Friday 19 April 2024

Tales From The Cage

When the kittens were old enough and able to walk, I could no longer confine them to a box.

To keep them (and mama) safe, I had to quarantine them in the evenings. You can understand what keeping the kittens safe means ie making sure they don't venture outside and get accidentally run over or fall into the longkang.


Now, by keeping mama safe, I was trying to reduce the probability of her going out on a date and getting knocked up again. Well, we all know this knocking up business can take place anytime of day but I just have to try some prevention measures.


I remember when exactly I bought this cage. It was back in 2019 on the day that my brother brought his cat (inherited from our late uncle) to my house to be cared by me.

After he dropped the cat off (in a carrier), we went to the pet shop in SS2 to buy the cage. Then we went to Kyochon for lunch.

Unfortunately, I was very careless. In the process of transferring the cat from the carrier, the cat ran away. I will tell that story in a future post.


So this was how I set up the cage for Kittie Kat & Co. I had a mat underneath with two underpads on top. But as cat owners know, your cat(s) will scratch and whatever lining you put will be sort of destroyed.

On a good day (or the morning after) it will look like this.


Scratched but dry with no offensive stuff deposited on the lining. I did not put a litterbox inside because there is not enough space. On a bad day, I have to deal with this. 


I have a horror story to tell. One Sunday evening as I was lounging on the sofa watching Law & Order : Special Victims Unit (around 6:00pm) I heard the kittens screaming (in the cage). They created quite a din and I had to go outside and see what was going on.

OH MY GOD! Kittie Kat offloaded a pile of soft stinky stools which was smeared all over the floor of the cage. It got on the mat (under the lining) and the tray at the bottom (and the grid of the cage).

So I had to let them out of the cage and clean up the mess. Haiz! That really spoiled my Sunday evening.


The following week I gave the cage a through clean up because it was stinky. I also washed and disinfected the floor under the cage.


Subsequently my technique for lining the cage evolved into this neat and tidy manner. No mat underneath, just a medium sized underpad anchored to four corners of the cage and a small underpad placed on top.


The kitties love to play on top of the cage. Then things evolved further.


I fashioned a litter box using the ProDiet cardboard boxes which fit very nicely into the cage.


It worked very well because now Kittie Kat and whichever kitten that stays with her can do their business in the box. Now only mama cat and one kitten (they take turns) go into the cage (due to lack of space).


The other two kittens share this big ass carrier which also has a cute litter box inside.


This worked out very well too. They do their business inside the litter box. Earlier on, I did not provide a litter box and in spite of the underpad, they made a mess in the carrier which I had to dismantle and wash thoroughly.


Of course Kittie Kat and her kittens protest being locked up and they make a lot of noise. I just ignore them and after a while they quiet down.


So now my routine (very early) in the morning is to prep their first meal of the day, put the plates at the feeding area and then release them from confinement.


They rush to feed while I clear the litter boxes and replace the underpads (when necessary). 


This arrangement has worked very well so far. No more (smelly) mess because the poop and pee business are done in the litter boxes. So it is less stressful for me.

Whatevery it is, I don't know how I ended up a slave to my cats >.<

20 comments:

  1. OMG that's a lot of work! I thought getting the kids ready for school in the morning was bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha :) I can see the kittens are complaining of them being locked up. Look at Poodie & TuTu! They feel like prisoners in the photo with Mama Kat ><.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! They protest very loudly but I just pretend I didn't hear them.

      Delete
  3. "Whatevery it is, I don't know how I ended up a slave to my cats" hahahaha, this sentence is so true. Ever since Nov 2019, I have been scooping 💩 every day. 😼

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha, 3 of them must be screaming Grandma grandma, ma's 💩 is very smelly, please clean it up, sos! Sos!
    Lucky for them, grandma quickly stopped watching TV and clean the cage else all 3 would have to endure the bad smell of their ma's 💩 Thanks, grandma 😻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They couldn't tahan the smell. It was very bad! Poor things and poor me. LOL!

      Delete
  5. Thank you again for keeping them safe. My brother also keeps his 8 cats in cages at night because that is the only responsible way to keep them safe. 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, pets give a lot of work... hahaha.. I am good for now... no need to wash my porch twice a day ever since my Labbie passed on. So you watch Law n Order too, I am at season 11 now. Any more nice series to watch on Netflix? Grace and Frankie are quite nice too, The Big Bang Theory as well... comedies that enlighten before going to sleep...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good ones I have watched are Narcos, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul (watch Breaking Bad first), Seven Seconds. I am currently watching Baby Reindeer. Wah...good to know that you also like Law and Order!

      Delete
  7. For your brother's cat, did you all print posters of missing cat and organised search parties? got the cat back?

    ReplyDelete
  8. When your kittens get bigger I wonder if they will be promoted to the Master Bedroom?? 😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aiyo, like that Ah Mah kena kicked out. LOL!

      Delete
  9. Not easy caring for them. Once they are bigger, they wouldn't want to be confined in cage. Maybe need bigger cage then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When they are bigger and spayed, I won't lock them up already. Merdeka! LOL!

      Delete
  10. The first photo of one big family is priceless....with the kitties trying to claw out (I can relate to that)! *wink wink* So, Kittie Kat & Poodie got the master suite while the other two got the standard room...lol. I'm sure you swap the kitties around so that every kitty gets to enjoy the master suite and all-you-can-drink milk all night...lol! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, they claw at the cage and the underpads get torn. One time Ah Boi even crawled under the underpad to look for a way out. LOL! Yes, I swap the kitties so that they have chance to stay with their mama.

      Delete