Wednesday 3 April 2019

Two Day Birthday Celebration at Marco@1 Utama


Now who's birthday is that? Why so grand? Celebrate until two days? Agong also never do like that wahahaha!!!

Well, it was my brother's birthday and we had a pre-birthday and birthday-proper celebration. It so happened that my partner was away and at times like this, I can always rely on my brother to give me a ride. And when that happens, ah! we get to have dinner together :)

It was my brother who suggested Marco@1 Utama. We used to walk past this place (when it only served desserts, if I am not wrong) and somehow we were never compelled to walk in.

Actually, I wanted to go to KGB@TTDI the day before his birthday and then visit Marco the following evening. But when we got to KGB, the place was not opened yet for dinner. We had a good half hour till opening (6:00pm) and decided to just head over to Marco.


I had already checked the menu and had some idea what  I wanted to eat. There is quite a good selection of pastas, proteins, burgers and beautiful looking desserts. After a quick browse of the menu we ordered a starter for sharing, a pasta each and yes, we had desserts.


Our starter was the Truffle Fries (RM18.00) which are thick cut fries seasoned with truffle oil, parmesan cheese and parsley. We loved the fries which were crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.


My brother loves to dip his fries in tomato ketchup and I followed suit, though chili sauce is more my thing.

For mains, we both could not resist the pastas.


Carbonara (RM31.00) for my brother and ....


... Spicy Seafood Aglio (RM31.00) for me.


My brother's Carbonara had generous servings of bacon and he enjoyed the very flavorful pasta. I also enjoyed my Spicy Seafood Aglio as it was very garlicky and spicy hot from the chili flakes. I'll have to say that the serving size is up to mark and get's the thumbs up from both of us.

For desserts, we shared two between us.


The Chocolate Fondant (RM15.00) was very chocolaty with a soft center.


But no, there was no chocolate lava oozing out. Nevertheless, that did not spoil our enjoyment. 


Our next dessert was the Creme Brulee (RM15.00). My brother remarked that he prefers the one we had at Simply Ribs and I'm with him on that.

While enjoying our meal, we were discussing where to go the next evening. After much deliberation and since were on a roll, we decided to come back to Marco hee..hee...


And there we were again on my brother's birthday. This time we had burgers to satisfy our (or rather my) craving after missing out on KGB the day before.

My brother had the The Spanish (pork patty, RM36.00) because he was attracted to the Jamon Serano.


I had the Bistro Burger (beef patty, RM36.00) which I quite enjoyed. 


I usually don't take coffee in the evenings (unless if I want to stay awake) but it being a Friday, I relaxed my rule. And oh my, the coffee was excellent!

As for the burgers, thumbs up! My brother and I think the burgers are better than the ones at Chillis.


Of course we had to have desserts especially when it was a birthday celebration.

This time we selected the Bruleed Cheese Cake (RM15.00) which is cheesecake with a thin layer of bruleed brown sugar, lemon curd and meringue kisses.


Though we found the cheesecake ordinary, we quite enjoyed the lemon curd and crunchy meringue.

Our next dessert was the Strawberry Pancake (RM19.00) which is a fluffy thick pancake with house made strawberry ice cream, cream cheese and berries compote.


The pancake was more like a mini chiffon cake rather than the regular type of pancake. I was not there to critique the pancake and I'll just say that we polished everything off hee..hee..

Well, that was an enjoyable two days of dinner at Marco and we are glad that we finally made it there. It looks like I might even drag my partner there on our Friday dinners dates hee..hee...

27 comments:

  1. Wow, both of you must have made Executive Chef Daren Leong very happy that he sold off Franco and opened Marco. I also always walk past Marco although I have eaten at Franco (same location in One Utama) but never stepped in because of it just used to serve "fine dining" set lunch. Wasn't aware that Marco just served desserts at one time. Now thanks to your review, I will ask my spouse if he is interested to try "The Spanish" burger. Well, happy belated birthday to your brother! I am sure he had a great birthday with two celebrations with his beloved sister. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I wanted to try "fine dining" (I remember they used to have affordable fine dining) but it's not really my thing to eat small exquisite portions hah..hah... Yes, take your spouse there. The food is very good.

      Delete
  2. My wife and I visited this Marco when it was newly opened. Their menu was very expensive with limited choices with super slow services too. Probably they had teething problems back then and I plan to visit again after seeing what you had eaten. It is a complete different menu now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a good experience and I am sure you and your wife will have a pleasant experience too. The food is very good, though desserts did not meet with expectations.

      Delete
  3. The last time I was here, they serve multi-course meals (I do remember enjoying the desserts). I see the menu has been revamped. I think it makes sense to change the concept as people will get bored with the same preset menu. I've never been to a place two days in a row, so this place must have impressed the both of you a lot. Maybe I should revisit? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you had a fine dining experience there and I revisited your post hee..hee.. Yes, do revisit. I trust that you would enjoy the food!

      Delete
  4. I love the presentations for the desserts.. I think when they first opened, they were trying to do more "fine dining" type food.

    Happy birthday to your brother! (and it's definitely okay to celebrate his birthday more than once). ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the desserts are very pretty. Thanks for your wishes :)

      Delete
  5. Give me the aglio - we had an extra creamy and rich carbonara (in my blog today) that probably put my girl off that for a long long while.

    No chocolate lava? Aiyor!!! Fail liao lor! I would be so disappointed! Creme brulee not as good? Guess this is not the place to go for those desserts then. I've got my eyes on those red slices of bacon in the burgers. Slurpsssss!!!

    Belated birthday greetings to your brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The aglio was excellent! Yes, read your post about the extra creamy carbonara hee..hee...

      Thanks for your wishes :)

      Delete
  6. can have 1 more bdy... follow lunar calendar

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had their multiple course menu during my last visit and I always stop by to watch the jellyfishes aquarium (is it still there?)
    Your Carbonara looked promising, since been a while since my last had a good carbonara~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jelly fish aquarium is still there. Very nice to look at. The carbonara was very good, lots of bacon in it.

      Delete
  9. I like thick cut fries like that and i am interested in the lemon curd, good that you are so close to your brother that you can be great meal kaki.

    Happy belated birthday to your brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fries were very good.

      Thanks for your wishes :)

      Delete
  10. Nice treat for the birthday man. So lucky of him to have you. I love everything so give them to me!Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Their desserts selections are more interesting to me LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely desserts and the plating is so classy. Boleh cuba!

      Delete
  12. happy belated birthday to your bro - so nice that you managed to enjoy the celebration meals - heheh, next year, your brother should 'declare' a public holiday on his birthday for you and himself, so both of you can spend the entire day on a feasting spree from morning to night! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Well, that sounds like a very good idea. Perhaps I should set a precedence when my birthday comes hee..hee...

      Delete
  13. Happy birthday to your brother. Everything looks good. I like your Spicy Seafood Aglio. The desserts looks delicious. Long time haven't eaten burgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I want to eat the spicy seafood aglio olio again hee..hee...

      Delete
  14. Senang sikit partner not around boleh chill dengan adik hihi....
    Menariklah dessert dia LL....cantik plating...
    Kalau puas hati dengan rasa dia, apalah sangat dengan harga kan LL....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL suka tempat ni, makanan sedap tapi harga up sikit. Sekali sekala ok lah...

      Delete