Tuesday 2 April 2024

Lamb Bones

Let me show you what was inside the packet of lamb bones that I bought last weekend.


It looked like there was quite a bit of meat in there.


I separated the bones and the meat, bones to be roasted in the oven while the meat to be cooked in the air fryer.


I roasted the bones at 180C for 30 minutes. You must be wondering why I did that.


I have seen on TV how western chefs roast bones before making stock. I did this primarily to extract the meat that are still stuck to the bones. 

There was quite a bit of meat which I gnawed like a little mouse! (somehow I picture this is how TM would describe it).


This was what was left after I ate the meat which settled my lunch. Now on to the lamb trimmings.


I used a kitchen scissors to cut the strips of meat into cubes. Yes, there is plenty of fat since lamb is very fatty. This lot was air fried at 200C for 14-16 minutes (agak-agak).


The meat shrunk and there were lots of fat rendered out.


The crispy parts of the fat were da bomb!


I will be on the lookout for some more lamb bone.


***Kitten Updates***

Now that the kittens are older, they are a bit of a headache. In a good way of course. More like cheeky amusement cum annoyance.


This is my little Poodie making herself very comfy in the flower pot.


Do you see someone sneaking behind the flower pot?


Hello Tutu Kat!


Very soon my lily plant is going to die.


This Ah Boi is looking very innocent in the presence of his mama and his auntie.


Ah Boi! Such big ears you have!

16 comments:

  1. I have yet to try eating crispy lamb fats. Do they taste similar to deep fried lard aka juyauzhar ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, similar and of course with the smell of lamb. Luckily the smell was not too strong.

      Delete
  2. Aiyor your 3 kittens are too adorable for words!!! Just look at ahboi, looking so innocent in your photo 😻so poodie and tutu like plants! Poor lily plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They melt my heart so can't scold them for messing up my plants. LOL!

      Delete
  3. Exact duplicate comment again. Wonder why it kept happening this way. Press one, two appeared so I deleted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never had lamb this way. I mean they look so good and who doesn't love some crispy meat 😍 and your kitties are so adorable! Anyway just wondering do you know of the Terengganu Peranakan dish called "chalwan"? Its described as "fish paste shaped into biscuits or fish balls in lemak or coconut-based gravy". I got this from the book titled "Yearning to Belong: Malaysia's Indian Muslims, Chitties, Portuguese Eurasians, Peranakan Chinese and Baweanese". Surely the wan in the name is related to bak uan, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have eaten "chalwan" and it was one of my late grandma's specialties. You could be right about the "wan" in "chalwan" since the fish paste is shaped like a meatball but flatter.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I wonder what they taste like. Over in Palembang they've got two dishes where fish cakes of some sort are cooked in coconut milk; Laksan and Celimpungan, which I find very unique cause I thought no other places got such dishes but apparently our own Terengganu got as well 😋

      Delete
    3. I don't know how to describe it hah..hah... it's like curry but very different. There is coconut milk in it for sure.

      Delete
  5. the kitties will soon be treating your garden like their playground with hide & seek and chasing around, lol! So far the mama kat and 3 kittens are still staying outside the house? only ah Girl & Belle are allowed to stay indoor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... ya... they like to kepoh-kepoh in the flowerpots. All my cats are outside since last year because due to my father's medical problems, I was not able to keep up with house cleaning. So they had to live outside and they are quite happy about it.

      Delete
  6. Posting of even more meat! Western chefs roast the bones before making stock which gives the stock depth of flavour. Chinese cooking is not in favour of roasting the bones/meat as they like their soup to look clear. I could do (and did) that when I made Borsch soup. I remember my mom using those big ass market-bought bone (like those you throw to a dog in cartoons) when she made soup and it was very tasty. P/S: AhBoi says "all the better to hear you with, Grandma"....hehehe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to buy those big ass pork bones to make bone broth and pork broth is superior to chicken broth in terms of taste. But I don't buy anymore due to cost and also it is time consuming. LOL on Ah Boi's ears!

      Delete
  7. So you're going to make lamb stock/soup with those bone? Looking forward to see the result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't. I just ate the meat stuck to the bones. LOL!

      Delete