Yup, you can make this stuff at home. I decided to try it after my unopened not yet past expiry date bottle of mayonnaise turned out spoiled. Bah!
It is a local brand and I don't know what went wrong. Maybe the mayo was exposed to too much heat during transportation from the supplier to the supermarket or what.
To make mayonnaise, the recipe I used requires egg, oil, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard and salt.
For safety, I used pasteurized eggs.
The oil used must be flavorless or else your mayo will taste funny. I used extra light olive oil.
I happen to have Dijon mustard in the fridge and sea salt is a staple in my pantry.
Good thing I had a bottle of white vinegar in the kitchen and I bought the lemon.
Simply put the ingredients into the container that came with your immersion blender.
And blend away using your immersion blender.
Voila! It tastes very good. Better than that store bought one that went funky.
I used it to make a Broccoli Slaw.
This recipe makes one cup of mayo, just nice for my one serving of Broccoli Slaw.
Recipe source : Adapted from Downshiftology
- 1 whole egg (I used pasteurized)
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup extra light olive oil (or any other light flavored oil)
1. Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature.
2. Add ingredients in order as per listed into your immersion blender container.
3. Blend the ingredients until the mixture emulsifies to become a thick creamy mayonnaise.
4. Store refrigerated in an airtight container.
Here's the video that I referred to.