Tuesday 10 January 2023

Chinese New Year Snacks At Aeon

Nowadays when I go grocery shopping, I go to only one section - the meat section. And that's it. Simple simple. 

Of course from time to time, I will go look for seasonings or cleaning products or butter/cheese. My partner will go look for stuff that he eats - fruits, vegetables and rice/noodles (when the stock runs low).

So I had a lot of time to berkepoh-kepoh. Since Chinese New Year is coming very very soon, there were loads and loads of goodies and snacky stuff at the supermarket.


This was the calm before the storm, the crowd was starting to come in from the main entrance.


Ah! I spotted these Kjeldsens Butter Cookies which brought back childhood memories. I didn't really fancy these cookies but I would eat the ones that had sugar sprinkles and the ones shaped like a pretzel.


I thought these smaller tins of cookies are so cute. I have seen these at Jaya Grocer. At one time I was tempted to buy.


These are modern love letters with vanilla and chocolate flavors. The love letters (kuih kapit) from my childhood were packed in recycled Milo tins. 


I used to eat a lot of Pringles potato chips. I can eat one whole canister in one sitting until the tips of my fingers throbbed (due to the high sodium).

My favorite was the Sour Cream and Onions flavors. The last time I ate these some years ago I found that the taste is not the same. So I did not like it. Either that or I lost the taste for it.


Yikes! Oreos! I was addicted to these during the lockdown and I ate so many packets (and hence put on a lot of weight).


Now on to these very familiar plastic jars of snacks. 


Ngaku chips! woohoo!! But none for me as I choose not to indulge in these. 


One piece will lead me to eating the whole container. But now, I have no cravings for such snacks.


I remember at my mum's house there will be these type of snacks in the cupboard. In the evening, we take out a few and go on a snacking frenzy with a few cans of beer hah...hah...hah...


We are so spoilt for choice!


More chips and love letters.


There you go, the price list.


I know you guys will be eating these snacks during the CNY period and in fact some of you have already had a head start hah...hah...hah... Enjoy yourself lah. Once a year to celebrate and enjoy all the snacky goodies.
  

Then something caught my eye.


Some pretty cookies packed in fancy boxes.


The packaging is so nice and reminds me of mooncakes.


I wonder how these taste like. 


The sales lady caught up with me and told me that if I buy 10 boxes, I get one free. So I told her I will have to check with my husband first hah...hah... hah... 


They don't come cheap. So must get permission from the ketua pengarah who will pengsan when he sees the price tag. Dukacita permohonan ditolak!


And of course, the next hot item is mandarin oranges, boxes and boxes of them. 

14 comments:

  1. I bought 1 box of mandarin orange and now I think only left 80% as some were eaten, some were spoiled.

    So many snacks, but not all is nice or fit our taste buds. I like those Danish butter cookies. I least take those with sugar. Lol. I usually grab the original round or rectangular shaped cookies first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, every time sure got at least one orange spoiled.

      Delete
  2. I was delighted when I got a tin of Kjeldsens Butter Cookies from my in-laws for my birthday that day but I was so disappointed when I opened it. The cookies are smaller and thinner, a pale shadow of what they used to be and the taste is a far cry from what it was like before, so very nice with the rich buttery fragrance. They are SO expensive these days and yes, they are shortchanging buyers, it seems! I will not buy any ever again from now on, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? I have not eaten those for years. It is true that quality of most things have dropped compared to the time when we were growing up.

      Delete
  3. Wah, my eyes nearly fall out looking at all these CNY goodies! All also I wanna eat, a bit of this and a bit of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like those savory snacks such as seaweed, arrow root chips, keropok etc.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those CNY cookies and chips are so expensive now, but I'm not really into them and I just stick on the regular snacks that I always buy like potato chips (but I don't like Pringles :P).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just as well you are not into those snacks. Save money!

      Delete
  6. It's very surprising to find that you've no craving for these snacks anymore...since you ate a lot of them in the past (a lot as in variety as well as quantity in one sitting...lol). Even when I try to refrain from eating sweet stuff, I'd see a kuih or a bun/pastry and I just need to have it. Maybe it's more of your total commitment (and principle to stick to your diet that you choose not to have it...and not because you don't crave it. ^_~

    As for mass-produced CNY snacks from supermarket, they don't attract me and I'm never tempted to buy (because of the taste) preferring to buy home-made, small-scale businesses that taste a lot better. As for those fancy stuff that cost 3 digits, those are not meant for us (we can't afford those price tags, even as a gift I think I can buy more worthwhile stuff with the RM150 than cookies!). We're not their target customers, they're probably meant for corporate giveaways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is real that I don't crave it. There is no commitment, self control or discipline being exercised here. It just is. Strange huh? Many people who have adopted the carnivore diet experience the same thing. Cravings simply go away.

      Oh ya, the home made ones are definitely better tasting. True true, those pricey gift boxes are meant for companies with deep pockets who want to impress their atas clients.

      Delete
  7. These Kjeldsens Butter Cookies, dip in teh O pun syok oooo.

    ReplyDelete