Friday 1 March 2019

Char Mee


I love fried noodles. They are tasty and easy to cook. When I run out of ideas what to feed my partner, I cook fried noodles hee...hee...

I like yellow noodles even though I have been told that they are full of chemicals and preservatives. I have seen these yellow noodles being left unattended at noodle stalls when these stalls are not in operation. Yikes! That's how they stay fresh in the open like that. Scary.

But still. I eat them once in a while. I usually buy this brand because I like it and it is one of the two that I can get from Jaya Grocer.


Before cooking, I take them out of the package and fluff them up.


Do I rinse them? No, I do not. I did that once and ended up with soggy noodles, so I don't bother anymore.


Once important thing to remember is to taste the noodles first before you decide how much seasoning to use. Some brands are saltier than others. This one that I am using is on the salty side, so I put less seasoning.

You can add any sort of greens you like - mustard greens, pak choy or cabbage together with carrots or mushrooms. For the proteins, it can be any that you like or you can even leave it out for a meat free version.

Simple Fried Noodles
Recipe source : Phong Hong

Ingredients :
- 450g yellow noodles
- 150g meat, seasoned with some garlic, soya sauce and pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 small bunches of pak choy
- one small carrot, sliced

Mix together :
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soya sauce
- 1/2 tsp pepper

Method :
1. Heat oil wok and saute garlic until lightly browned and fragrant.
2. Add meat and stir fry until cooked.
3. Add carrots and stir fry until tender crisp.
4. Add light and dark soya sauce.
5. Add pak choy and stir fry briefly and add noodles.
6. Fry until noodles are well coated in seasoning and pak choy is wilted.

30 comments:

  1. I like to eat yellow noodles once in a while in curry noodles or prawn noodles. Also when stirfried together with char kway teow, Yours look good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like fried noodle too but I don't eat yellow noodle that often. Hone cooked is the best. You can add anything you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. one char mee please! no, not one....I tink I need 3 plates! LOL! yours is so 'premium' with lotsa ingredients....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not me. Hehe
    I prefer bihun myself.

    But your char mee sure looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I like that mee. Would be nicer if it was cooked into Hokkien Char which is famous in the northern states! So yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew how to Hokkien char hee..hee...

      Delete
  6. Wow! It looks so delicious. I prefer fried mee hoon or fried wantan noodles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, same as Lina. I also like fried meehoon.

      Delete
  7. Hi PH!
    Does char means goreng?

    I prefer bihun over mee but my kids like mee more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Puan Hazel! Yes, char is goreng just like char kuay teow. I also like bihun.

      Delete
  8. High five, yellow noodles for me too! When i eat curry noodles or prawn noodles i would ask for yellow noodles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, for soup, I must have yellow noodles or kuey teow.

      Delete
  9. That looks good. You can try cooking some Foochow fried noodles next.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think noodles to you are like pasta to me - such a quick yet satisfying dish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks yummy. my family like mee. they always order fried mee when eat out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to dislike fried mee as a child but now I seem to favor it.

      Delete
  12. my favourite stir-fry is probably kuey teow - more surface area on each strand to be coated with flavour, heheh! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my favorite too! Just that I can't fry kway teow as well as I fry mee or meehoon.

      Delete
  13. I will only eat yellow noodle in curry, prawn noodle and fried. Your char mee looks delicious and I would love to have a plate. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know you enjoy yellow noodles too!

      Delete
  14. I like yellow noodles too especially prawn noodles. Somehow they taste better.. yes, I know, lots of chemicals to make them yellow and more lasting... I agree with you, once rinsed, they are very soft coz I use hot water, worse.. hahaaha..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny thing is, I like the smell. LOL!

      Delete
  15. I like yellow noodles too, and I must admit not many people like it and you are most probably the only person like it :P
    I can't resist fried noodles too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? hah..hah... I thought most people like this noodle.

      Delete