It looks like I haven't been roasting any chicken yet this year, have I? heh..heh... Well, I did but I did not have the time to snap any pictures let alone write a post. You know, writing an eating out post is so much easier than writing a cooking post.
I just snap some pictures of what I eat and then tell you about it and wham! bang! habis cerita. But a cooking post .....ala .....got to make it look good, make the chicken pose nicely and then write the recipe. A lot of work lah.
So. I found one half chicken in the freezer. Well, actually there were two. The first one I roasted with very good results and I decided to do another one.
I marinated the chicken for 24 hours in the fridge, uncovered like this.
Then I left it out for a good 2 hours to come to room temperature.
I lined another tray with aluminum foil (for easier cleaning) and placed a wire rack on top. Then the chicken goes on the rack.
I place the tray on the turntable of my oven to roast the chicken at 180C for 55 minutes. My oven gets too hot, so if I place the chicken on the middle rack, it gets burnt.
After 55 minutes (this timing was from the previous week's experience), it came out looking like this with lots of delicious drippings.
The skin was very crispy. And due to my very generous application of spices and salt (and the long marination), the chicken tasted wonderful.
Eaten with just a Broccoli Slaw, it made for a very nice low carb meal. Oh yes, I do go low carb on certain days to balance things off. If I remember correctly, I overindulged in wanton mee, tacos and bacon popcorn. Ooops!!!
Spicy Crispy Chicken
Recipe source : Phong Hong
- 1/2 chicken
Spice paste (mix all together)
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
-1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
1. Rub the spice paste all over the chicken.
2. Leave to marinate overnight in the fridge, uncovered (for crispy skin)
3. Before roasting, bring out of the fridge to stand to room temperature.
4. Line a tray with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on it.
5. Place chicken on the wire rack and roast the chicken at 180C for 50-5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (I put the chicken on the lowest position ie on the oven turntable).