, life is full of surprises, good and bad.. so why not enjoy our food by pampering ourselves while we can... hahaha.. I like the meal with the saba anytime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite surprised that I enjoyed the saba a lot!I usually prefer chicken hee..hee..

      Delete
  9. Looks like it’s value for money. Yum! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laughed at your saba shioyaki.
    Looks can be deceiving yeah?
    But half also, it still look like a big portion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought, wah so value for money. But you are right, half a fish also very kenyang!

      Delete
  11. Usually when I patronize Japanese kiosk like this, I would order their bentos, complete and good for big eater like me LOL

    ReplyDelete