Friday 23 August 2024

Meat and Microbes

You know I have been eating carbs lately. I have been enjoying rice, bread and pastries. Full disclosure!

When I do eat carbs, it will be one carb meal for the day and my second meal is my usual meat, either beef or pork. I had beef aversion recently but thankfully I am loving beef again.

Aeon at 1Utama does not sell el cheapo beef trimmings anymore (bah!) but fortunately Jaya Grocer continues to sell these cheap cuts of beef (and lamb trimmings too).

When I pick up beef trimmings, I always choose the ones with lots of fat. Lamb trimmings by default is always fatty.


Lean trimmings become very dry after air frying and I dislike that.


The fatty parts become crispy when air fried and of course some of the fats are rendered. I don't eat the rendered fat and the rendered fat can be saved and used for cooking.


I am glad that Jaya Grocer puts out a mix of fatty and lean trimmings. At one time they only sold the lean ones. Most people will shy away from the fatty cuts which means more for me.


I guess they realized that someone is buying up all the fat cuts and lately I have been seeing more packets of trimmings with lots of fat.


When I get tired of beef, pork comes to the rescue.


I always choose pork belly or if that is not available, I take pork loin. As long as it has a layer of fats, I will choose that.


I have been making fermented veggies as part of my meals not just because they are valuable for our gut microbiome but also because these fermented veggies make fatty meat taste amazing (and also cuts through the grease so won't feel so jelak).


In addition to kimchi, now I also eat sauerkraut.


The first time I had sauerkraut was at a German restaurant. It was sour and salty and not quite to my liking.


But somehow I like it now. I intend to make my own sauerkraut once this bottle is empty. Unfortunately, this store bought sauerkraut is pasteurized, meaning the bacteria is dead. Tsk! 


But if you ask me, I prefer kimchi to sauerkraut


If you want to know why the gut microbiome is so important, you can watch this Youtube video. I am not trying to influence you to become carnivore (or to eat fermented foods, that is a decision you make yourself) but just to share information which you may find useful. 


Knowledge must be shared for the benefit of all. 

6 comments:

  1. I don't like sauerkraut at all...some kimchi at least I can take. I guess I don't like fermented food (even if it's good for me...lol)! >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That's OK, there are others like you who don't appreciate fermented foods. At one time I could not accept the taste of plain yogurt or kefir but now I enjoy them.

      Delete
  2. I believe everyone needs good gut bacteria whether they are carnivores or not. Fortunately I like to eat fermented food, hehehe 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right. Well, good for you then, continue to enjoy fermented foods!

      Delete
  3. I like fermented food as well.

    ReplyDelete