Saturday 17 August 2024

Jay's Kitchen, Damansara Utama

So. The other day after an indulgence in carbohydrates (heh..heh...) I went on a walk around Damansara Uptown/Utama.


That's when I walked past Jay's Kitchen (along the same row of shophouses as Telekom).


Now, I have been in this area for centuries years and I remember stuff. Restaurants here come and go. I recalled that this spot used to be known as Heat Kitchen (never visited).


In fact, looking at the menu displayed outside the premises, one would find similarities. Here look.

Heat Kitchen.


Jay's Kitchen.


Perhaps this is a rebranding exercise or a change in management.


What I distinctly remembered on the menu (when I spotted the previous establishment) was the Iberico pork dishes.

So the very next day, I visited with a view of (finally) ordering the Iberico Pluma Steak (a whopping RM78.00).


As for my choice of drink, I was rather pleased to find coffee on the menu but alas, the coffee machine was broken.


The next best option for me was the Green Tea (RM7.00). As you can see, they serve alcohol here and it is the place for you if you like to minum-minum with your kakis in the evenings. 


As I was snapping the above photo, the boss (Jay I presume) nipped around with a plate of Nonya achar (achad as they call itfor me to sample.


Ah! I love achad! And this one was a very competent rendition (I am not saying this just because I got it free). Loved it!

It hit all the right spots (as what a good Nonya achar should be), thick and generous with crushed peanuts, although I have to admit that it was a tad too sweet for me.

For others, the sweet level would be just right, simply because I am sensitive to sweet taste.


My tea was served shortly and not too long after that, the Iberico Pluma Steak, served on a stone board (is that what it's called?)


There was the grilled Iberico pork slices served with the usual suspects of coleslaw (for our daily quota of veggies), potato wedges (ah! carb quota) and the not so usual Romesco sauce. 


As per my established protocol - protein first, then veggies and last, carbs. Besides, the Iberico pork is the star of the show and rightfully to be consumed first, eh?


Oh, yum! See that the meat is still pink? Cooked like that the meat retains it's tender bite and juiciness. It was slightly chewy (but not not overtly so) but I have good set of teeth, so no problem.

It was good. There was no porky smell, tasty even though only lightly seasoned with salt and pepper.


For some excitement, dip the pork in the Romesco sauce (which I found out is made of charred tomatoes and roasted red peppers, delish!) for an elevated experience.


Coleslaw is pretty standard, you get this at most places so it does not warrant a comment.


As for the potato wedges, oh, I liked this a lot. They were crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Very, very nice indeed.


I would say that with my positive experience, there will be future visits. There's a lot to choose from the menu and I will post it below so that you can check it out.



After I paid my bill, the boss was very nice and packed some achad for me to take home. Adoi! Paiseh! Paiseh!

Well, something to enjoy with my meats. A nice change from kimchi.

8 comments:

  1. Wah, I wonder why you still got the photos of Heat to compare with Jay? You search your HP photo album?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I searched my old post because I remembered writing about it.

      Delete
  2. Food looks good. I am sure you will be back for the iberico pork and also for the acar although it is too sweet for us who don't like a lot of sugar in sour or savoury dishes. 😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be back for more pork and other meat dishes and perhaps the carbs too from time to time.

      Delete
  3. I had Romesco sauce with Portuguese bread recently too (new post), and I like it! I love Acar too, I like it thick, but many I tried were rather watery....
    The pork like not fully cooked, is it safe to be consumed? I thought pork need to be fully cooked?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read and commented on your post earlier but today it disappeared LOL! I read that in the old days, not safe to eat pork that was not fully cooked due to parasites. Now it seems that better farming methods have made pig rearing environment cleaner and as such there is less risk of parasites.

      Delete
  4. Iberico pork is more expensive but always tastes better than normal pork, of course. It's also a pork that can be served and eaten medium rare which means its meat will be tender to the bite and not as chewy as normal pork which has to be fully cooked through. It also does not have any porky smell unlike some normal pork, that's why I like to eat iberico pork but only occasionally lah becos of the price. >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I first learnt about Iberico pork from your posts. Now it seems more accessible with more restaurants serving this wagyu of porks. Me too enjoy it a lot but like you said, it is hard on the pocket LOL!

      Delete