Friday 16 December 2022

My Food

It has been 7 months now that I am on the carnivore diet. Well, I am not 100% pure carnivore as you may notice because I do eat non-carnivore foods from time to time.

I also add non-carnivore ingredients (like soy sauce, onions, spices etc) to my food. One more thing, I still drink coffee, and I do not foresee myself giving up coffee. That is my personal choice.


When I first started this way of eating on 01-05-2022, I ate quite a lot of steaks - ribeye and sirloin steaks which are quite pricey. Quite honestly, I was not really sure if I would stay carnivore (initially I thought I would try 30 days out of curiosity and just for fun) but the positive effects made me continue with the carnivore journey.

Since this will be a long term (lifetime) practice, I cannot be eating steaks everyday. These days, I consume fatty beef trimmings. 


I know. Some people (and doctors) will faint at the sight of that. I am not afraid of animal (saturated) fats and I am not afraid of cholesterol. I have since learnt that fats (and even cholesterol) are essential for our survival and well being.


I air fry the beef trimmings and yes, I season the trimmings with those bottled mixed spices. As a Malaysian it is very hard to forgo spices, betul tak?


I also eat loads of eggs. Sometimes I eat three a day or sometimes I go up to six a day. It depends on my mood, if I want eggs, I eat eggs.


And I also eat processed meats from time to time. I know I know, processed meats are not ideal because they contain a lot of salt, starches, flavorings and a whole lot of chemicals (preservatives, coloring etc).


Hah..hah...hah... luncheon meat! My childhood favorite and I still love it.


I admit that my food does get boring. There are times that I feel jelak with meat, fats and eggs. That's when I switch to seafood like salmon and prawns. But that does not happen very often.

When I need variety, I just make a plate of different meats. I also change up the way I prepare eggs - sunny side up, scrambled, omelette or hard boiled/soft boiled. 


That only happens weekends/public holidays when I have more time to spare in the kitchen.


If you are wondering if I would eat vegetables ever again, yes, sure. I will bring back colorful vegetables into my diet again. The reason I am abstaining from vegetables for now is simply for convenience and also just in keeping with the spirit of carnivore.

I will eventually switch to keto-vore - where my diet will comprise meat, fats and vegetables with the occasional (minimal amount of) carbohydrates.


I avoid fried chicken these days and quite honestly have not had a fried chicken craving so far. Roasted or grilled chicken is my preferred choice and the air fryer comes in so very handy when preparing smaller portions. 


So far so good on this diet. I have lost 14lbs in excess body fat and gained muscles and strength. My energy level is also very good, no more feeling sleepy in the afternoons (at work) and my brain is very clear and sharp. I have also overcome depression and anxiety.

Mood wise I am very calm and I am not as easily upset as I used to be (unless if things get really bad). I once lost my temper with a client's staff over the phone because she kept arguing and repeating herself over and over again.

I am the sort of person who does not like to listen to people regurgitating what they have already told me. Once or twice is enough. If you repeat it the third time, I tend to snap.

So I shouted at her and told her to shut up and stop repeating herself. Then I hung up. Of course I felt bad and I apologized to her.

Carbohydrates of any kind is sugar. I found this video very interesting and I am sharing it with anyone who is interested.

17 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing about your experience. It is very insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo! Bravo! Lovely looking eggs with the yolks still moist! Your drumsticks look like to die for too! Nice golden colour. Oooo...temper, temper!!! Not menopause, I'm sure!!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hee..hee... Menopause happened 11 years ago, so that can't be it. LOL!

      Delete
  3. Enjoy your life that matter. Do not have to stick to any rule, you make your own rule, and you execute them as your please as long as it does not disturb anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha ha...if I were to handle the fat beef trimmings, I will trim off all the fats and don't know how much beef will be left behind. I am also trying to cut down on carbohydrates but I will need them for breakfast in the form of noodles. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Not worth it for you to buy beef trimmings then.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad that the diet has worked wonders for you. First and foremost, the diet suited you (and your taste buds) very well since we know you're a lover of meat (especially fatty meat) and eggs to begin with...and we know how much you love your bacon and luncheon meat too....lol! For one who eats very little meat (like me), a carnivore diet would be hell! It's much easier to adhere to a diet if it involves food that you love to eat. Plus, we also know that reducing weight has been a lifelong practice of yours (through the many diets you shared with us on your blog though with not much success). There was no doubt whatsoever that the carnivore diet would finally achieve that goal for you as we all know carbs & sugar is what makes us fat (as simple carbs turn into sugar in our bodies, that's why diabetics are advised to adhere to a no sugar, low-carb diet...which many of us are trying to do as well).

    I'm also happy to hear that you'd eventually switch to being a keto-vore...and introduce vegetables back into your diet. You can always choose vegetables with a low glycemic index. As with any diet, there are side effects (pros and cons)....and we must be willing to accept the bad with the good with whatever our choices. I hope I'm not regurgitating.....don't snap at me, please...lol! ^_~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your comment! Thank you for being so supportive. It is true that I am a meat lover at heart and this diet suits me well, though I will admit that I do miss the variety that carbs and veggies provide. My mum is like you, loves her veggies (and yes, carbs too) and eats minimal meats. In fact she told me carnivore is scary but she has been very supportive of my choice. I also agree that carnivore is not for everyone, Some people don't do well on it and must have some carbs. I reckon even if I stayed at 80-90% carnivore, I can still derive the benefits since health wise I do not suffer from autoimmune or chronic psychosis.

      See, I did not once snap at you! You were not regurgitating, instead you were re-capping your opinion/obseravtions and I appreciate it!

      Delete
  6. Wow. 7 months!! That long??

    I used to like luncheon meat but not anymore. Mostly have it in sandwich. Rarely cook as a dish. But if do, then I like cook with onion and potatoes. Added more calories to eat. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, 7 months already I also can't believe it! I still enjoy luncheon meat but it depends on which brand. So far I like Lotte and Golden Bridge.

      Delete
  7. I thought I post a comment but looks like either I didn't or the comment went awol. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and your way forward. Just do what you feel is the best for yourself. 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment appeared earlier and I already replied. But it later went into spam and I don't understand how that happened. In fact sometimes even my own replies go into spam. So weird.

      Delete
    2. That happens to me too. My own comment disappeared and gets sent to spam. So weird.

      Delete
  8. Same like you, I don't like people regurgitating, especially question that have been asked me, then repeated again and again, I would get frustrated and mad. Unfortunately, my hubby is a person who like to regurgitate and "long gas" (Cheong Hei in Cantonese), so he always kena marah by me when he repeat his question more than 2 times to me. >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I have heard of the terminology "cheong hei" to mean "long winded" and now I learn it is "long gas" hah..hah...hah....

      Delete