Thursday 28 March 2019

A Date At Mak's Chee@1 Utama


When I visited Mak's Chee@1 Utama during the Chinese New Year, I snapped a few photos and sent them to my partner. I told him that we should visit together.

So one Saturday evening  we did. It was a good thing that we were early because the restaurant filled up quite quickly after we were seated.


I have been wanting to try the Beef Brisket Soup Noodle (RM13.90) and that's what I had.


The soup was not beefy but rather it was seafood based which I found ...... strange. I would expect a beef brisket soup to taste of beef. The meat was tender and with the benefit of hindsight, I think I would have enjoyed beef tendon much more (next time!).


My partner was quite overwhelmed with the choices and asked me to order for him. So I picked the Wanton & Dumpling Soup Noodle (RM16.90) for him.


He liked the dumplings but commented that the noodles were "too hard". I think what he meant was that they were a tad firm and springy. I have no complaints with this texture.


In addition to noodles, we also ordered two sides of HK Kailan with Oyster Sauce (RM10.90) and ....


.... Deep Fried Dumplings (5 pieces, RM16.90) which was served with Thai Chili Sauce.


For drinks, it was an iced Jasmine Green Tea (RM3.50) for me and a hot Lemon Tea (RM4.90 for him).

It was my treat that evening (my once a month dinner treat hee..hee...) and because Mak's Chee accepts Favepay, I redeemed RM15.00 which I earned from one of Favepay's rewards.


It was a good dinner. I know that because there were no complaints from my partner (aside from the "hard" noodles). I think we can dine at Mak's Chee again.

18 comments:

  1. Wow to the beef soup.

    Definitely a delightful dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noodles look really good, and the fried dumplings too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too bad and I don't mind coming back for more.

      Delete
  3. Wow! RM 15 cash back is so good! I am with your partner on the noodles being "too hard". I find them too hard for me too. Did he mention anything about peanut taste in the dumplings? Yes, do try the beef tendons (this is one eatery that serves beef tendons so I will eat it if I dine here) and have the dry noodles version since I think they have only one type of soup so you will also get seafood taste soup with the beef tendons which you find strange so dry noodles for you would be better for beef tendons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did not mention anything about peanut taste. I'm afraid I don't like the beef noodles here, even the tendon was not agreeable to me :(

      Delete
  4. You went back to eat with your dahling! The soup must be sweeter with him around.
    It took me a while to get used to their weird menu and cooking style. That's the typical Guangzhou cooking style in Mak Chee's. It is time for my visit again since they don't have mile long queues now.

    Oh well, most of the food in China is a bit weird or lousy as they don't cook so tasty like Hong Kong or Taiwanese style. Even their own folks complained that their KFC & McD are horrible compared to overseas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the taste is very different but I find it acceptable except for the beef noodles. I think generally, we prefer our own local taste and style. Annie-1 wanton mee is still the best hee..hee...

      Delete
  5. I love beef with wanton noodles. I can finish off all the deep fried dumplings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the fried dumplings. Next time must order the big portion LOL!

      Delete
  6. I think the proper wanton noodles is abit 'hard' as in very springy and firm. When I was in HK eating the wanton noodles, I need to chew many times before swallowing it, otherwise will get choked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes, the ones here are "harder" than what we are used to.

      Delete
  7. What a coincidence...I also have a beefy post today. And what a difference too...their beef brisket noodles from our local version here. Theirs look almost like super tender beef ribs (without the bone). I think I'll enjoy that...but no beef tendons for me! ;) Oh, I like Mak's Chee too...and I don't mind the texture of the noodles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I read your post yesterday but did not have enough time to comment. I don't know if you will like the beef noodles here as the flavors are different from the usual ones that we are used to. The soup version is strange to me as it is seafood based, so there is a clash in flavors. So no more beef noodles for me here but I will return for the wanton/dumplings which I enjoy.

      Delete
  8. I like this type of springy wanton noodles too.. and that is a very big portion of noodles there!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ordered the L size LOL! Very filling.

      Delete
  9. I've dined in once when they 1st open in 1U and found the portion was a bit too small for me. But your photo showed, the portion like getting bigger, or the photo was deceiving? =.="

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you order the L portion? I always order L and that's what you saw in the photo.

      Delete