Tuesday 26 March 2019

Another One Bites The Dust



The other day when I was doing my rounds at The Starling I noticed that a restaurant that I have visited before was closed.

Eh? I have eaten here twice, once with my brother and a second time on my own. Are they closed for maintenance or closed for good?


A day or two later, it was confirmed. The place was boarded up and there goes another restaurant. I hope something good opens up at this space. 


Restoran Home Kitchen (previously located between Guardian and Family Mart) has also called it a day.


A coffee shop which housed the cheapest chap fan in the area has also folded up to be replaced by this Red Drip which I have yet to visit.


It is confirmed that Pudu Chan Fatt has thrown in the towel. I believe a new cafe will be opening and is looking for service staff.

Just last week I noted that a new cafe has indeed opened.



Good luck, people!



This mamak shop, Restoran Khalifah has also closed. Above it, Xi You Ji is the second occupant to take up that space after it was vacated by Ampersand.

Geez.... Theori Food has also closed down to be replaced by this Polo Bun Cafe. So sad. I admit that I had not been visiting them prior to the closure, favoring only cafes that accept credit cards or e-wallets.

Finally, the space vacated by Sedapnya at The Starling is going to be occupied soon by The Museum. Have you heard of them? I haven't. So we'll see what The Museum is all about soon.


28 comments:

  1. Economy is bad, everyone close shop.

    But therevis always new one opens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I even make bets with myself which one will close and when hah..hah...

      Delete
  2. of all the names you mentioned here I have only been to Pudu Chan Fatt. I think the food is quite ok because I can accept the taste of the wanton noodles sauce/gravy. I wonder did they move to a new township or gave up doing the restaurant business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was no notice whatsoever, so I am also in the dark about Pudu Chan Fatt.

      Delete
  3. Never seen The museum before but google reveals a few locally so I wonder which one will open here. let's see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is one in Ipoh and it did not look appealing to me. Pretty much high end Chinese food and there were a few reviews that complained too expensive.

      Delete
  4. Sad, very sad. Quite a lot of places closing down here too and not so many people at most places, dunno how long they will last. Things don't seem to be getting any better, a lot worse, in fact. #noharapan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very grim. Lots of empty shop lots up for rent.

      Delete
  5. OMG! This is scary indeed.

    I hope Annie-1 will live on till eternity because I still visit their shop on weekly basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am confident that Annie-1 will stand the test of time, barring unusual circumstances. They are still packing in the crowds.

      Delete
  6. So many eateries closing down!

    ReplyDelete
  7. F&B outlets seem to close after a few years, the soonest I have seen was around 3months....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary, right? Over here I have seen 2 that shut down within 2 months. And a few more within 6 months to a year.

      Delete
  8. Got surprises every now and then whenever I'm at this area :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya lah. So when I see something new, I will go and try before they shut down.

      Delete
  9. The museum, what a unique name for a food business

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a very exciting name to me hah..hah...

      Delete
  10. I have heard of The Museum in Ipoh from a friend but have not tried the food yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that when I googled. Dunno if it is the same one.

      Delete
  11. Oh dear, I remember you liking most of the food here that are now closed...Ampersand, Theori, the chap fan, etc. Those you like also close shop. Imagine those you don't like...kekeke! :D Uptown is a very scary place to have a F&B business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so volatile. I see it all the time, on opening day they are packing in the crowds and the next thing you know, the place is empty and has to shut down. Some of those that shut down, I can understand why because the food and service are simply not up to mark. But the good ones perhaps are hampered by high cost/staff issues and to a certain extent the whims of customers who are always looking for something new.

      Delete
  12. Not surprising that the stall closes down every now and then.. overhead cost must be high in these type of places.. The Museum? Ipoh has one, I went there before, the food is not bad esp the BBQ char siew.. wonder if it is the same concept or entirely different..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rental here is the main killer. I wonder whether The Museum is the same as the one in Ipoh. Wait and see!

      Delete
  13. i guess the thing about damansara uptown is, you can go there once a week, and every time you go, there'll definitely be a new eatery, but there'll probably also have been a closure. khalifah closing is the surprise for me, since mamak places always seem to do well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! There was one fast food fried chicken place at Uptown 5 that lasted only 3 months!

      Delete
  14. I really do wonder what type of market research goes into place before opening something new...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually doubt if any market research was done.

      Delete