Friday 30 August 2024

My Japanese Lunch

When was the last time I ate a Japanese meal? Honestly, I can't remember.

And I do miss those bento meals and sashimi! So I decided to give myself a treat at Fujisawa Izakaya, Damansara Utama (where else, right?) which is still around after all these years.


The decor has not changed much, even the decorations from downstairs all the way up the staircase.


I sat right across from where my partner and I sat on the floor seating back in 2019.


I was there at 12:00pm and had the whole place to myself.


You can order from the set lunch menu or the main menu.


The lighting was very dim and my eyesight not so good.


I had to do a lot of squinting to read the menu. I wanted the Buta Kimuchi Itame Set but that was not available (I later learnt that this outlet is pork-free). Dang!

So I had to squint some more and selected the Tori Karaage Curry Bento even though I am not so keen on Japanese curry.

Since I miss sashimi, I ordered Salmon Sahimi from the main menu.


There was this cute soy sauce dispenser. Then I noticed that it was wet at the bottom.


Tsk! Tsk!


This is the lemon water that comes with the bento. I requested for ice but got room temperature instead. But I did not complain (but gave a demerit).


The salmon sashimi was served first.


Oh yes, I enjoyed this. I could eat another portion but no, this thing is expensive.


This is my Tori Karaage Curry Bento. It came with a miso soup and a piece of beancurd.

The Japanese curry was thick and starchy but it tasted very good. I was surprised that I liked it. There was a quail egg and some vegetables and a big wedge of carrot in the curry. You can see in the center of the tray is a small serving of dried chili sambal.


The tori karaage (fried chicken) was very crispy and tasty as what Japanese fried chicken should be. A small wedge of lemon and Japanese omelette accompanied the fried chicken, all placed on top of the rice.

The salad was all right, lightly dressed in a citrusy dressing. The watermelon was very refreshing, another thing I haven't had in a long time.


So that was my first Japanese meal in a long, long time!


This is the location of this outlet, opposite RHB Bank and above Aftermeal. There is another outlet nearby called Fujisawa Kyanpu Bar. That I must investigate! LOL!

15 comments:

  1. Got condiment of sambal with a Japanese bento? O_o Haha....Malaysianised! I once had a green chilli paste with Japanese teppanyaki too...also Malaysianised...lol. I guess it's not as bad since it's teppanyaki and yours was curry rice with fried chicken. The Japanese curry I've had till now has not been to my liking. How I miss fruits too! >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes, curated to our Malaysian taste. It was actually very nice. I don't miss fruits at all hah..hah...

      Delete
  2. I haven't been to this eatery. Hahaha dried chili sambal for those who cannot live without sambal. Happy long weekend to you and all your fur kids ❤️😻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the sambal hee..hee.. No long weekend, normal only unless if Merdeka had fallen on Sunday.

      Delete
  3. The last time I visited a Japanese restaurant was around end July. I had craving for chawanmushi so went to Saboten Japanese Katsu restaurant to have my dinner. I wanted to joke with the staff restaurant name sounds like sabotage ten persons but he looked very stern so did not joke with him. The chawanmushi aka steamed egg with crab meat, chicken meat and ginkgo nut was warm, sweet and tasty. I also ordered agedashi tofu with soya sauce at S$2 per PC for small PC. The chicken katsu was sweet, juicy and tasty on its own, no need to add sauce, even though they have barbecue sauce for us to add on. I did not add sauce to it to enjoy the pure juicy authentic taste of the katsu. The cabbage strips with Japanese roasted sesame sauce was fresh and tasty too. They have refill of plain water and Japanese rice. I love Japanese rice bcos it is moist, tender and clump together and not coarse at all. I also enjoyed the vanilla ice. I would say I enjoyed the chicken katsu dinner 100%. The chicken katsu set costed S$20. Agedashi tofu one small PC S$2. Change from matcha green tea ic to vanilla ice additional charge of S$1.20. Iced water S$0.50. Total after 10% SC and 9% GST was S$28.42.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saboten = sabotage ten persons LOL! You are funny! Thanks for sharing your Japanese meal experience. If I were earning SGD I would say SGD28.42 is reasonable. My meal cost RM55.45 which is sap sap suey for you when converted to SGD.

      Delete
  4. From how you described the taste of the bento set from the fried chicken, the vegetables to the curry sauce I knew you had fully enjoyed your Japanese meal. Happy independence day! Enjoy your long weekends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! But no long weekend for me >.<

      Delete
  5. Have not had Japanese curry rice for a long long time! As I prefer Chinese and Indian curry, Japanese curry is a bit sweet to my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Must have felt so peaceful and felt like a queen to have the own restaurant to yourself without crowds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's my first time see Sambal was being served together with Karaage, it's 100% localized!

    ReplyDelete