Thursday 11 April 2019

Early Dinner


After my first visit to Empire Sushi @The Starling, I have been back on two occasions. Both times were for an early dinner. These days I eat my dinner early

I like Empire Sushi because I find the food acceptable and I like ordering using a tablet. Tekan-tekan, enter and the food comes via a mini train hee..hee... The only problem is that the song that plays when the train is approaching nee..naa...naa.. nee...naa...naa... gets into my head and even when I reach home I hear this song! Arrgh!!!

Because they open all day it is very convenient for me to walk in at anytime of day when I need a Japanese fix. Another plus point is they accept credit cards. These days I seldom go to "cash only" places. I like to conserve cash and not have to top up my purse every now and then.

One day, for reasons unknown, I wanted Japanese curry. I am OK with Japanese curry, not crazy about it since it ain't nowhere near awesome like Indian curry.


It was one of the set meals and I chose the one with chicken karaage.


The chicken was not crispy and tasted nothing like the usual Japanese fried chicken that I like. The curry was too strong with the curry powder and it was overwhelming. 


I was a bit greedy and got a side dish of salmon mentai. I'm afraid it was not good. Very dry.

Another day, I decided to try the soft shell crab salad.


The dressing was a roasted sesame dressing. Not bad.


Just salad was not enough so I had two other dishes.


The unagi kabayaki was very nice. 


While the salmon temaki was nothing special. I'm sorry I can't remember the prices but as you know, Japanese ain't cheap. So I shall not come back so often.

20 comments:

  1. ok, so maybe I won't eat here after all since the food is not fantastic. will just stick to sushi zanmai since I don't like sauce like mayo and mentai mayo. Thanks for sharing your review with us here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking of revisiting Sushi Zanmai.

      Delete
  2. Unagi, my girl's favourite! She loves the salmon too and the soft shell crab but the latter at the franchise place we frequent isn't anything to shout about - for reasons unknown, we could not get the crab taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like I love the same things she does!

      Delete
  3. ahhhh, i want the unagi too ;) i'm kinda the opposite of you nowadays; i tend to use cash as much as possible at restaurants, and only use credit cards for online purchases. it helps me control my expenses better when i'm limited to the cash i'm carrying :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are actually right. With credit cards, we tend to get carried away and overspend!

      Delete
  4. I like unagi too. I'm curious to see the train that serve the food...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite cute especially with the cheesy song it plays LOL!

      Delete
  5. Contrary to the majority, i am not used to the taste of unagi, i don't have a credit card so i can only use cash or electronic payment hee hee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cash is good because we will be more conscious about how much we spend.

      Delete
  6. Gosh, the sight of mentaiko makes me drool! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately this one was not good :(

      Delete
  7. Agree with you. I prefer Indian or Malay curry more than Japanese curry. Tasted once and I never order it. It didn't wowed me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The soft shell crab is calling my name LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seem like the train song really "haunted" you eh, means they use the correct song, LOL
    That fried chicken looks good but too bad the flavour and texture missed the mark.
    Yeah, I love Unagi Kabayaki too, but it is very expensive >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! One serving of a whole unagi kabayaki at Fujisawa is almost RM50. Pengsan.

      Delete
  10. I am eyeing the soft shell crab salad.

    ReplyDelete