Monday 15 April 2019

Kimuchi


I saw kimuchi on the menu at Fujisawa@A Foodie's Nest The Starling and I was wondering what is Kimuchi? It sounded like kimchi, so is it kimchi?

Upon googling, I found out that kimuchi is Japanese kimchi. I am not much of a kimchi fan but I was curious.


So I started with a Japanese Kimuchi Bento. The only suitable one for me is the Tori Kimuchi Bento because the other two has got cheese in it.


I did not know what to expect and it turned out to be soup (not apparent in the photo on the menu). 


I took a sip and mmmm! It was so very nice. Very tasty. It did not taste like kimchi at all.


There were lots of mushrooms and vegetables with pieces of chicken. The only thing that I disliked was the cheese tofu. It was hard and stinky. Why anyone would put cheese in tofu is beyond me. I spat it out and put it aside.


Like all the bentos here, it comes with a takoyaki.


I don't like the takoyaki, so I  put it aside.


Since I liked the kimuchi, I decided to have the Salmon Kama Kimuchi on my next visit.


Whoa! Salmon head in a pot of boiling soup.


There is a flame under the pot and it is quite scary when carrying the tray, in case the pot tipped over.


The soup was very flavorful. It is quite difficult to tackle the salmon head. Next time I will ask for a plate.


On another visit I had the Tori Chicken Kimuchi.


There were loads of chicken, soft tofu and vegetables in there. Very generous serving.


I removed the cheese tofu. It's awful to me.


There is also an egg in the kimuchi and due to the flame, the egg became seriously overcooked.


After having sampled a few things on the menu, my favorites would be the Saba Shioyaki Bento and the Tori Chicken Kimuchi. Don't bother ordering the California Maki or anything like it as these are prepared in advance (and packed in plastic containers) and do not taste good.

26 comments:

  1. I wanna pengsan when I see that they serve you soup in one of the small compartment in the bento plastic box. how to drink soup like that???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... When I was studying at a residential school, our meals were served in trays like that and that's how they served soup! So I did not pengsan. LOL!

      Delete
  2. Wow. That salmon head in the bowl. I dont think I dare to tackle the head. Lol.

    I leatn what kimuchi is today, thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have come to appreciate fish head. There is actually quite a lot of meat in there.

      Delete
  3. Good grief! I would be quite put off by the head. Wouldn't mind if it is drowned in the broth, not so obvious. The soup looks like kimchi so that's not for me either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was like that for dramatic effect LOL! I admit that it looks rather scary.

      Delete
  4. I wonder if I would like kimuchi (like you) since I also dislike kimchi. But since it has cheese tofu in it, maybe not as I'm afraid that the cheese will get into the taste of the soup. When there are dishes on the menu with cheese in it, I too would go through the simple elimination process like you. I certainly don't mind tackling the salmon head...but only if it's salt or teriyaki grilled. But I would think it works great in a curry as there are now Indian restaurants that offer curry fish head with salmon head! ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kimuchi tastes very different from the usual Korean kimchi. I was quite surprised that I liked the soup. No, there was no cheese taste in the soup at all. Oh yes, salmon head is pretty good in curries. My auntie once cooked asam fish using salmon head and it was a resounding success!

      Delete
  5. My hubby will love this but I’m not a fan of fish.... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I know what is kimuchi. Not a fan of kimchi. Why do they have to serve the head that way? Looks scary la.. ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, looks scary as the salmon has a very sinister look LOL!

      Delete
  7. The Japanese cooking has become fusion nowadays. They would add kimchi inside and label it as theirs. That is the similar case of Korean kimbap being made popular by Japanese and renamed it as sushi. It was all written in the 5000 years of the Korean-China history of kimbap while sushi only appeared in Japan late in 18th 0r 19th century.

    I will visit this outlet soon and try the Saba Shioyaki Bento and the Tori Chicken Kimuchi! I am a fan of Japanese food for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I see! So the Japanese cetak rompak lah LOL! Yes, go and try. The bento here is very decent.

      Delete
  8. I just had japanese food last night too. Thanks for sharing about kimuchi, i like kimchi so i think i will like kimuchi, but not the fish head please lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Some people are put off by fish head.

      Delete
  9. It seems that you are in love with kimuchi hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  10. the salmon head pot is so striking, it doesn't look like something we'd expect at a mall food court! :) i'm trying to visualise whether you spat out the tofu gently and quietly or loudly and with much force :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very dramatic, eh? Oh good grief, not loudly with force for sure. I did it in a very ladylike manner LOL!

      Delete
  11. Wow, that first photo is an eye-catcher.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what have you done with this scary head???

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ei, I like cheese tofu and actually I like everything with cheese, haha!

    ReplyDelete