Monday 12 December 2022

Air Fryer Butter Chicken

The butter is in reference to butter being used as the fat of choice instead of olive oil that I usually used in the past. So this is not the Indian Butter Chicken you might be thinking of.

Chicken is now at the bottom of my list of preferred protein because somehow it does not taste as good as beef or lamb (to me). It used to be my favorite protein.


But I am starting to enjoy chicken again. Last Sunday I bought another packet of Aqina Pineapple Chicken, this time, drumsticks.


For the marinade, you can use whatever seasonings that you like. It could be as simple as just salt and pepper. One of my favorite seasonings is light soy sauce. Some people in the carnivore space avoid soy sauce because it purportedly causes inflammation.

But I think different people react differently to soy sauce (or soy products). Asians in particular (I think) are adapted to soy sauce, I mean we have been taking this seasoning for centuries. The caucasians however do not have a long history with soy sauce in their diet so they may not react that well to it.

So I shall continue to enjoy light soy sauce. I marinated the chicken drumsticks with 2 tbsp of light soy sauce and a few dashes of Montreal Chicken Seasoning.


Before cooking, I melted two tablespoons of butter and made sure to coat the drumsticks with the butter.


Choi Yen left a comment on my earlier post that she sets her air fryer at 180C first to cook and then increase the temperature to 200C to brown the chicken. So I decided to do the same.

So I roasted the chicken for an initial 6 minutes at 180C.


Then I flipped the drumsticks and cooked for another 6 minutes at 180C.

After that I flipped the drumsticks again and increased the temperature to 200C for 1 minute. But it wasn't browned through so I flipped again and continued for another 2 minutes.


I was happy with the results.


The color does not look good in the photo because the lighting in my kitchen is poor.

But look at this when the photo was shot (using DSLR) in natural light.


The drumsticks were nicely browned.


The meat was moist and tender. This Aqina Pineapple Chicken is pretty good I would say, much better quality (obviously) than the regular packet of chicken at the supermarket. 


I had the drumsticks in combination with some other meat and eggs. So good!


By the way, this recipe is adapted from Coach Emily's (of The Steak & Butter Gang) High Fat Carnivore e-cookbook. I just need to give credit where credit is due.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! To your platter of chicken, beef and eggs. Putting butter will make the chicken taste very heong, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butter + soy sauce gives off a really nice flavor and aroma. Yes, very heong!

      Delete
  2. Done to perfection. Beautiful. Yeah, Indian butter chicken curry would be different from say...Payung's butter chicken here. Theirs is also not the same as yours. I guess the only thing in common is butter is a main ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I understand that there are a few versions of butter chicken.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful air fried chicken drumsticks. Looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, previously you air-fried at 200 for 15 mins total and today's one is at 180 for 12 mins and a further 3 mins at 200 for a total time of 15 mins also. So, what's the difference? For better, more even browning? I'd rather just put it in at one temperature and safe the hassle of changing the temperature (I do that when I roast chicken in the oven at 200...can't be bothered to change)...lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using the lower temperature initially ensures that the chicken is evenly cooked through. Sometimes with higher temperature what happens is that the outside gets very browned quickly but the inside is still raw. From my observation, if the chicken is at room temperature, it is fine to cook it at 200C - the inside is cooked through and the outside is browned nicely. Like you, I would prefer to just cook it at one temperature, less hassle LOL!

      Delete
  5. Glad to know you tried my method, the chicken drumsticks certainly looks inviting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your method is better if the chicken is still cold and not at room temperature.

      Delete