Friday 8 March 2019

Penang Flavours Express@A Foodie's Nest The Starling


Eh? There is a new kiosk at the food court at The Starling. Penang Flavours Express. Now, when you see "Penang" be forewarned. Don't get too excited.


But you can't help yourself, can you? No matter how many times you get duped by the label "Penang", you fall for it every time. Will it happen again?


Upon closer inspection, this is what they serve :

Appetizers :



Noodles :



Rice Sets :



Desserts :



I did not find anything that I would fancy from the rice sets and noodles. What interested me was the popiah and tahu bakar. And the Penang rojak. And yes, the cendol and ice kacang.

In spite of my misgivings, I gave the popiah and tahu bakar a try. If these two don't pass the taste test, then I am duped again. Once beaten, never shy.

So.



Yes. Yes. Where is your portion control, you ask. These are considered very light meals for me and it doubles up as my dinner before my fast starts at 5:00pm.



The popiah. Unremarkable. I have had better.



The filling was just soggy sengkuang.



The tahu bakar.



Soggy and too saucy with a distinct taste of calamansi lime. So what did I tell you? That's it. I told me so.


But still, who knows there could be other items that could be a redeeming feature to this Penang wannabe kiosk. So I went  back for the cendol, something which I love.


Dear, dear me ......... I've drawn my conclusion and I wish them lots of luck.


23 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review and testing the food for us. Since you did not try the cendol, I may try the cendol depending on what I can see from the kiosk when I visit Starling Mall this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be disappointed with the cendol.

      Delete
  2. Wah, your fasting starts so early at 5pm ah? For me, it is no food after 8 pm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes stop eating at 6pm or 7pm depending on my schedule. Flexible mah hee..hee...

      Delete
  3. Geez. Why the food especially popish looked unappetzing. How could they served it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the issue that I have with some cafes and restaurants. They are quite daring and most of these type don't last long.

      Delete
  4. Honestly the real Penang styled poh piah is always soggy wet but tasty.
    I must go and try this new outlet. If no go, I will kanasai them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the main thing - tasty, as the one I had was not. Let me know what you think :)

      Delete
  5. From their menu, they already don't look authentic! :O Penang people don't call their curry noodles as curry laksa (it's a KL thing)...it's more common for it to be known as curry mee...kekeke! :D They use the word laksa more exclusively for their assam laksa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that spot on! I went back for the cendol and updated my post. Sadly, not up to mark.

      Delete
  6. Like what they call Penang char kway teow here. I cannot understand why they cannot simply call it char kway teow...and follow whatever original recipe they may have up their sleeves. As long as it is nice, who cares whether it is Penang's or wherever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. The use Penang as a bait!

      Delete
  7. Yes, all the time duped by the word "Penang". Too bad the popiah and tahu bakar so disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ipoh has one stall something like this too in the mall.. Went twice or three times and that was it.. Go for the real original ones in Penang, sure will not be a Let Down. LOL..

    ReplyDelete
  9. So in what way was the cendol a fail? I was at Foodies' nest yesterday but didn't try this cendol because I didn't feel like it. Had Judy's lei cha instead which is very tasty just like what you wrote. Ok, not trying this cendol since you say it is not tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know how a good cendol taste like, right. This one is everything it is not. Glad you tried Judy's lei cha!

      Delete
  10. whatever with the name 'Penang'...sorry lah...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had the Curry Mee & it was the worst Curry Mee I've ever tasted! Never again! And for RM10.90 per bowl, it's expensive. Please don't claim to be Penang food when there's no authenticity to it and don't bluff people!

    ReplyDelete