Thursday 18 April 2019

Pad Kra Pow POW!


This dish was unplanned. On Friday, while picking up some groceries, I spotted Thai Basil. Hah! I want that! Not for cooking but for planting. 

That's what I do. I sometimes buy herbs like mint or daun kesum to plant and not to cook. So on Sunday, I removed the leaves from the Thai Basil before sticking the cuttings into pots and on the ground. I spread them out like that to increase chances of success.

Since I had these basil leaves and I had already defrosted a packet of minced pork (originally meant for baked meatballs), it made sense to cook Thai Basil Pork (Pad Kra Pow).


I did not intend to blog about it because I have already posted some sort of Thai Basil Pork recipe in the past.  But the dish turned out quite good looking in the wok (to my eyes lah) that I did not want to waste an opportunity for a food post heh..heh... Besides, it tasted very good, very powerful flavors especially the aroma from the basil.


So that's how it ended up being plated, photographed and posted. 

Thai Basil Pork
Recipe source : Phong Hong

Ingredients :
- 350g minced pork (or can use chicken or beef)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- a generous handful of Thai Basil
- one small carrot, diced (optional)

Seasoning (mix together)
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp thick soya sauce
- 1/2 tsp pepper

Thickener (mix together)
- 1 tsp tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp water

Method :
1.Heat oil in wok and saute garlic until aromatic.
2. Add pork and stir fry until it changes color.
3. Add diced carrots (if using) and some water and simmer until meat is cooked and carrots are tender.
4. Add seasoning and stir to mix.
5. Add thickener and continue to stir until mixture is thick.
6. Add basil and stir to mix.
7. Serve with rice.

30 comments:

  1. Boy, this looks delicious and sounds so flavorful! Plus it looks pretty easy (my goal with most dinners, LOL!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one of the easiest meals to whip up!

      Delete
  2. This is one of my favourite Thai dishes! Yummy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. If this is that stinky Thai herb that I hate to eat, then no thanks....but it does look really wonderful (loads better than the previous one you posted...hehe!). So it should be plated, photographed and posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, yes, it's the stinky herb that you dislike. But you can omit the herb and replace with spring onions and it will still taste good.

      Delete
  4. Sawasdee Krap! Well done, aroi dee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wah! This looks very delicious and making me very hungry now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee... very nice eaten with rice!

      Delete
  6. I love to eat this herb so I love to eat your delicious dish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thai basil pork rice is my friend's favourite. Long time i hv not eaten that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it with lots of rice hee..hee..

      Delete
  8. I give up on mints and basil. Mine died on me. Lol.

    But it is always good to plant some herbs in case you need them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one I planted seems OK. Hope they survive and not attacked by snails.

      Delete
  9. I love basil! I put lots of them in my dish, minced pork, cilipadi... My friends gave me basil to plant, a couple of times already... they are easily grown, so even if they withered, I could get them again and again.. LOL..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice with chicken too and kerabu hee..hee..

      Delete
  10. Fuiyo!

    I love the beef version. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to fry the extra basil and use it as garnish. It tastes different and makes the dish looks sophisticated :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We love this! My missus cooks it sometimes - lots and lots of Thai basil in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I once bought basil plant to plant but ended up couldn't survive ~>_<~

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of our favorite easy meals.... good luck with the Thai basil plants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They appear to be growing nicely :)

      Delete
  15. That looks scrumptious. I've just had lunch but I reckon I could eat that whole bowl even on a full tummy.

    ReplyDelete