Monday 8 April 2019

Great Delight Private Kitchen@Damansara Kim (CLOSED)


One day, my partner told me that Taipei Taipei@Damansara Kim has closed down and in its place there is a new Chinese Restaurant. He told me that we should visit to check them out.

Next door to Table & Apron
So one Saturday evening we dropped by for dinner at Great Delight Private Kitchen. The name is quiet a mouthful and I kept forgetting it, hence this snapshot of the sign. 


The interior screams "Chinese restaurant!!!" and this is the sort of place that suits my partner very well. I noted that the tables are mostly set for big groups and we were seated at a table set for four. There is more seating upstairs and as the evening progressed, more and more diners arrived and soon it was full house downstairs.

Browsing through the menu, there is a selection of pork, chicken, seafood, tofu, vegetables, noodles and fried rice. There is also a separate menu for wine. 

I saw some familiar dishes but I did not want to order those. Instead I wanted something new.

As usual, I was tasked with the ordering and these were my choices, though I may not remember the exact name of the dishes.


Pork Belly with Bentong Ginger. It was the Bentong ginger that made me choose this dish because I have never had Bentong ginger and I was curious.

I know that Bentong ginger is more expensive than regular ginger and from what I read, it has a higher level of spiciness. But when I ate this dish, I did not detect any remarkable strong ginger flavor even when I ate the ginger slices on their own. But still, this was a good dish and reminded me of Kris' Stir Fry Pork with Ginger and Scallions hee...hee...


Fried Chicken with Special Sauce. Well, it turned out that this is not fried chicken as I expected. But still, I enjoyed this dish and so did my partner. The sauce is thick with a punchy flavor and I detected the fragrance of bunga kantan (torch ginger flower).


This is a familiar soup with spinach and century egg. I ordered this because my partner was keen on it. We were wondering what those white things on the soup were and upon tasting, they turned out to be salted egg white. I suppose that is how they use up the whites when they use the yolks for those salted egg yolk dishes.

The soup base was light and did not have the stronger flavors  that I am more used to. 


Another vegetable dish is the Four Seasons. I have had this many times before elsewhere, just that I did not know that it was Four Seasons hah...hah... Or else I would have ordered something else. It was nice and crunchy.

When we ordered 4 dishes, the lady boss told us that 3 dishes would be enough. My partner asked her if the portion sizes were big and she said yes. But we were like, neh..... and sort of pooh poohed (in our heads of course) what she said. We assured her that we were good and could manage 4 dishes.


When the dishes were brought to the table, we realised that the lady boss was right when she said the portions sizes are big. But still ..........


heh...heh....heh..... If there was an extra bowl of rice, I would have tipped the rice into the leftover sauce of the Fried Chicken in Special Sauce and wiped that plate clean. Don't play play with this auntie.

My partner was all praises for the dishes and he was happy with this dinner. I guess we will revisit to try more dishes from the menu.

28 comments:

  1. That special sauce for the chicken looks like kimchi sauce but since you said it taste like bunga kantan, I guess it is not kimchi sauce. wow you both are big eaters. The lady boss sure drop her eyes to see all dishes wipe clean, hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahhhh! What a spread for two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More like for three people hee..hee..

      Delete
  3. Nice spreaf of food for two. Can finish all?? Guess you both would be visiting this place again. Your man must love his rice very much. Lol. Very Chinese man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the dishes suit me well too! My M’sian neighbour just bought these ginger for me but I’ve yet to use. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love torch ginger as it is so aromatic and appetizing.

      Delete
  5. I guess the cuisine is more or less like Chinese, not much different. I love those blue plates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very Chinese and suits my China man LOL!

      Delete
  6. Yes, Bentong ginger is supposed to have a higher heat level. I can see why you didn't taste the difference with normal ginger...coz I couldn't see a single slice of ginger on the plate (all I saw were onions and scallions). Aiyor, paiseh-lah to compare my stir-fry pork with this restaurant-quality dish! ;) So I see it's not uncommon to use pork for this dish. You can certainly buy Bentong ginger and cook this with pork belly (since you like fatty meat) at home for your man.

    As for the chicken dish, I thought it was sambal sotong from the first photo. This place seems to like to add a lot of onions to their dishes. I've eaten the spinach dish with both salted egg white and yolk in the mix together with the century egg, of course. Ai, I also didn't know this dish is called Four Seasons. My understanding of Four Seasons (sei tai tin wong) is a mixture of lady's fingers, eggplant, long beans and petai cooked in sambal belacan.

    Wah, 4 dishes for the 2 of you! :O Yesterday, I had a Chinese meal...3 dishes for the 3 of us (all small). I reckon you'll be coming back since your partner was all praises for the food here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was very scant ginger in that dish. Haiya..must buy my own Bentong ginger and follow your recipe.

      I also thought the four seasons was that dish you mentioned hah..hah...

      We can eat a lot!

      Delete
  7. OMG! That Taipei-Taipei has closed now. I went there once after you have posted it. Times are bad or the feng shui along that stretch is weak.

    I must go and try this 'mouthful' named restaurant since you both give thumbs up! The empty plates really raised my 2 eyebrows!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the food must be so delicious till every dish/rice/soup finished. I wanna tapau the leftover sauce and some white rice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you and your partner are really big eaters but this goes to show both of you enjoyed your meal, the chicken looks good with its special sauce, yums!

    ReplyDelete
  10. my favourite preparation for bentong ginger is bentong ginger hot tea - i guess that's how to taste its full flavour! :) the food here looks quite satisfying as you said - maybe you'll bump into me here one evening! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love varieties too but I certainly need more than 2 to finish those! Good that none goes to waste! :p

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like that lotus root stir fried, some places replace the cashew nuts with macadamia nuts, but of course with higher price :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, I have also had the one with macadamia nuts.

      Delete
  13. My eyes were immediately drawn to that lotus root. I love the texture when it's cooked just right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too, it has a nice crunch.

      Delete
  14. Hheheehe.... kalau i dengan husband pun selalu mcm tu, even dish utk 4 orang, kami boleh je settle hahahha sikit punya hal!!!

    Nampak betul betul sedap tu....tapau lah balance source tu balik masuk sootong hihi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hainom, LL tak terfikir pulak nak tapau sos tu hah...hah... Lain kali nak bawak bekas hee..hee...

      Delete